I am finally sick of it

RCHflight

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I have had enough of this Vaio :evil: . it has crashed on me recently while playing my music and trying to multitask and not to that great of an extent maybe one or two files open. what made it worse was the 5 min :!: it took to reboot. It is not worth upgrading because it dose not even a agp slot. Truefully i should not complain i got it for free because it was messed up. the people who owned it did not belive in defag or reformating and i told them about doing it.

Ok now i am sorry that i went off topic but thats my situation. i would like to spend 800 on a desktop computer. this computer will be used for everything from collage papers, to storage, to gaming. I would just love to have a core 2 duo processor but i dont know if they are too expensive but in my dreams that is what i have even if its just a 6300 :tongue: . my other dream is to have a nice case with actually airflow! This will be the computer i have during collage so am i correct in thinking a 320 gb 7200.10 baracuda drive would good so far my experience with the one in the back is that it is practically for all reasons silent. with the 17 inch screen a Nvidia 7600 gt is good enough corect? the games i play are Battlefront 2 and o yes flight simulator 2004, 80 was too much for the new one i will wait till it goes down to 20 lol.

The stuff i plan on reuseing is just the monitor the rest will go with the comp to the living room. it will be used for surfing the internet
have a 17 inch dell cant complain either got it for free from same person as a gift.

so what i need
processor
MB
Power Supply a good one dont want any stability problems
Case
Hard drive 7200.10 barracuda 320 gb
floppy drive????
CD DVD drive is it cheaper in the long run if i buy one burner and one reader cause in another comp i have had too replace the reader or is it not worth it.
Ram 2 gb? dont know much if i can get total under 800
keyboard and mouse
OS Vista? XP?
some network capability

i will figure out some way to get a good quality set of speackers.

my questions am i aming way to high for 800?
my goal is a well balanced system so give me your thoughts.
whats the Core 2 4xxx series that was mentiond in the 6300 overclocking article
i will probably overclock but with standerd cooler, noob at this.
if i missed anything tell me i am tired.

if you tell me that i should wait than ok i am good at that but i am not waiting for ever for a direct x 10 card to come out and truthfully i dont really care about having the very best i just want a decent system.

i thank you all who read this and put up with me
Richard H.

o one last thing i am 17 and this will be my first build and i am paying for it myself.

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I bet none of you knew how to do all this at 16
Son, when I was 16 there was no "all this" to know anything about. Computers cost a lot more than houses, were only owned by institutions, and pretty much couldn't do squat anyway compared to your average entry level system today. But we did have real snow and it actually got cold during the winter. Funny the things you find yourself getting nostalgic for ...

A few comments. First, you'd probably get more help if you actually made it clearer in your subject line that system build advice is what you are looking for.

Second, people can give better advice if you provide them with a budget number. It's hard to suggest parts when you have no idea how much money the person can spend.

Finally, wait until Intel makes their announcements and possible price cuts on/around Jan 21 before making a final purchase decision. The Core 2 E4000 series of processors are C2Ds with an 800MHz FSB. They are expect to overclock well. Here's a link to an AnandTech preview of the E4300.

-john, the redundant legacy dinosaur

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
First of all offer help don't condem the guy. Secondly read the post before you spout off about him missing somthing.
I was trying to help. I apologize to him if he took my comments as a "condemnation". It was not my intent. As for "read the post", I thought I had as I'm sure so did you.

The stuff i plan on reuseing is just the monitor the rest will go with the comp to the living room.
Save yourself a few bucks and stick with the KB and Mouse from the old system. If you can reuse the CD ROM from the old system that would be a good option as well.
i will probably overclock but with standerd cooler, noob at this.
Go with DDR2 667 unless you plan to OC then you'll want DDR2 800.

Stuff happens.

-john

RCHflight

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Hey all

When i said i bet none of you know how to do this or what ever i meant construction not computers. i mean i know how to work on alot. dont make me do a paper on it all. I work with my dad on my house and i just meant that i am not your average kid. does your average kid know how to do plumbing, electrical, painting and alot of other stuff i wont go into detail.

ok i got that settled and i apologize for my last post being so incoherant. i dont usually stay up till 11:30 or at least write something at that time.

the only thing i will be able to reuse is the screen. the vaio is going to the living room television for internet. The keyboard and mouse are Gyration wireless infared keyboard and mouse combo with the range nesecary for the location so they are the ones that need to be used there. i will need to get my own keyboard and mouse.

now i am willing to spend 800 dollars or more if i need to in order to get the most possible system life. i dont like to skimp on things because it just will cost more in the long run. if you know me you know that i do this.

