Windows CE .wav files CANT play on PC but CAN on Mac why?

April 8, 2005 2:00:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc,comp.sys.mac.system,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

I have a Jornada 720 Windows CE device. I have recorded many audio
files in the Windows CE mobile format, which I believe is in the GSM
compression, or perhaps someone can say for sure.

I was working on a audio project and had to get these files over to Mac
for sound editing. So I copied them over to my PC first (running
Windows 98), and then to my Mac. On the PC I tried to play the files
that were recorded in the special mobile compression format, but they
would not play. However regular PCM .wav audio files played just fine
on my PC. My PC is using the latest version of Quicktime that is
available for Windows 98 (at least the latest up to July 2004).

Once the files were on Mac (using OS 9.1 & QT 5.02) the files also could
not play with Quicktime, nor can they be opened with my Sound Editor
SoundMaker. I discovered that only SoundApp could open the files, and I
used that to compress & convert the files to a regular PCM format, and
once in that format I could edit the files. One file I noticed was
about 56K in the Windows CE mobile format, but about 550K in regular PCM
format. So its obvious that Windows CE audio files are nice and small.
But such compression is useless if regular PC and Mac users cannot read
these files.

Does anyone know what the problem was? Thanks.

Remember that the Windows CE files are in 16-bit GSM 6.10 compression
whilke the regular .wav files are in PCM format.

John
--
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible
If you find my posts harassing and such,

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc,comp.sys.mac.system,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Hey Tony thanks for replying. Yes perhaps my laptop is lacking GSM.

On my HPC2000 palmtop I can record in PSM and GSM. I usually record in
GSM since the files are so much smaller.

John

Tony A. wrote:
> John wrote:
> [...]
> > Does anyone know what the problem was? Thanks.
> >
> Presumably you don't have a GSM 6.10 codec installed on your PC.
Perhaps
> it's not installed by default on Windows 98 - to check, start sound
> recorder, go to File->Properties->[Convert Now], and see if GSM 6.10
is on
> the list of formats.
>
> > Remember that the Windows CE files are in 16-bit GSM 6.10
compression
> > whilke the regular .wav files are in PCM format.
> >
> I remember no such thing ;-). My CE 4.2 device uses regular MS PCM,
but I
> guess H/PC 2000? doesn't.
>
> Tony
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 10:53:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc,comp.sys.mac.system,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

[...]

!