XP Pro install -How long does it take?

I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours so
far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
normal?
15 answers Last reply
More about install long take

    That's a very long time but not knowing anything about your system or what
    is connected to it or any other components or even the kind of install,
    upgrade or clean install, we don't have much to go on.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    TheBigCat wrote:
    > I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours so
    > far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
    > normal?
    I don't remember specifics but I remember it took a long time
    on my machine. I would think the time would depend somewhat on
    your processor speed.

    gls858

    TheBigCat wrote:
    > I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours so
    > far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
    > normal?

    That is an abnormally long time, but without know the specifications of
    the computer in question, it's impossible to say whether or not it's a
    lost cause.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Ensure that the only devices connected are monitor, keyboard and mouse..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "TheBigCat" <TheBigCat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours so
    > far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
    > normal?

    If this is a 250GB hdd and you include the time to format then the time may
    not be so out of line.

    "TheBigCat" <TheBigCat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours so
    > far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
    > normal?

    I just installed XP Pro SP2 on a new Maxtor 120 GB SATA 150 drive in a 3.6
    GHz machine with 1.5 GB of memory. With a Quick Format of the drive (NTFS),
    it took 15 minutes to do a clean install. Either you need a new machine or
    something is seriously wrong with your current one. Is it a Microsoft CD or a
    burned copy?

    "TheBigCat" wrote:

    > I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours so
    > far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
    > normal?

    As you said, quick format. A full format of a 120GB SATA takes a half to
    three quarters of an hour longer.

    "hjomby@hotmail.com" <hjombyhotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:AED78FA1-4DFC-4C61-BDBF-DB4259292749@microsoft.com...
    >I just installed XP Pro SP2 on a new Maxtor 120 GB SATA 150 drive in a 3.6
    > GHz machine with 1.5 GB of memory. With a Quick Format of the drive
    > (NTFS),
    > it took 15 minutes to do a clean install. Either you need a new machine or
    > something is seriously wrong with your current one. Is it a Microsoft CD
    > or a
    > burned copy?
    >
    > "TheBigCat" wrote:
    >
    >> I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours
    >> so
    >> far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
    >> normal?

    So it should only take 45 minutes to an hour total then at most.

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > As you said, quick format. A full format of a 120GB SATA takes a half to
    > three quarters of an hour longer.

    > "hjomby@hotmail.com" <hjombyhotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:AED78FA1-4DFC-4C61-BDBF-DB4259292749@microsoft.com...
    > >I just installed XP Pro SP2 on a new Maxtor 120 GB SATA 150 drive in a 3.6
    > > GHz machine with 1.5 GB of memory. With a Quick Format of the drive
    > > (NTFS),
    > > it took 15 minutes to do a clean install. Either you need a new machine or
    > > something is seriously wrong with your current one. Is it a Microsoft CD
    > > or a
    > > burned copy?
    > >
    > > "TheBigCat" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours
    > >> so
    > >> far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
    > >> normal?

    With a 120 it took about an hour. But with a 250 it takes a lot longer.
    And machines vary widely. With just a monitor, keyboard, and mouse attached
    and an 80g drive it can take as little as an hour but I have seen installs
    that take a LOT longer without anything apparent causing it.

    "hjomby@hotmail.com" <hjombyhotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:6A21849E-6A62-4185-A5F3-03B1462067AE@microsoft.com...

    TheBigCat wrote:
    > I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4
    > hours so far and is still going (it is currently registering
    > components). Is this normal?

    This is certainly not normal. Unless your computer is from the stone age
    (i.e. _way_ below minimum specs) my guess is that you are having flaky
    hardware, or maybe hardware that's not very compatible with XP. I second
    Mikes suggestion about disconnecting everything not needed for installation,
    including PCI cards. Check if it helps. If it does, start adding hardware
    one piece at a time until you notice something funny going on.

    You might want to download http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ which includes a
    whole bunch of tools for diagnosing your hardware, including memory and hard
    drives. Yes, I know it's a brand new drive, but even new hardware can be
    defective. Also, faulty hardware can cause sluggish behaviour even if you do
    not get any obvious errors. I once had a problem with a computer that took
    forever to install an OS, and when it was finished it was very sluggish. The
    problem turned out to be a faulty HDD. I replaced it, and everything was
    fine.

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:47:05 -0800, TheBigCat wrote:

    > I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours so
    > far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
    > normal?

    If you booted with a dos floppy disk and started winnt.exe without loading
    smartdrv, it could take longer than 4 hours.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Good catch, Sharon. Indeed, it could run for many hours under that
    scenario.

    --

    > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:47:05 -0800, TheBigCat wrote:
    >
    >> I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours
    >> so
    >> far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
    >> normal?
    >
    > If you booted with a dos floppy disk and started winnt.exe without loading
    > smartdrv, it could take longer than 4 hours.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "TheBigCat" <TheBigCat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours so
    > far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
    > normal?

    No that is not normal.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    The OP indicated installation was "on a brand new hard disk" - that would
    answer your question about the "type of installation", i.e. clean install.

    > That's a very long time but not knowing anything about your system or what
    > is connected to it or any other components or even the kind of install,
    > upgrade or clean install, we don't have much to go on.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "TheBigCat" <TheBigCat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours so
    >> far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is this
    >> normal?

    Not completely.

    If the CD being used was an OEM CD provided by the manufacturer of the
    system, it might be tied to the previous hardware in which case, it could
    cause problems with installation and ultimately cause it to halt altogether.
    Clean install was simply one of the variables I mentioned.

    --

    "Andrew Murray" <admurray@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > The OP indicated installation was "on a brand new hard disk" - that would
    > answer your question about the "type of installation", i.e. clean install.
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> That's a very long time but not knowing anything about your system or
    >> what is connected to it or any other components or even the kind of
    >> install, upgrade or clean install, we don't have much to go on.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "TheBigCat" <TheBigCat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I am installing XP Pro on a brand new HDD and it has taken over 4 hours
    >>>so
    >>> far and is still going (it is currently registering components). Is
    >>> this
    >>> normal?

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives