Missing Display Properties options

I am using WINDOWS 2000 SERVER and WINDOWS XP PRO clients. WHen right-clicking on the desktop and choosing properties for the display I get tabs for Themes, ScreenSaver, and Appearance. The DESKTOP and SETTINGS tabs are missing. I looked in Local Computer Policy --> User Config --> Admin Templates --> Control Panel --> Display and everything is set as "not cnofigured". Where is the setting I am not finding? Thanks much!

pj

There must be a group policy in place defining user
configuration (which would not show up under the local
computer policy).

Check your effective group policies in Active Directory.

Look for the following in the group policy:
User Configuration --> Administrative Templates -->
Control Panel --> Display

The "Hide Settings tab" and "Hide Background tab" are
probably enabled in the GPO. Change the setting to Not
Configured or Disabled.

Try running "gpresult" from the command line from the WinXP machine to see a
list of applied gpo's. type in "gpresult /?" for more options. this will
tell you which gpo is apply the settings. you could also your RSOP in ADUC.

Philip Nunn

"Phlybert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using WINDOWS 2000 SERVER and WINDOWS XP PRO clients. WHen
right-clicking on the desktop and choosing properties for the display I get
tabs for Themes, ScreenSaver, and Appearance. The DESKTOP and SETTINGS tabs
are missing. I looked in Local Computer Policy --> User Config --> Admin
Templates --> Control Panel --> Display and everything is set as "not
cnofigured". Where is the setting I am not finding? Thanks much!

Sounds like you are looking at Local Group Policy. It probably is being configured at
the domain/OU level instead. You can use gpresult while logged onto one of those
computer to see where user policy is being applied from. First go to AD Users and
Computers. Highlight the domain, right click add select properties/Group Policy and
edit the GPO's found there to look for the settings and also at the OU level if the
users are in an OU. --- Steve