Using GP to Change Registry Settings

I am trying to trust a code signed certificate so that
uses are not prompted when opening Word documents with
VBA Code (macros) embedded. I have succesfully created
a .reg file that enters the certificate information as a
binary entry in the registry at
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Trusted]. Is it
possible to write an adm file and use Group Policy to
push this out to all users? Anyone have a good source for
writing adm files? Is there another easier way to do
this? Thanks

Robert
7 answers Last reply
More about using change registry settings

    Try these:

    Advanced topic: Creating custom .adm files:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/professional/help/default.asp?url=/WINDOWS2000/en/professional/help/sag_SPconcepts_34.htm

    To add or remove an Administrative Template (.adm file):
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/professional/help/default.asp?url=/WINDOWS2000/en/professional/help/gptext_addtemplate.htm

    --
    Derek Melber
    BrainCore.Net
    "Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to trust a code signed certificate so that
    > uses are not prompted when opening Word documents with
    > VBA Code (macros) embedded. I have succesfully created
    > a .reg file that enters the certificate information as a
    > binary entry in the registry at
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Trusted]. Is it
    > possible to write an adm file and use Group Policy to
    > push this out to all users? Anyone have a good source for
    > writing adm files? Is there another easier way to do
    > this? Thanks
    >
    > Robert

    Derek,
    I appreciate the answer. Looking at the first topic
    it seems to be geared towards string entries. I do not
    see any references to the binary type. I wish there was
    some examples and MS made this easier. Based on this
    documentation, I do not think I can write the adm file.
    Do you know of any source with more examples?

    thanks

    Robert

    Your best bet for samples is to use the default ADM templates. Just search
    in the INF folder of your DC or client computer. the system.adm is about the
    longest one.

    What is the value data you need to input for the Registry value?

    --
    Derek Melber
    BrainCore.Net
    > Derek,
    > I appreciate the answer. Looking at the first topic
    > it seems to be geared towards string entries. I do not
    > see any references to the binary type. I wish there was
    > some examples and MS made this easier. Based on this
    > documentation, I do not think I can write the adm file.
    > Do you know of any source with more examples?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Robert

    Derek,
    Thanks for the advice. I have tried the office 2000
    Resource Kit and looked at the Word9.adm file which you
    think would be close. I failed miserably. There is no
    binary data in it. I guess it is beyond my abilitiies. I
    will take a look at the system.adm file tonight.

    The data is hex/binary data. The document at
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/office/office
    2000/maintain/security/o2ksec.mspx#XSLTsection124121120120
    explains it. Here is the contents of the .reg file that
    does the same thing except i changed the data being
    extremely paranoid:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Trusted]
    "User, Robert
    M."=hex:34,3d,b7,e2,5a,24,64,f3,95,41,2c,4d,7e,32,44,55,66
    ,\
    77,88,99

    Thanks

    Robert

    have you considered customizing the sceregvl.inf file? This updates the
    security portion of he GPO.

    --
    > Derek,
    > Thanks for the advice. I have tried the office 2000
    > Resource Kit and looked at the Word9.adm file which you
    > think would be close. I failed miserably. There is no
    > binary data in it. I guess it is beyond my abilitiies. I
    > will take a look at the system.adm file tonight.
    >
    > The data is hex/binary data. The document at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/office/office
    > 2000/maintain/security/o2ksec.mspx#XSLTsection124121120120
    > explains it. Here is the contents of the .reg file that
    > does the same thing except i changed the data being
    > extremely paranoid:
    >
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Trusted]
    > "User, Robert
    > M."=hex:34,3d,b7,e2,5a,24,64,f3,95,41,2c,4d,7e,32,44,55,66
    > ,\
    > 77,88,99
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Robert

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Derek,
    Thansk for the suggestion. I will try it on my PC.
    After I change it then what do i have to do?

    Robert

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    I think this will be all you need:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=214752

    --
    > Derek,
    > Thansk for the suggestion. I will try it on my PC.
    > After I change it then what do i have to do?
    >
    > Robert

Microsoft Registry Windows