BFG GeForce 7950GT OC 512mb help

ph33rgear

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Ok well, I was running a ATi x700Pro 256mb card which pretty much sucked for any of the new games (bf2142). So last night I went out and bought a BFG GeForce 7950GT OC 512mb card.

First I uninstalled the ati drivers, using the ati uninstall utility. Rebooted, made sure that there was nothing left from ATi then shutdown to install the card. Installed it, plugged the 6 pin in etc.. then rebooted. I then went to the nvidia website and downloaded that new drivers and installed them. Which seemed to have went well.

I then loaded battlefield 2142 and set all graphics settings on high, which looks great, the problem is now once a map loads, a little "join game" button is supposed to appear which would within seconds of loading a map with the x700pro, but now with the new card it seems to take a while to load, and my first few minutes of play a chuggy, then after about 5 mins the games seems to run smooth without any chugging except for a 1-2 second chug every now and then, but its very playable although my understanding is that most people can run this game full settings at a VERY smooth rate. I don't know how to check my FPS in bf2142 other then if I were to use fraps, i dont know if or how the bf2142 has a FPS clock in it.

Anyone know why the performance isn't optimal? I didn't try playing with any settings yet really, i understood that it should perform pretty good without any straight out of the box.

My pc specs:
asus a8n-e nforce 4 motherboard (latest bios version)
AMD64 3800+
1gig of ram ddr2 400
BFG GeForce 7950GT OC 512mb
enermax noisetaker 600watt psu
windows xp sp2 with all other current updates

anyone have any ideas for getting this card running optimal? maybe some suggestions to try.

And thank you very much in advance

ph33rgear

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
oh I though I should mention as well that i played Call of Duty 2, with all settings maxed out and i was only getting FPS of around 70. Which is fine and it looks great, just that others i saw reported that they were getting 150+

Thanks again

Scrimmage

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Is your virusscan disabled while playing this game? I've seen them cause intermittent "chugs" before, for instance when you hear a sound for the first time in a level (sound file was being scanned before loading into memory).

ph33rgear

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Is your virusscan disabled while playing this game? I've seen them cause intermittent "chugs" before, for instance when you hear a sound for the first time in a level (sound file was being scanned before loading into memory).

ahh good point. Although I did not notice this before I changed cards from the old x700pro so if that was the cause It would have done that no matter the video card, not just when I switched to the GeForce 7050GT OC.

Thanks for the reply, It could just happen to be a game issue with bf2142. Because other then that it seems to run great. And whoever said it was loud :? i have no idea what they were talking about, cuz my x700pro was about 3 times as loud as this card.

anyone else know how I can tweak it more?