My A: Drive is drivin me crazy!

check this out, for some reason everytime i put a disk into my A: drive the
computer says that the disk is not formatted. It didn't used to do this
before and now it happens to every floppy i put in my computer. In other
words, i can't open anything thats on any floppy disk. any advice?

Check the connector. Also, the drive may be dirty or gone bad.

"g money" <g money@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> check this out, for some reason everytime i put a disk into my A: drive
> the
> computer says that the disk is not formatted. It didn't used to do this
> before and now it happens to every floppy i put in my computer. In other
> words, i can't open anything thats on any floppy disk. any advice?

I had the same problem. Replaced the drive and now it's fine.

"g money" wrote:

> check this out, for some reason everytime i put a disk into my A: drive the
> computer says that the disk is not formatted. It didn't used to do this
> before and now it happens to every floppy i put in my computer. In other
> words, i can't open anything thats on any floppy disk. any advice?

It should say 'cannot read disk' or 'bad read error' if it was a case of
damaged disk or disk drive.

Run a chkdsk on the floppy disk(s). ??

> Check the connector. Also, the drive may be dirty or gone bad.

> "g money" <g money@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> check this out, for some reason everytime i put a disk into my A: drive
>> the
>> computer says that the disk is not formatted. It didn't used to do this
>> before and now it happens to every floppy i put in my computer. In other
>> words, i can't open anything thats on any floppy disk. any advice?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"g money" <g money@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> check this out, for some reason everytime i put a disk into my A: drive
> the
> computer says that the disk is not formatted. It didn't used to do this
> before and now it happens to every floppy i put in my computer. In other
> words, i can't open anything thats on any floppy disk. any advice?

First check the eject button to see if it is properly extended. Is the
floppy disk all the way
inserted? Or, sfloppy.sys could be corrupted or compressed. A deletion,
then a
sfc /purgecache ----sfc /scannow will sometimes fix this issue.