Prevent Running of Unauthorized Program via GPO

Hi,
I need to prevent use of unauthorized program (game or unlicensed copy of
program) on the computer of my organization.

Is that possible with GPO ?

Hint are very appreciated.

Lorenzo
6 answers Last reply
More about prevent running unauthorized program

    Create the GPO, in the GPO you can enable the: Run only
    Allowed Windows applications, Under the user
    configuration, administrative templates, and then click
    on the system folder. Here you put in the executables for
    the programs that are allowed. Example word.exe, or
    PHOTOED.EXE. Not sure if it is case sensative in 2k or
    2k3, it was in NT4. Anything that is not in here should
    not run, should get a restriction error.

    Juan Gil

    Problem with this theory...

    They can still be run from a command prompt...

    If you are trying to prevent users from running specific applications, and
    you use the "run only allowed windows applications" (KIOSK) methodology, you
    will also have to take away the command prompt... This setting and "Don't
    run specified windows applications" are specific only to the windows
    shell... executing from a command prompt is a workaround...

    Windows 2003 AD has software restriction policies that have heirarchy
    "rules" that allow you to set the functionality that you are most likely
    looking for... I have another solution that was built for a large
    organization for 2000... If you are interested you can contact me
    directly...

    Stew Basterash

    > Create the GPO, in the GPO you can enable the: Run only
    > Allowed Windows applications, Under the user
    > configuration, administrative templates, and then click
    > on the system folder. Here you put in the executables for
    > the programs that are allowed. Example word.exe, or
    > PHOTOED.EXE. Not sure if it is case sensative in 2k or
    > 2k3, it was in NT4. Anything that is not in here should
    > not run, should get a restriction error.
    >
    > Juan Gil

    You are correct. I failed to mention that we run a
    profiled environment here. Each department is locked down
    to just what they need to run. No icons on the desktop.
    No control panel or run prompt.

    Juan

    If you check in the group policy you will be able to find a policy to
    prevent certain applications that you list from running, please
    beaware that you will also need to block the run command cause the
    programmes can be run from the dos prompt

    "xxx" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message news:<#LbnIpvGEHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > Hi,
    > I need to prevent use of unauthorized program (game or unlicensed copy of
    > program) on the computer of my organization.
    >
    > Is that possible with GPO ?
    >
    > Hint are very appreciated.
    >
    > Lorenzo
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

    Greetings,

    This policy has killed the default Windows XP theme from being applied
    during the first logon of a restricted user. Presumably, there is an
    executable required for loading the default theme. Anyone know what it is
    and any other required executables for Windows XP to run correctly,
    especially during the first logon?

    Thanks

    Eric

    > Create the GPO, in the GPO you can enable the: Run only
    > Allowed Windows applications, Under the user
    > configuration, administrative templates, and then click
    > on the system folder. Here you put in the executables for
    > the programs that are allowed. Example word.exe, or
    > PHOTOED.EXE. Not sure if it is case sensative in 2k or
    > 2k3, it was in NT4. Anything that is not in here should
    > not run, should get a restriction error.
    >
    > Juan Gil

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

    Since you have XP Pro clients, look into using Software Restriction Policies to
    control unauthorized software from being run and you can manage it at the domain
    level for XP Pro machines by managing Group Policy for the domain from an XP Pro
    domain machine. SRP are very powerful once you figure out how to apply them via
    path/hash/certificate rules and local administrators can be exempted in the
    enforcement rule. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310791
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307900

    "Software Department" <newsgroups@jbtool.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > This policy has killed the default Windows XP theme from being applied
    > during the first logon of a restricted user. Presumably, there is an
    > executable required for loading the default theme. Anyone know what it is
    > and any other required executables for Windows XP to run correctly,
    > especially during the first logon?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Eric
    >
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Create the GPO, in the GPO you can enable the: Run only
    > > Allowed Windows applications, Under the user
    > > configuration, administrative templates, and then click
    > > on the system folder. Here you put in the executables for
    > > the programs that are allowed. Example word.exe, or
    > > PHOTOED.EXE. Not sure if it is case sensative in 2k or
    > > 2k3, it was in NT4. Anything that is not in here should
    > > not run, should get a restriction error.
    > >
    > > Juan Gil

Policy Microsoft Windows