Keeping it cool: video card

vale

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004
I put together my own computer about a month ago. Everything was fine, except I was unhappy with the case. The case has at least four large fans, but that's the only thing good I can say about it. Anyway, I recently replaced the old case with a Lian Li. I love the new case! But, there's a problem. The Lian Li has four small fans. Fan #1 pulls hot air away from the CPU... very nice. Fan #2 is at the top of the case and blows out hot air that rises to the top of the case... very nice. Fan #3, #4 are located at the front of the case and draw in cool air.

The problem is that I have a large video card (8800GTS) and the fan attached to the card blows air DOWN... away from the case fans. I believe the hot air just wafts back up toward the video card. As a result, after about an hour of game playing, the video card gets about as hot as I want it to get (72C) while the rest of the system has more reasonable temperatures. I did not have such high temps with the old case.

I'm not sure how to solve this problem... other than getting another case, is there anything I can do to help cool the video card?

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You could buy an aftermarket cooling for the videocard (check newegg or ask around), even watercooling if you REALLY want to drop the temps
or you could mod the case to add another fan in the bottom to extract the hot air away from the video card.
hope it helps

TRENDING THREADS