Armor Check penalty?

Moo

Hiya!

I have just noticed that there is something called 'Armor check penalty' -
What is it?
I am a Cleric (just started), will this effect anything, eg if i had -7
Armor check penalty?
Also; any tips for new Cleric's? I would really like some advice on using
magic- strong magic, because i have always stuck to fighting...

Moo wrote:
> Hiya!
>
> I have just noticed that there is something called 'Armor check penalty' -
> What is it?

A penalty to skills that rely on freedom of movement, like Tumble and Hide.

the armour check penalty is applied to skills that are hindered by armour

Exmples: Open locks, tumbling ,hide ,and move silently

Rennie Barnes wrote:
> the armour check penalty is applied to skills that are hindered by armour
>
> Exmples: Open locks, tumbling ,hide ,and move silently

Actually, in NWN, Open Locks is *not* affected. All other DEX-based
skills are affected.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

"Rennie Barnes" <rennie.barnes@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<Canrc.67$Xr.13@newsfe2-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> the armour check penalty is applied to skills that are hindered by armour
>
> Exmples: Open locks, tumbling ,hide ,and move silently

And, oddly enough, set traps.

So, my female rogue (Jayel Bayt) was in her Victoria's Secrets when
she was setting traps by the door, before resting (in a module with
wandering monsters).

It makes sense, but I don't think that it was specified in the 3.0 d20
rules. But I think it's just one of those things that is assumed (that
if you insist on putting your shield in front of you while you are
setting a trap, you'll take a penalty). Likewise, 3.0 rules assume
common sense and don't spell out a penalty for attempting to craft
things while wearing armor and shields :)

"Anonymous Jack" <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Rennie Barnes" <rennie.barnes@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > the armour check penalty is applied to skills that are hindered by
armour

> > Exmples: Open locks, tumbling ,hide ,and move silently
>
> And, oddly enough, set traps.
>
> So, my female rogue (Jayel Bayt) was in her Victoria's Secrets when
> she was setting traps by the door, before resting (in a module with
> wandering monsters).
>
> It makes sense, but I don't think that it was specified in the 3.0 d20
> rules. But I think it's just one of those things that is assumed (that
> if you insist on putting your shield in front of you while you are
> setting a trap, you'll take a penalty). Likewise, 3.0 rules assume
> common sense and don't spell out a penalty for attempting to craft
> things while wearing armor and shields :)

In 3.0 things take time to make...no poof and there it is

"Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message news:<F3wrc.23396$l%4.22145@bignews4.bellsouth.net>...
> "Anonymous Jack" <alordofchaos> wrote:cf889346.0405211220.7016c7dd@posting.google.com...
> > Likewise, 3.0 rules assume
> > common sense and don't spell out a penalty for attempting to craft
> > things while wearing armor and shields :)
>
> In 3.0 things take time to make...no poof and there it is

Er, yeah, but that wasn't my point. In PnP 3.0, there is no
armor/shield check penalties for attempting to craft things,
regardless of how long it takes. So, if I wanted to spend some time
crafting a masterwork sword, I could do so while wearing full plate
with a large shield strapped to my arm the entire time, with no
penalties for the craft check!

I was just saying that the game designers imagined DMs would use
common sense and impose penalties on Craft if some rules-lawyer
(pointing out that the skill description does not impose a
armor/shield check penalty) wanted to wear armor and a shield the
whole month, or whatever.