XP LINUX

Tags:
  • Linux
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
July 23, 2006 1:55:08 PM

I have 3 computers running XP and one on Ubuntu Linux. An XP computer has the printer. I am trying to get the linux to print (Open Office, Internet), but it wont.
Linux recognizes the other 3 computers, and the other 3 recogonize Linux, but when I try to look into the Linux from XP, a window pops up and says: "Connect to locolhost.localdomain" and has two spaces to fill. One asks for the username and the other askes for the password. I have tried every combination I can think of and I just can't get through! What is it that I am missing?

More about : linux

July 23, 2006 3:31:52 PM

There are several settings in you Samba config file. I'm more familiar with redhat/fedora and debian, but it is probably /etc/samba/smb.conf or /etc/smb.conf to work with XP you want to enable encrypted passwords and make sure you have shared what you want shared (i.e. home). There are also options of setting up seperate accounts for samba or just using the unix accounts already setup on your computer. I don't know ho wthis is done, except through webmin ('splained below, it used to default to just work with unix accounts back i nthe day when I lkearned the text). If you not comfortable working with the config file directly, there is probably a GUI tool built in you can use. It's a good idea to at least read through the config file to get an idea what stuff does.

IMHO it's always best to learn the text first, then you can use the GUI tools, but if you just want to run the computer and have it work, you might just use the GUI. That being said, I highly recommend installing webmin (google it). It makes all of your Linux admin duties a snap and you can do it from any browser, remote or local. After installing it, just hit http://yourlinuxboxesipaddy:10000 or http://localhost:10000 works if you are on the Linux box. Username root and your root password get's you in hte first time, then you can setup webmin accounts with permissions to some or all of the stuff. I just continue to use the root account. webmin definately makes file and printer sharing easier!

I hope this helps. If you still have problems, I will put some more thought into it. You might cut/paste your smb.conf into a post. That might not be a good idea if the Linux box is your firewall and is right on the internet. Nothing secret there, but hackers like anything they can get their hands to to get a little info.
July 24, 2006 11:20:57 PM

I went and downloaded and installed Webmin, but when I get on the net, I can't login. It will not let me login with my username and password that I use when I turn on the computer. Am I to look for another password?
July 24, 2006 11:40:31 PM

You must use username "root" and your root password to get in the first time. Are you connecting to it from the linux box or a windows PC? I would try locally from the linux box first, to be sure it's working OK.
July 24, 2006 11:53:30 PM

What do you mean locally from the linux box?
Right now I am on my Linux computer which is connected to the internet through a router. Maybe I should get a router with a USB printer port?
But I really would like to learn Linux. If I could tackel this, It would go a long way to working with Linux which I use to do my banking with.
July 25, 2006 2:37:52 AM

OK, once webmin is up and running, you can access it from any computer on your local network (or VPN). If you are working on the Linux computer using its' own keyboard and video to run Mozilla (or other Linux web browser) and access webmin, I call that local. If you get on one of your windows boxes, open it's browser, then access the Linux boxes webmin from the windows browser, you are running it remotely.

Running directly from the Linux box, this should work: http://localhost:10000

Do you get the webmin login prompt? If so, it's installed and running. You probably just need to login with root and your root password.
July 26, 2006 12:09:14 AM

Yes, I get the webmin login prompt, but every time I try, I can't get in. I tried writing "root" then the two passwords I know, and still I don’t get through. I even tried no password. I just don’t know what my password is. How can I find out and how can I change it?
July 26, 2006 12:21:34 AM

Sorry I don't know Ubuntu. I'm sure there is a backdoor way to get at the root password. It must have had you punch it in upon install (or did someone else install it?). Hit their site and search the docs for "reset password." If not there, try http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-...

Once you get that reset, use it only for administrative duties. User "root" is God on a Linux box. Like administrator on XP, but it actually works (jab jab jab).

Anyhting else I can help you with, please ask. I love helping new Linux people! It's a good way to promote the great OS it is.
July 27, 2006 12:38:19 AM

OK! Thank you I got in but I just don't know where to go from here.
But I am moving forward that is for sure.
July 27, 2006 5:07:39 PM

Quote:
I have 3 computers running XP and one on Ubuntu Linux. An XP computer has the printer. I am trying to get the linux to print (Open Office, Internet), but it wont.
Linux recognizes the other 3 computers, and the other 3 recogonize Linux, but when I try to look into the Linux from XP, a window pops up and says: "Connect to locolhost.localdomain" and has two spaces to fill. One asks for the username and the other askes for the password. I have tried every combination I can think of and I just can't get through! What is it that I am missing?

Sorry I am a little slow to respond, as I am over loaded at work.

After you login as root, login to webmin, that is, it's probably best to go to the "webmin users" button and setup a 2nd webmin account with it's own password. You can use your normal Linux username/password if you like.

Alternately, at the bottom of the web page that opens when you click the"webmin users" button, is a "Convert Unix to Webmin users" which might be a handy way to do the same thing?

After you have a 2nd webmin account estup and are ready to work on the sharing problem, click on the "servers" icon at the top of any of the webmin pages, then go to the "Samba Windows File Sharing" towards the bottom of hte "servers" page. From there, there are many, many options and buttons for you to play with. Look around and ask if you have questions. Too much to describe in a forum, but we can help when you have questions.

From the Samba Windows file sharing page you should now be looking at, you can create/edit new shares (both file and printer), manage Samba users, and manipulate the smb.conf file from easy to use GUI. Also note the Search Docs..
tab at the top (hint hint!!!).

At the bottom of this page should be either a "start Samba server" button, or a "restart Samba server" button. If it is a "start Samba server" button, guess what? The server is not running, and that may be your problem. Start it! :D  Otherwise, look over the config file and look a the documentation. In the past, I've had trouble with encrypted vs. non- encrypted passwords, so you might look under the authentication icon, and check your XP settings (if you can find them... they do exist).

You might also want to look at the SWAT icon. SWAT is another Samba configuration tool. I have not really used it, but it is an easy way to access the docs.

Keep at it, and feel free to ask anything. I might not know the answer, but I might be able to point you in the right direction. Samba is very, very stable and if you get it setup right, you will have a very reliable file server. It's worth the effort and learning is fun!
July 29, 2006 12:38:29 PM

Thanks knudsen! I will be looking at his later. I really appreciate this. Maybe I should be in the Linux section for the rest of this.
My biggest problem is that I learn much better from another person there showing rather then reading a book. I feel it takes too long and it's like reading an instruction manual, and with me being a male, I tend to avoid.
However I will keep trying.
Thanks again.
July 29, 2006 12:47:10 PM

Yup, just keep messing with it and you'll pick it up. Got your install disks? Worst case, reinstall. Learning is fun!
!