LAN Card...How many ?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Hello guys...

My mainboard Asus P4P800deluxe has 1 port LAN integrated. This port already connected to the internet through router.

I want to make a security system by putting 4 network camera.
Is it possible to put more LAN cards in this mainboard ? or it's better to put those 4 cameras through router ?

If you have ideas please tell me. Thank you.

sturm

Splendid
You can put as many lan cards in a computer as you have slots for. So yes you could put 4 lan cards in if you have 4 slots to do it with. If not then get a switch and run that to a second lan card in your computer.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
It'd be simpler to just plug all the cameras into your router, or into a hub/switch connected to your router. If you get four networks cards, then you have to manage IP addresses on all of them, and your computer will be the only one that can access the cameras. If you connect them to the switch, then any computer on the LAN should be able to access them.

If that's not what you want, then you could always add a second network card to your computer, connect that card to a standalone switch, and then connect the cameras to the switch. This way you could access all the cameras through one network card, but nobody else would have access to them.