Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Palm to Windows Mobile HELP!

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 11:48:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

My freind has a Palm Vx with Palm Desktop version 4.1 and has purchased a
Dell X30 (624 MHz) with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. He needs to
transfer the data, particularly the calendar and contacts, from Palm to
Outlook. There one serious twist: the Palm Vx no longer functions at all,
the screen is completely blank and there is no response for any action.
From what I can tell, there is no way to import the data into Outlook in the
Palm file format (*.dat). Is there any way that this can be done without
purchasing a software program?

Thanks!

Fr. Ronald Gripshover

More about : palm windows mobile

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 12:26:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

If I am understanding your question correctly, you have a Palm that does not
function, at all. You would like to transfer the data from it to the
PocketPC? If it (the Palm) does not respond at all, I believe it is unlikely
you will get anything from it.

However data stored on the PC, should transfer to the PocketPC. *If* you
where using Outlook, it should be downloaded to the Dell X30. If on your PC
you where using something else as the PIM manager, then I suspect you'll
need to move it to Outlook. And if the data was not on your PC my guess is
it is now gone.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

Handhelds, mobile: http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449

"Fr. Ronald Gripshover Jr" <fr.gripshover@trincomm.org> wrote in message
news:uo1ygDDPFHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> My freind has a Palm Vx with Palm Desktop version 4.1 and has purchased a
> Dell X30 (624 MHz) with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. He needs to
> transfer the data, particularly the calendar and contacts, from Palm to
> Outlook. There one serious twist: the Palm Vx no longer functions at all,
> the screen is completely blank and there is no response for any action.
> From what I can tell, there is no way to import the data into Outlook in
> the Palm file format (*.dat). Is there any way that this can be done
> without purchasing a software program?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Fr. Ronald Gripshover
>
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 2:05:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Mr. Hettel, I was not clear in my first post. The data that I need to
transfer is stored on a PC in the Palm Desktop format (the old PIM), which
is in a file named "datebook.dat". The reason that I mentioned that the
Palm Vx no longer functions is that I read online somewhere that the data
could be moved by syncing the Palm with Outlook; this options, sadly, is not
available since the device does not work. I do not expect there to be any
data on the device anyway.

More to the point: I need to import the calendar file referred to above into
Outlook (this will change the PIM from the Palm Desktop to Outlook). I
thought that I could employ the Import/Export function in Outlook, but it
does not seem to recognize that particular format. Thus, I have run out of
ideas. It is my hope that there is a way to do this without purchasing a
program, which would only be used once.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Fr. Gripshover


"David Hettel MS MVP - Mobile Devices" <dhettel@fuse.net> wrote in message
news:o RKMSZDPFHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> If I am understanding your question correctly, you have a Palm that does
> not function, at all. You would like to transfer the data from it to the
> PocketPC? If it (the Palm) does not respond at all, I believe it is
> unlikely you will get anything from it.
>
> However data stored on the PC, should transfer to the PocketPC. *If* you
> where using Outlook, it should be downloaded to the Dell X30. If on your
> PC you where using something else as the PIM manager, then I suspect
> you'll need to move it to Outlook. And if the data was not on your PC my
> guess is it is now gone.
>
> --
> David Hettel
> Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>
> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
> You assume all risks for your use.
>
> Handhelds, mobile: http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>
> "Fr. Ronald Gripshover Jr" <fr.gripshover@trincomm.org> wrote in message
> news:uo1ygDDPFHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> My freind has a Palm Vx with Palm Desktop version 4.1 and has purchased a
>> Dell X30 (624 MHz) with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. He needs to
>> transfer the data, particularly the calendar and contacts, from Palm to
>> Outlook. There one serious twist: the Palm Vx no longer functions at
>> all, the screen is completely blank and there is no response for any
>> action. From what I can tell, there is no way to import the data into
>> Outlook in the Palm file format (*.dat). Is there any way that this can
>> be done without purchasing a software program?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Fr. Ronald Gripshover
>>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 3:01:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Fr. Ronald Gripshover Jr" <fr.gripshover@trincomm.org> wrote in message
news:uo1ygDDPFHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| My freind has a Palm Vx with Palm Desktop version 4.1 and has purchased a
| Dell X30 (624 MHz) with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. He needs to
| transfer the data, particularly the calendar and contacts, from Palm to
| Outlook. There one serious twist: the Palm Vx no longer functions at all,
| the screen is completely blank and there is no response for any action.
| From what I can tell, there is no way to import the data into Outlook in
the
| Palm file format (*.dat). Is there any way that this can be done without
| purchasing a software program?
|
| Thanks!
|
| Fr. Ronald Gripshover


Borrow a Friends palm, re-set it. restore YOUR backup to it. sync with
outlook, (thus getting all your info to outlook) then re-set it again,
restore original backup to the borrowed palm, restoring it back to how you
got it.

or... pony up the $19.95 for chapura's pocketcopy, which will move your
data from palm desktop to outlook with no sync required.

or.. have heard people doing something with a free yahoo mail acount and
it's ability to sync with your desktop PIM, and thus using it as a
go-between from palm to outlook, but I've never really looked into this.
April 8, 2005 5:01:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Dang.

