Sign in with
Your question
Closed

No audio after windows 7 installation

Last response: in Windows 7
July 1, 2011 7:23:26 PM

I have a stock Dell Inspiron 9300. The onboard audio controller is Sigmatel STAC9750 AC'97. Recently, I installed Windows 7. Since that installation I have no sound. When I hover over the speaker icon (which has an x over it) I get the message that "no audio output device is installed."
Likewise when I right click and open the sound window... "no audio devices are installed."
When I use the audio trouble shooter it goes through the motions and says it has made changes which accomplish nothing. It says "Hardware changes might not have been detected." and the resolution..."Detected"
I have gone to the device manager and found, under "other devices"... a yellow triangle with an exclamation point over "Multimedia Audio Controller". When double clicked the properties window states "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver." Clicking on update resolves nothing. It can't seem to find any.
I have scoured the various forums, including Tom's. I have googled for the drivers. I have gone to dell seeking them. I have installed what I found although it says it's for XP. I have disabled and re-enabled what is there. Nothing. Still no Audio device installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
July 1, 2011 7:36:17 PM

Your system won't see the XP drivers anyway but you can try going to the Device Manager and right clicking your computer's name there. You'll see an option that says add legacy hardware. Follow the steps and click on have disk when you can. Go to the folder of the drivers you installed and try installing from here. It'll take a few minutes of your time and its not guaranteed to work but its worth a shot.
Score
July 1, 2011 8:05:48 PM

Thanks. I tried this just now and it failed. I got the following message,

"The following hardware was not installed. SigmaTel C-Major Audio. An error occurred during the installation of the device. A device attached to the system is not functioning."

This would seem to suggest a hardware failure and while I can not discount the possibility, it seems rather coincidental that it would happen suddenly when I installed windows 7. Any other suggestions? Anyone?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

July 1, 2011 8:41:52 PM

Interestingly enough I found a solution at the following link...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

I had to improvise a bit though. I first deleted the previous drivers that I had installed and then restated the computer. I next re-downloaded the drivers from Dell for XP to the desktop. I then right clicked and chose Troubleshoot Compatibility. I then more or less followed the steps. Once the computer established the settings I double clicked on the Icon and ran the install... baddabing ...Sound.
July 1, 2011 8:45:47 PM

One more thing that I can suggest is getting the Cobra Driver Pack which is what I use for older drivers.
http://drp.su/download.htm
I'm happy that you could find a solution :D  but still get the driver pack if you deal with a lot of old computers like me :D 
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
July 1, 2011 10:36:40 PM

Best answer selected by area51reopened.
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
July 1, 2011 10:36:48 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!