Homepage settings through group policy

Currently we have within our Group Policy for Windows
Server2003, a policy that sets the default homepage for
all users. This is currently applied in our default
domain policy. The issue is that users can still change
their homepage settings, however, when they log off and
log back on, It's supposed to reset their homepage to the
one we've specified. The Problem is that the homepage
isn't resetting itself like we have defined in our
policy. It's like they're not getting the policy. You
can, however, run the command (gpupdate /force) on the
users workstation and then the homepage will reset itself
to the one we specified. Any help is appreciated.

-Thanks-
5 answers Last reply
More about homepage settings group policy

    We have somewhat a similar situation here--the policy
    applies, and then sometimes it'll revert back to the
    initial IE homepage (the one where it forwards you to
    MSN) or it'll just forward to MSN. Gets annoying not
    knowing what I should expect to happen at a user's
    workstation. I don't want to have to run around to
    everyone's computer and type "secedit /refreshpolicy" and
    gpupdate.... that's what we have GPO's for, no?

    Yeah, you're right that's what GPO's are for!!

    Nathan,

    IE Maintenance policy is registered as NoGPOListChanges=1, which means that
    it does not apply again unless there is a change to the IE Maintenance
    policy (i.e. by the admin). Because the homepage setting can be changed by
    the end-user, this policy will not have an affect after its first
    application unless the admin changes a setting in this extension. Gpupdate
    honors this behavior, but /force overrides it.

    In theory you can change the registration to NoGPOListChanges=0, in this
    location:

    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GPExtensions\{A2E30F80-D7DE-11d2-BBDE-00C04F86AE3
    B}

    and it will process the policy settings for IEM on each policy refresh, but
    there is a computer policy setting to control this behavior:

    ADM Templates/System/Group Policy/"Internet Explorer Maintenance policy
    processing" : [x] "Process even if the Group Policy objects have not
    changed"

    Note also that this policy does not process over low links by default -
    which can cause it to not get set. You can also change this via the same
    policy.

    Regards,

    Eric Voskuil
    Policy Maker
    http://www.autoprof.com/policy

    "Nathan T" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Currently we have within our Group Policy for Windows
    > Server2003, a policy that sets the default homepage for
    > all users. This is currently applied in our default
    > domain policy. The issue is that users can still change
    > their homepage settings, however, when they log off and
    > log back on, It's supposed to reset their homepage to the
    > one we've specified. The Problem is that the homepage
    > isn't resetting itself like we have defined in our
    > policy. It's like they're not getting the policy. You
    > can, however, run the command (gpupdate /force) on the
    > users workstation and then the homepage will reset itself
    > to the one we specified. Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > -Thanks-
  4. You realize of course that you just replied into a thread that's been dead for over 8 years?

Policy Default Microsoft Windows