HP Memory Upgrade

marksas

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I just inherited an HP a1120n Desktop that has only 512MB of DDR2 400 PC2 3200. Its split between (2) 256 sticks on slots 1 & 3. Of course i want to add another Gig to the mix but i'm unsure if i should use the remaining 2 slots for a dual channel kit or just 1 for a 1 gig stick so i can upgrade more in the future if need be with Vista, etc. The Mobo also supports up to 533, but i believe it will run at the slower 400 rate, is that correct?

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
If you don't want to try to buy OEM memory from HP, several memory companies are making OEM replacement RAM now. I'd suggest visiting the site of the maker of your choice and use their memory selector to choose. It's the best way to get memory that is guaranteed to work with OEM bios'.

Also, I'd buy a 1gb or 2gb kit and ditch the current memory so you do not mix ICs.

Mondoman

Splendid
I agree with XMS, except I definitely wouldn't throw away the modules already installed. Since the modules already installed were installed by HP and came with the system, any vendor that sells you memory with a compatibility guarantee is guaranteeing that the new memory will work properly along with the memory already installed.
Since 1GB modules tend to be premium-priced these days, I would just buy a 2x512MB kit for around $100, giving you a total of 1.5GB. Since your computer has only builtin Intel 900 graphics and no AGP or PCIe slot for a graphics card, and is otherwise a lower-end PC, i wouldn't spend more than $100 (for the memory) on upgrading it. Upgrading to a decent Vista version will cost $150 or more just for the software, and still will perform slower than XP. It'll be much more cost effective to buy a brand new Vista computer in a year or two -- you'll get dual-core, decent graphics, etc, for a lot less.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I agree with XMS, except I definitely wouldn't throw away the modules already installed. Since the modules already installed were installed by HP and came with the system, any vendor that sells you memory with a compatibility guarantee is guaranteeing that the new memory will work properly along with the memory already installed.
Since 1GB modules tend to be premium-priced these days, I would just buy a 2x512MB kit for around $100, giving you a total of 1.5GB. Since your computer has only builtin Intel 900 graphics and no AGP or PCIe slot for a graphics card, and is otherwise a lower-end PC, i wouldn't spend more than $100 (for the memory) on upgrading it. Upgrading to a decent Vista version will cost $150 or more just for the software, and still will perform slower than XP. It'll be much more cost effective to buy a brand new Vista computer in a year or two -- you'll get dual-core, decent graphics, etc, for a lot less.
But, he only has 3 memory slots so it's a max of 1280 with 2 x 512 + 1 x 256. Also, most boards with 3 DIMM slots tend to run better with 2 slots filled as you run into all sorts of memory density issues with older chipsets. Ideally, 2 single sided DIMMs are the best idea here.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
... he only has 3 memory slots ....
Googling indicates the computer has 4 DIMM slots, so it looks like I'm right here. :wink:Yeah, I misread the first post. However, I'd personally still stick a 2 x 1gb pair in it and ditch the 2 x 256mb modules.

marksas

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Thanks for the input guys - just to clarify a couple of things... yes the mobo has 4 dimm slots, 1 & 3 are being used. Also, the board itself is an Asus PTGD-LA or as HP calls it "Goldfish3-GL8E". Asus does not list their mobo anywhere on their site, i'm presuming because its made specifically for HP. Anyways, it seems there is more pc2 533 memory more available and may be a little cheaper than the 400, but i wanted to confirm that if they do work together, will the 533 run at the slower 400 speed? Also, i see no point in ditching the original memory if they do work together. Thanks.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I was not bagging on HP and especially now knowing the MOBO is an ASUS. I was a bit tired earlier when I posted.

Over the years, my upgrade experience with OEMs is that typically when you make a major jump in memory density (old 256 DIMMs are going to be 16mb or 32mb ICs) that you often suffer a performance hit to the newer memory. The newer stuff will likely be 64mb ICs at a minimum. Even if you buy approved OEM stuff to mix, and it does work, sometimes it does not work well.

However, the others posting here are correct about keeping and testing the memory. I did not mean to literally toss it in the trash. However, I'd test it thoroughly with the 256s and without the 256s to see if you do in fact taka performance hit using them. OEM bios' will typically slow things WAY down with all DIMM slots loaded to ensure stable operation.

Let us know how it works out.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was not bagging on HP and especially now knowing the MOBO is an ASUS.

Wow, that's just phuxed up. The majority of HP models come with Asus motherboards, and HP used to use Asus exclusively in the company's darkest days. Remember the MEW-AM? Intel 810 chipset motherboard by Asus for HP? Heh.

Asus makes trash boards the same as everyone else, you just have to contract them to do it.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

Wow, that's just phuxed up. The majority of HP models come with Asus motherboards, and HP used to use Asus exclusively in the company's darkest days. Remember the MEW-AM? Intel 810 chipset motherboard by Asus for HP? Heh.

Asus makes trash boards the same as everyone else, you just have to contract them to do it.Asus has released some trash retail/enthusiast MOBOs too. P4S8X anyone? In my personal experience, ASUS on the whole makes the best MOBOs going. By this I mean from the 1st release bios to revisions to follow up bios support, the whole package. But, if they start with a flawed or crap chipset (Intel 810 or SiS 648) then no amount of support and engineering is going to fix it.

Back on topic, it's a 915 chipset MOBO and is probably very close to the Intel reference design with a little ASUS and HP mixed in. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00300046&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=ru&product=449151

It should be a fine system and may in fact do well with the 4 DIMMs.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
The missing PCI-Express x16 slot should be our first clue that you could probably get a better board from PC-Chips.
Uhmmm...wouldn't you think, regardless of manufacturer, that is a cost saving measure on behalf of the design spec set out by HP? It's apparent you don't like ASUS but, isn't this a bit off topic too?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It has nothing to do with whether or not I like Asus, ECS makes some good boards too. It's just that when you take away Asus' "best" boards, you have no other reason to consider Asus over any other brand.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It has nothing to do with whether or not I like Asus, ECS makes some good boards too. It's just that when you take away Asus' "best" boards, you have no other reason to consider Asus over any other brand.
In this thread we're talking about a memory upgrade for an OEM HP system using a board made by ASUS? I'm confused as to what (relevent) point you are trying to make. :|

Asus makes trash boards the same as everyone else, you just have to contract them to do it.

PLEASE....will you let me forget about that board....PLEASE....on the plus side....it did take other ram fine :)