800*
Core 2 duo 6300
a good motherboard with good expandability i will add more to the comp over its lifetime.
7200.10 320 gb for 95.00 at newegg i think. i like this hard drive.
Good case. Antec P180? your thoughts?
Nvidia? ATI? i know about nvidia cards but am in dark about ati. i am leaning towards nvidia because my friend has trouble with the ATI drivers.
CD DVD drive
mouse keyboard
a good stong power supply

thanks for all your imput and advice

edit: forgot about power supply

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Core 2 duo 6300
To begin with, based on the preview looks at the E4300 I think you really want to rethink which CPU you plan to go with. You'll probably save ~$20 by going with an E4300 instead of an E6300 while not loosing that much in terms of performance at stock speeds.

Since you said you intend to overclock, that is where the E4300 looks like it would really shine. The quote below is from the conclusion to the AnandTech article I mentioned above.

At default speeds, the E4300 isn't all that impressive in the grand scheme of things; it's effectively a slightly cheaper, slightly slower E6300. But much like the E6300, much of the appeal of the E4300 comes from overclocking - and overclock it does. Compared to other Core 2 CPUs, the E4300 doesn't set any new overclocking records but at the price it's a true bargain.
A good bargain strikes me as what you may want to build a good $800 system around.

Just my 2 cents, but don't pay too much attention to me. You can expect to see a lot more posts here about the E4300, especially a week from now when Intel is due to release it. So if you keep an eye open you should have lots of food for thought.

-john

Bobsama

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300 - Retail
MB - ASUS P5B LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Power Supply a good one dont want any stability problems - Rosewill RD450-2-DB ATX V2.2 450W Power Supply - Retail
Case - Rosewill R5717-P SL 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case withTool-Free kits - Retail
Hard drive - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
floppy drive???? - None!
CD DVD drive - MadDog 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model MD-16X3DVD9-8X - OEM
Ram -G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-5300PHU2-1GBNT - Retail
keyboard and mouse - Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard - Retail and IOGEAR GME521 Black/Gray 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Mouse - Retail
OS - Microsoft Windows Vista RC1 Evaluation and Resource Kit - OEM
some network capability - Attansic L1 PCI-E Gigabit LAN on the Motherboard. Nothing extra needed.

i will figure out some way to get a good quality set of speackers. - Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail

What will all that run you? Quite a bit. I recommend Vista RC1 as it is only a few dollars - about $75 less then an OEM copy of WinXP Home SP2. You will probably end up having to buy an OEM copy of Windows Vista Home Basic or Home Premium. You can get cheaper keyboard+mouse easily.

For a video-card... if you just want to run basic stuff (don't expect an eyepoping preformance) - Leadtek PX7300GS TDH 128MB Supporting to 256MB(128MB on Board) GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Low Profile Video Card - Retail
I'd recommend you sell that card on eBay then buy a GeForce 8600 or something similar for DX10. You should probably hold onto the 7300 GS for about a year, or longer, until your favorite games require DX10.

By the way... I'm 16 and if I am allowed or if I start working, your rig will be similar to mine.

oldsaw

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I don't know what sort of college has accepted you or what sort of "collage" of papers you intend to generate for it, but your grammar is abominable.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I don't know what sort of college has accepted you or what sort of "collage" of papers you intend to generate for it, but your grammar is abominable.

Is my grammar correct in this sentence sir? "don't be a twat"

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
It is unfortunate and you should be warned that if you post any thing in these forums you will be subjected to insults so read these things with a grain of salt. Remember these people don't know you so be a duck in water.

I suggest you read this article on building a core2 system.

Remember this article is just a guide.

http://www.techspot.com/article/34-core2duo-gaming-under-1000/

I am sure there are others sites just google and you can probably find more advice.

Good luck

gondo

Distinguished
Antec P180 is an awesome case. But at an $800 budget is it necessary? You can get by with a cheapo $30 case for now and upgrade down the road.

I'd get an Abit motherboard. Model depends on your CPU choice but definitely the Intel Core 2 Duo is the way to go. If your really cheaping out AMD has Intel beat on the budget end of things.

For Video a Radeon 1950XT is the best deal going for performance gaming. Otherwise read Toms Hardware video card recommendations and choose what he recommends for the budgets. NVidia is the way to go at lower budgets. Do not worry aabout ATI's drivers. They have fixed them over the years. ATI vs NVidia is like comparing Toyota to Honda. Both the same damn thing. No problems on with company as far as drivers go.

Stick with Seagate for the hard drives.

DVD-RW go with Pioneer or NEC. Plextor is out of your budget.

Powersupply. I'd get something included with a case at your budget. Upgrade it down the road when you have the cash to get something you really like.

WHen you have a list together post it and we can comment.

TRENDING THREADS