startup scripts for computers

I am writing a startup script sp that it runs when a computer starts up. So
I have written a script and added in the computer configuration and then in
startup script in group policy in a OU and place the computers in the OU.
But when the computer starts up it does not run the script. The script is
an aida32 script which audits remote pc's and then adds the results into a
database. But my question is is there a specific format startup scripts use
and can startup scripts allow computers to access remote computers on the
network without logging on. In the script I added the UNC Path like
\\server\share., but the script does not run. ANy ideas of why it might not
run.

"gurvinder.nijjar" <gsnijjar@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#BxkGt6GEHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> I am writing a startup script sp that it runs when a computer starts up. So
> I have written a script and added in the computer configuration and then in
> startup script in group policy in a OU and place the computers in the OU.
> But when the computer starts up it does not run the script. The script is
> an aida32 script which audits remote pc's and then adds the results into a
> database. But my question is is there a specific format startup scripts use
> and can startup scripts allow computers to access remote computers on the
> network without logging on. In the script I added the UNC Path like
> \\server\share., but the script does not run. ANy ideas of why it might not
> run.

Startup scripts usually run under "local system" credentials. These
do not have rights outside of the local system. You can put a
net use \\server\share /user:domain\username <password>
in the script to use alternate credentials for network access.

This, of course, is a security hole. But it can be minimized.

--
Matt Hickman
I don't charge for world saving and don't do it to order;

"Domain Computers" is a natural group for all computers that are members of
a domain... Use this group to set security on network resouces required by
your sciript...

> I am writing a startup script sp that it runs when a computer starts up.
So
> I have written a script and added in the computer configuration and then
in
> startup script in group policy in a OU and place the computers in the OU.
> But when the computer starts up it does not run the script. The script is
> an aida32 script which audits remote pc's and then adds the results into a
> database. But my question is is there a specific format startup scripts
use
> and can startup scripts allow computers to access remote computers on the
> network without logging on. In the script I added the UNC Path like
> \\server\share., but the script does not run. ANy ideas of why it might
not
> run.

I have to agree with Stew on this one. Here is a way to test whether you've
given properly assigned the computer permissions to the script (without
rebooting the machine):
1. While logged on as an Administrator schedule cmd.exe to run as a
scheduled task with the at command one minute from the current time with the
\interactive option. ex: AT \\machinethatyouareon 21:07 /INTERACTIVE cmd.exe
2. When this command prompt window appears attempt to map to the share where
your script is located. (This window is running as SYSTEM, (your computer)
if you can connect to the share and run the script from here, it should work
when you reboot.)
3. If this does not work and you still are unable to run the script, run
gpresult /v and verify that the Group Policy object in question is being
applied; if it is not we can troubleshoot it more.

Adam Arndt

Adam Arndt

Stew Basterash" <stewartbash@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Domain Computers" is a natural group for all computers that are members
of
> a domain... Use this group to set security on network resouces required by
> your sciript...
>
> "gurvinder.nijjar" <gsnijjar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am writing a startup script sp that it runs when a computer starts up.
> So
> > I have written a script and added in the computer configuration and then
> in
> > startup script in group policy in a OU and place the computers in the
OU.
> > But when the computer starts up it does not run the script. The script
is
> > an aida32 script which audits remote pc's and then adds the results into
> > database. But my question is is there a specific format startup scripts
> use
> > and can startup scripts allow computers to access remote computers on
the
> > network without logging on. In the script I added the UNC Path like
> > \\server\share., but the script does not run. ANy ideas of why it might
> not
> > run.

TRENDING THREADS