Closed

Solved: Folder Redirection EventID 111

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 7, 2004 5:50:48 PM

[GoogleBlog, It took me quite a while to solve this problem, here are the
results of my investigations.]

Scenario:
I created a new user, installed my applications and made sure everything was
working using UserA. I then copied this profile in another directory,
renamed NTUSER.DAT into NTUSER.MAN to make this the mandatory profile of
UserB.

Problem:
The profile was not applied to the user, event log recorded EventID 111 &
1085, and userenv.log contained the following:

USERENV(1e0.cc0) 13:09:09:606 ProcessGPOList: Entering for extension Folder
Redirection
USERENV(1e0.cc0) 13:09:09:606 LogExtSessionStatus: Successfully logged
Extension Session data
USERENV(1e0.cc0) 13:09:09:622 GetHkeyCU: RegOpenKey failed with error 5
USERENV(1e0.cc0) 13:09:09:622 CreateEnvironmentBlock: Failed to open
HKEY_CURRENT_USER, error = 5
USERENV(1e0.cc0) 13:09:09:622 ProcessGPOList: Extension Folder Redirection
returned 0xcb.
USERENV(1e0.cc0) 13:09:09:622 ProcessGPOList: Extension Folder Redirection
was able to log data. RsopStatus = 0x0, dwRet = 203, Clearing the dirty bit
USERENV(1e0.cc0) 13:09:09:622 ProcessGPOs: Extension Folder Redirection
ProcessGroupPolicy failed, status 0xcb.

Solution:
Error 5 is "Access Denied". Therefore, before copying UserA profile to
UserB, make sure you grant sufficient rights to HKEY_CURRENT_USER to UserB.
In my case, I granted Read/Write to "Domain Users".

Use the program "regedt32" to access registry permissions (it's not
available in regedit).

Note: Granting read-only access is not enough since folder redirection needs
write access to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
No write access to those keys results in EventID 106. Maybe granting Write
only to those two keys would be enough, but i had issues with other
installed software, so I decided to grant Read/Write to the whole thing from
HKCU. It is re-copied from the server every login anyway.

And that's it. I hope that this information will someday be useful to
someone.

Jérôme Tremblay
June 25, 2010 12:17:57 PM

Thanks Jérôme.. this article is superb and solved my problem whilst saving me a lot of trouble.

I had rebuilt some machines in my lab and a single user account (used by many students) was no longer getting the folder redirection on those machines. I carried out your instructions.. then deleted any existing profile (for that account) from those machines.. rebooted and logged-in with no problems.. all machines back as before.

Many, many thanks

Mat
August 25, 2010 10:20:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!