Question about computer configuration

I'm sorry if my question sounds ridiculous, but I was wondering:
if Computer configuration settings are applied when the machine starts
up, how can computer configuration settings of a domain policy be
applied before I even logon to my domain controller?

Good question and you are correct in that computer configuration is applied upon
startup and before the user logs on. You can usually see the message that
settings/security policy are being applied if you watch the monitor during the time
that the operating system is loading before logon prompt. It is applied before logon
because there may be security policy preventing a user to logon etc as shown in user
rights. You can use gpresult to see when policy was last applied. --- Steve

"Caterina" <kate0104@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm sorry if my question sounds ridiculous, but I was wondering:
> if Computer configuration settings are applied when the machine starts
> up, how can computer configuration settings of a domain policy be
> applied before I even logon to my domain controller?

Hi there

When a computer starts up, it actually logs into the domain. Machines have
accounts just like users do and also have passwords, although you never get
to see them. So, by the time a user gets to log in, the machine policies
have already been applied.

Hope this helps

Oli

"Caterina" <kate0104@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm sorry if my question sounds ridiculous, but I was wondering:
> if Computer configuration settings are applied when the machine starts
> up, how can computer configuration settings of a domain policy be
> applied before I even logon to my domain controller?

Thank you everybody for your quick answers, I have just one little
doubt now: what happens if I have more than one domain defined in my
company and my computer has an account in each of them (can it be?)?
Where does my computer logon when it starts?

"Oli Restorick [MVP]" <oli@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<e5gG7GNIEHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Hi there
>
> When a computer starts up, it actually logs into the domain. Machines have
> accounts just like users do and also have passwords, although you never get
> to see them. So, by the time a user gets to log in, the machine policies
> have already been applied.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Oli
>

> "Caterina" <kate0104@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm sorry if my question sounds ridiculous, but I was wondering:
> > if Computer configuration settings are applied when the machine starts
> > up, how can computer configuration settings of a domain policy be
> > applied before I even logon to my domain controller?

Your computer will logon to the domain that it has membership at the time of
logon. A computer can only be a member of one domain at a time, regardless
of how many other domains have a computer account listed for it.

To see the domain affiliation, right-click on My Computer and select
Properties. Then, select the Network ID tab (might differ depending on OS
version), which will list the domain you are a member of.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net