I'm watching this topic with interest - I recently had my Palm stolen,
and I ordered a Dell X50v to replace it.... and now, when it's too
late, I'm hearing that I won't be able to get my contacts and calendar
into PocketPC? I thought it was going to be straightforward; after all,
the Palms have a PPC-> PalmOS migration tool.

I checked my Zire installation CD, and of course, Chapura's
PocketMirror won't work without Outlook (a program I've never wanted or
needed, and won't spend $110 for) installed. I've tried to sync the
desktop to Yahoo's Intellisync, but it doesn't work without a Palm to
put into the cradle. I've checked around on a few freeware sites, no
joy. I'm f****d, unless I cough up for a peice of software that costs
$20 per second of use.

Anyone know how to get Yahoo's Intellisync to work without an actual
Palm? It apparently worked in the past.....

ECM
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 7:33:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Fr. Ronald Gripshover Jr" <fr.gripshover@trincomm.org> wrote in message
news:uo1ygDDPFHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> My freind has a Palm Vx with Palm Desktop version 4.1 and has purchased a
> Dell X30 (624 MHz) with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. He needs to
> transfer the data, particularly the calendar and contacts, from Palm to
> Outlook. There one serious twist: the Palm Vx no longer functions at all,
> the screen is completely blank and there is no response for any action.
> From what I can tell, there is no way to import the data into Outlook in
> the Palm file format (*.dat). Is there any way that this can be done
> without purchasing a software program?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Fr. Ronald Gripshover
>
If the data is still in Palm Desktop on the PC, you can export it to .CSV
(comma, seperated values) and inport into Outlook
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 7:42:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Fr. Ronald Gripshover Jr layed this on us:

> Mr. Hettel, I was not clear in my first post. The data that I
> need to transfer is stored on a PC in the Palm Desktop format (the
> old PIM), which is in a file named "datebook.dat". The reason
> that I mentioned that the Palm Vx no longer functions is that I
> read online somewhere that the data could be moved by syncing the
> Palm with Outlook; this options, sadly, is not available since the
> device does not work. I do not expect there to be any data on the
> device anyway.
>
> More to the point: I need to import the calendar file referred to
> above into Outlook (this will change the PIM from the Palm Desktop
> to Outlook). I thought that I could employ the Import/Export
> function in Outlook, but it does not seem to recognize that
> particular format. Thus, I have run out of ideas. It is my hope
> that there is a way to do this without purchasing a program, which
> would only be used once.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, just an idea.

There is an option on my Palm install CD that allows me to change how
the Palm syncs with my computer. I have inserted that CD and told it
to change to sync with Outlook instead of the Palm Desktop. What I
don't remember is if an actual sync needed to be done with the
handheld or if it synced the data from the Palm Desktop to Outlook as
a part of the config change.

A stab in the dark...

--
Bob Halberg
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 7:47:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

jren57 layed this on us:

> If the data is still in Palm Desktop on the PC, you can export it
> to .CSV (comma, seperated values) and inport into Outlook

That's an export option on Contacts and Memos but is not on Calendar
and Tasks. At least not on my version of Palm Dekstop...

--
Bob Halberg
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 7:47:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I will see if this is the case for the version my freind has on his
computer. I hope that it I can save is in csv version.

Is it just me or does this seem to be much more difficult than it should be?
Has anyone heard if MS has a solution for this? I searches on their site,
but did not find anything useful, though I may not have employed the proper
phrase to search.

Are there any other ideas out there in case these fine suggestions don't
work?

Fr. Gripshover

"Bob Halberg" <nunya@business.invalid> wrote in message
news:sIx5e.7585209$f47.1394611@news.easynews.com...
> jren57 layed this on us:
>
>> If the data is still in Palm Desktop on the PC, you can export it
>> to .CSV (comma, seperated values) and inport into Outlook
>
> That's an export option on Contacts and Memos but is not on Calendar
> and Tasks. At least not on my version of Palm Dekstop...
>
> --
> Bob Halberg
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:24:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I agree! I thought that it would be straight forward as well, but that does
not seem to be the case. Any other ideas out there????

Fr. Gripshover


"ecm" <thedeepabyss@whoever.com> wrote in message
news:1112990488.255951.324970@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Dang.
>
> I'm watching this topic with interest - I recently had my Palm stolen,
> and I ordered a Dell X50v to replace it.... and now, when it's too
> late, I'm hearing that I won't be able to get my contacts and calendar
> into PocketPC? I thought it was going to be straightforward; after all,
> the Palms have a PPC-> PalmOS migration tool.
>
> I checked my Zire installation CD, and of course, Chapura's
> PocketMirror won't work without Outlook (a program I've never wanted or
> needed, and won't spend $110 for) installed. I've tried to sync the
> desktop to Yahoo's Intellisync, but it doesn't work without a Palm to
> put into the cradle. I've checked around on a few freeware sites, no
> joy. I'm f****d, unless I cough up for a peice of software that costs
> $20 per second of use.
>
> Anyone know how to get Yahoo's Intellisync to work without an actual
> Palm? It apparently worked in the past.....
>
> ECM
>
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:45:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

It's easy to export all of your data from hotsync to a comma delimited
file, then use the outlook import wizard to bring it into outlook which
makes it ready to sync.

The only "gotcha" that I enountered with this is that the wizard shows
only "name" for a contact, but, if you "pull down" name, it exposes
first, last, etc.

In addition, it's been a couple of years, but there were a couple of
conversion utilities around as well.

Beverly Howard
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:11:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks for the news, Ms. Howard. Pardon the my ignorance on this one, but I
want to make sure that I understand what you wrote.

You say that the data can be exported from hotsync; does this mean that this
exporting is accomplished from the Hotsync program itself? Is there a web
site that might have the directions posted?

Also, does "comma delimted file" = "comma separeated value"?

What application has the wizard that you referred to below?

Thanks for the continuing help!

Fr. Gripshover



"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:%23r6a$KRPFHA.2568@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> It's easy to export all of your data from hotsync to a comma delimited
> file, then use the outlook import wizard to bring it into outlook which
> makes it ready to sync.
>
> The only "gotcha" that I enountered with this is that the wizard shows
> only "name" for a contact, but, if you "pull down" name, it exposes first,
> last, etc.
>
> In addition, it's been a couple of years, but there were a couple of
> conversion utilities around as well.
>
> Beverly Howard
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 4:44:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

in hotsync, check the help for "export" and in outlook, check the help
for import.

don't know hotsync, but in outlook, file/import...

>> ms <<

....you might want to take a peek at the pics on http://bevhoward.com <grin>

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 9:55:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks! I will give it a try!

Fr. Gripshover


"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:edf3eBZPFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> in hotsync, check the help for "export" and in outlook, check the help for
> import.
>
> don't know hotsync, but in outlook, file/import...
>
> >> ms <<
>
> ...you might want to take a peek at the pics on http://bevhoward.com
> <grin>
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 12:03:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I tryed the chapura pocket copy for this exact situation and it would not
copy the calendar. I am going to try to work with the customer support. I
don't know of another simple way to do it,
"Fr. Ronald Gripshover Jr" <fr.gripshover@trincomm.org> wrote in message
news:eFN26NbPFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thanks! I will give it a try!
>
> Fr. Gripshover
>
>
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:edf3eBZPFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> in hotsync, check the help for "export" and in outlook, check the help
>> for import.
>>
>> don't know hotsync, but in outlook, file/import...
>>
>> >> ms <<
>>
>> ...you might want to take a peek at the pics on http://bevhoward.com
>> <grin>
>>
>> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
>
>
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:18:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

This is becoming far more difficult than it needs to be!! Please let me
know, Ms. Stein, if you learn of a solution.

