Formatted Windows 8 OS (idiot)

Tags:
  • Partition Magic
  • Windows 8
  • Format
Last response: in Windows 8
December 12, 2012 2:09:00 PM

Hello all,

I've just used Partition Magic Software to format a partition...however it appears to have formatted the whole disc as Windows 8 will not start up or be recovered.
It's a new PC and I wanted to format the data I'd jsut transferred from my old laptop (I moved too many things that I didn't want).
I bought it online and do not have the Windows 8 installation discs....or any reference number whatsoever (waiting for a reply on that subject from the vendor).
Anyone out there know how to help this idiot...can I recover / reinstall Windows 8 from the Automatic Repair window...??
Is it possible to get Microsoft to let me download and re-install it???

TIA
The idiot

More about : formatted windows idiot

December 12, 2012 2:19:10 PM

Whatever happens i think Microsoft needs a key to activate your windows installation if you manage to redownload a copy of windows 8.
Your best bet is to wait for a reply from the vendor...
m
l
a c 410 * Windows 8
December 12, 2012 3:19:44 PM

Your key is in the confirmation email sent to the account you provided when you purchased the key.
You can also re download the OS from a link within that email. If you deleted the email, the key it is still associated with your email account and can be recovered. It might be listed in account settings when you log into your account.
After you locate the key you can download from:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-pr...

if you have a newer laptop I think your key is stored in your BIOS. I am not sure if the installer will read the key from the BIOS but you can give it a try.
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2012 3:40:06 PM

The laptop doesn't contain a recovery partition? As most laptop vendors to cut costs (No recovery disks) they usually have a small partition that wouldn't have been formatted and is hidden by windows but not the bios, that contains an image of the C partition.
m
l
December 12, 2012 3:41:07 PM

The laptop doesn't contain a recovery partition? As most laptop vendors to cut costs (No recovery disks) they usually have a small partition that wouldn't have been formatted and is hidden by windows but not the bios, that contains an image of the C partition.
m
l