Is games the main purpose for graphics development?

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
What I mean is, in your opinion, hypothetically speaking, with the absence of computer gaming, do you think that as much research would be put into developing graphics hardware? Or do you reckon that profits would be less and therefore there would be less interest in developing this area of computer hardware?

G

Computer gaming is very common nowadays not only for children but also for adults. So, it is normal if we see playing on their handy gadget with so much loaded of games. Computer games normally created of course from those people wanted to prove their skills in programming.

Computer support service

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
I do think the research would still be put into graphics hardware but it would cost much more, obviously graphics hardware isn't entirely about games but also benefits other fields like the movie industry, medical science, and parallel processing.

Another good question would be -- "without gaming, do you think as much research would be put in to developing computer hardware."

Answer: NO. I don't ever want to live in that highly productive Utopian society. Though you could argue that with less people playing games, more people would be devoted to computer hardware.

Without that special something that makes computer technology accessible and actually useful to new users; whether it be games, social networking, information, communications, content, and so on; there wouldn't be a reason to use them.