Fr. Gripshover


"Paula Stein" <begawk1@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:e12VfniPFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I tryed the chapura pocket copy for this exact situation and it would not
>copy the calendar. I am going to try to work with the customer support. I
>don't know of another simple way to do it,
> "Fr. Ronald Gripshover Jr" <fr.gripshover@trincomm.org> wrote in message
> news:eFN26NbPFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Thanks! I will give it a try!
>>
>> Fr. Gripshover
>>
>>
>> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
>> message news:edf3eBZPFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> in hotsync, check the help for "export" and in outlook, check the help
>>> for import.
>>>
>>> don't know hotsync, but in outlook, file/import...
>>>
>>> >> ms <<
>>>
>>> ...you might want to take a peek at the pics on http://bevhoward.com
>>> <grin>
>>>
>>> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 12:15:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

your Dell CD will come with outlook included. you do not need to buy it
separately. of course you still have the same problem, if your Zire was
stolen you can not sync it with outlook and thus you have to jump through
these hoops to get your info to outlook.
"ecm" <thedeepabyss@whoever.com> wrote in message
news:1112990488.255951.324970@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
| Dang.
|
| I'm watching this topic with interest - I recently had my Palm stolen,
| and I ordered a Dell X50v to replace it.... and now, when it's too
| late, I'm hearing that I won't be able to get my contacts and calendar
| into PocketPC? I thought it was going to be straightforward; after all,
| the Palms have a PPC-> PalmOS migration tool.
|
| I checked my Zire installation CD, and of course, Chapura's
| PocketMirror won't work without Outlook (a program I've never wanted or
| needed, and won't spend $110 for) installed. I've tried to sync the
| desktop to Yahoo's Intellisync, but it doesn't work without a Palm to
| put into the cradle. I've checked around on a few freeware sites, no
| joy. I'm f****d, unless I cough up for a peice of software that costs
| $20 per second of use.
|
| Anyone know how to get Yahoo's Intellisync to work without an actual
| Palm? It apparently worked in the past.....
|
| ECM
|
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:43:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> This is becoming far more difficult than it needs to be!! <<

As far as I can tell, you have not posted any specific problems that you
yourself have encounted, only statements responding to problems and
potential problems that other have posted and you anticipate.

Please let us know what you have experienced yourself and what issues
you need help on to get through.

You have a circumstance that is not the "norm" and several solutions
have been posted to address that unusual situationl... seize them!

As mentioned, there are a number of transfer options, all with their
benefits and limits, so, the problem you anticipate is surmountable with
a minimum of effort.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 6:52:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I thought that the difficulty was explained in earlier posts, but here it is
again:

The data that I need to transfer is stored on a PC in the Palm Desktop
format (the old PIM), which
is in a file named "datebook.dat". The reason the original Palm Vx no
longer functions. This means that I cannot move the calendar and address
information by syncing the Palm with Outlook; this option, sadly, is not
available since the device does not work. I do not expect there to be any
data on the device anyway.

More to the point: I need to import the calendar file referred to above into
Outlook (this will change the PIM from the Palm Desktop to Outlook). I
thought that I could employ the Import/Export function in Outlook, but it
does not seem to recognize that particular format. It is my hope that there
is a way to do this without purchasing a
program, which would only be used once.

Any possible ideas on this?

Fr. Gripshover


"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:%23ePmOTqPFHA.1884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >> This is becoming far more difficult than it needs to be!! <<
>
> As far as I can tell, you have not posted any specific problems that you
> yourself have encounted, only statements responding to problems and
> potential problems that other have posted and you anticipate.
>
> Please let us know what you have experienced yourself and what issues you
> need help on to get through.
>
> You have a circumstance that is not the "norm" and several solutions have
> been posted to address that unusual situationl... seize them!
>
> As mentioned, there are a number of transfer options, all with their
> benefits and limits, so, the problem you anticipate is surmountable with a
> minimum of effort.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:45:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Options were posted... the easiest being to borrow a backed up palm for
the process and restore to that device, then use the available migration
options from that point... following the migration, restore that device
back to the owner's state.

The lock on the calendar data is a Palm Desktop limit in that they use a
nonstandard format and do not offer export options... these limits are
not related to outlook or the pocketpc.

A quick search turned up the following on the first result page which
should provide some options.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/3216/datebook_...
http://www.mhessler.de/pilot-datebook/
http://www.lastarks.com/datebookCSV/

hth,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:29:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

OK, I'll revive this thread one more time - my Dell Axim X50v arrived
yesterday. After it had charged, I got to work. First, I installed
Outlook 2002, and then Activesync. There was absolutely no way to
import my PalmOne Contacts or Calendar to Outlook. It looks like MS is
purposely avoiding their main competitor in the handheld arena; could
it be a bit of blow-by because of all the monopoly lawsuits? Shrug.

So, this is what I had to do:
I. Calendar
1. Export my Palm Desktop calendar to a calendar archive.
2. Install Yahoo Intellisync (after signing up, etc.)
3. Import my Calendar archive to Yahoo.
4. export my calendar to comma separated value file (through Yahoo)
5. import this into Outlook.
Worked surprisingly well.

