uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I have a Seagate Sata3 320 gig HD
I want to mirror it instead of messing with an external hd.
So I was thinking of buying another, but do I have to set that up before I load windows or can I buy the HD now and add it.
I've already got windows loaded.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I may have a better idea for you to get more use out of it and accomplish the same thing as a mirror - saving your setup.

Set it up as a "D" drive and create a folder called C_Image, and throw images over there every week or so. You only have to keep two - you keep deleting the oldest one as you add.

Plenty of room, also, to set up other folders and use the drive for storage of music, videos, your mail storefolder, documents and letters, etc.

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
The thing is I already have the primary drive setup as three partitions cause I had XP, vista RC1, and a folder for just documents if the os had to be reloaded.
I have an intel 965 board with 6 sata, so I have the ports.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Raid setup require you to load the drivers before loading windows. If you loaded these prior to your initial install, you can add the second drive, then setup the mirror.

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
So I would have to back up everything then right?
Cause I have windows on a seperate partition, but if I want all of it mirrored then I would have to reload the entire HD right?

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I believe the process will end up erasing your original drive when you set it up as riad1. I plan to do the same thing this weekend on 2 320gig HD's

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Raid setup require you to load the drivers before loading windows. If you loaded these prior to your initial install, you can add the second drive, then setup the mirror.
Usually when you do this the controller considers the single drive in a raid a raid0 by default. I dont know if you can convert it to raid1. :?:

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
You can add a new drive to mirror you old one without messing up windows usually. When you F6'd during windows install on you sata you probably loaded raid drivers even though it was not a raid - windows sees the raid driver as a drive and the raid driver sees a JBOD raid of 1 drive. Now when you add another, make sure sure sure you know which serial number is which drive (by noting down your primary before even plugging in the other). Then with both plugged in you probably get a press F4 or something to enter raid setup - do that and set your original drive as source and your new one as mirror, the raid controller will mirror your drive onto the other for ~2hours and then it is done, you have a RAID 1 mirror setup!

Jo

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
So if I try this where and when do I press F4?

Right after or during POST usually, but check the back of your mobo manual for instuctions. You should be able to enter the raid utility (looks similar to bios) even with only 1 drive, you just won't have any options - try this before plugging in another drive to get your main's serial number.

And for the love of god back up anything important on another drive, a friend's machine... since if you mirror the wrong way around, you will lose everything - I have done this but had backed up dilligently. Of course in this case you could get it back with active undelete but anyway backup!!!!

Jo