II. Contacts. Got tricky, Yahoo wouldn't recognise the address book
..ada file my Palm software produced, so:
1. Export EACH INDIVIDUAL CONTACT to a vCard file
2. Import EACH INDIVIDUAL CONTACT into Outlook
3. Correct mislabled fields, etc.
for 120+ fn' addresses! Still isn't very satisfactory, anything in a
custom field is gone. But, at least the names and main numbers are
there.

I don't use Notes, Expenses or Tasks, thank G*d, just the Calendar and
Contacts took 5 hours to figure out.

And oh, BTW: Memo to Microsoft: Migration software ISN'T
ANTI-COMPETITIVE, it's GOOD CUSTOMER CARE.

ECM
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 9:26:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The calendar yahoo tip is great thanks.

>> II. Contacts. Got tricky, Yahoo wouldn't recognise the address book
..ada file my Palm software produced, so: <<

fwiw, the googling seem to indicate that there was a contact export
option in PDT but not multiple calendar events.

>> support migration <<

While there is no argument with that, I've come to learn that
import/export options are very dependant on "LCD" (lowest common
denominator) options in both import and export, typically comma or tab
delimited files, dBase, Excel, etc, and that if a propritary program
does not offer such options, that company has positioned itself to
preclude "migration"

I've done a lot of data conversions over the decades and have definite
opinions when I encounter programs which hold any user's data "hostage"
and I have to say that PDT seems to fall into that category... my own
opinion, not MS'

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:00:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

|
| And oh, BTW: Memo to Microsoft: Migration software ISN'T
| ANTI-COMPETITIVE, it's GOOD CUSTOMER CARE.
|


May just be me, but it seems like the problem is more Palm Desktop's limited
export options than Outlooks import options.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:57:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Scott: Works when there's a Palm to sync to Outlook WITH.
Unfortunately.... not available in my case.

KDE: It's a corporation's choice to not provide software to facilitate
migration AWAY from their product, of course.... I thought to was
common sense that a competitor would provide software to facilitate
migration TO their product. PalmOne does. And, BTW, have you checked
out the choices for export FROM Outlook? They're the same as Palm
Desktop's.

Beverly: The problem with the PalmOne software is that the fields in
the comma-delimited file it produces are not at all the same as the
fields that Outlook or for that matter Yahoo expected.

I know I might be slammed for saying this on a Microsoft usenet group,
but I don't think it's an issue with the quality of the Palm Desktop.
It's limited in several ways compared to Outlook (especially when it
comes to email), but it did a great job with the basics; I'm going to
miss the elegant simplicity of it.

ECM
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 8:09:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

ecmcdougall@gmail.com wrote in news:1113334145.692089.256410
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> OK, I'll revive this thread one more time - my Dell Axim X50v arrived
> yesterday. After it had charged, I got to work. First, I installed
> Outlook 2002, and then Activesync. There was absolutely no way to
> import my PalmOne Contacts or Calendar to Outlook. It looks like MS is
> purposely avoiding their main competitor in the handheld arena; could
> it be a bit of blow-by because of all the monopoly lawsuits? Shrug.
>
> So, this is what I had to do:
> I. Calendar
> 1. Export my Palm Desktop calendar to a calendar archive.
> 2. Install Yahoo Intellisync (after signing up, etc.)
> 3. Import my Calendar archive to Yahoo.
> 4. export my calendar to comma separated value file (through Yahoo)
> 5. import this into Outlook.
> Worked surprisingly well.
>
> II. Contacts. Got tricky, Yahoo wouldn't recognise the address book
> .ada file my Palm software produced, so:
> 1. Export EACH INDIVIDUAL CONTACT to a vCard file
> 2. Import EACH INDIVIDUAL CONTACT into Outlook
> 3. Correct mislabled fields, etc.
> for 120+ fn' addresses! Still isn't very satisfactory, anything in a
> custom field is gone. But, at least the names and main numbers are
> there.
>
> I don't use Notes, Expenses or Tasks, thank G*d, just the Calendar and
> Contacts took 5 hours to figure out.
>
> And oh, BTW: Memo to Microsoft: Migration software ISN'T
> ANTI-COMPETITIVE, it's GOOD CUSTOMER CARE.
>
> ECM
>

It's been a while since my migration, but I recall it being perfectly
seamless. Just use intellisync (which my clie came with) to sync up all
the info on the palm to outlook, and that was it.

Scott
!