USB Connection

I have Win XP Pentium 4

The computer has 2 USB port at the rear which are working well en two at
front which always give me an error message
"USB Device not recognized" So the computer finds the new device via the
front USB port but it can never be used.

Who can assist me with this little nasty problems Thanks in advance Frank in
OZ
6 answers Last reply
More about connection

    Hi Frank,

    A place to start:

    General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Frank" <frank_sa59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have Win XP Pentium 4
    >
    > The computer has 2 USB port at the rear which are working well en two at
    > front which always give me an error message
    > "USB Device not recognized" So the computer finds the new device via the
    > front USB port but it can never be used.
    >
    > Who can assist me with this little nasty problems Thanks in advance Frank
    > in OZ

    Also, get the mobo manual and make sure that the wires to
    the front USB ports are connected correctly.

    | Hi Frank,
    |
    | A place to start:
    |
    | General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
    | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575
    |
    | --
    | Best of Luck,
    |
    | Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    | http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    | Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    | www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    | Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    |
    | "Frank" <frank_sa59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | >I have Win XP Pentium 4
    | >
    | > The computer has 2 USB port at the rear which are
    working well en two at
    | > front which always give me an error message
    | > "USB Device not recognized" So the computer finds the
    new device via the
    | > front USB port but it can never be used.
    | >
    | > Who can assist me with this little nasty problems Thanks
    in advance Frank
    | > in OZ

    Every time I have run into this I have found that the ports were not
    connected or some jumpering was not done right.

    > Also, get the mobo manual and make sure that the wires to
    > the front USB ports are connected correctly.

    > | Hi Frank,
    > |
    > | A place to start:
    > |
    > | General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
    > | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575
    > |
    > | --
    > | Best of Luck,
    > |
    > | Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    > | http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > | Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > | www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > | Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > |
    > | "Frank" <frank_sa59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | >I have Win XP Pentium 4
    > | >
    > | > The computer has 2 USB port at the rear which are
    > working well en two at
    > | > front which always give me an error message
    > | > "USB Device not recognized" So the computer finds the
    > new device via the
    > | > front USB port but it can never be used.
    > | >
    > | > Who can assist me with this little nasty problems Thanks
    > in advance Frank
    > | > in OZ

    Thank you all so much for your useful assistance, I have opened the computer
    and check the cables
    Find minus on plus and plus on minus changed it and now it's working fine

    Thanks again

    "Frank" <frank_sa59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have Win XP Pentium 4
    >
    > The computer has 2 USB port at the rear which are working well en two at
    > front which always give me an error message
    > "USB Device not recognized" So the computer finds the new device via the
    > front USB port but it can never be used.
    >
    > Who can assist me with this little nasty problems Thanks in advance Frank
    > in OZ

    yw

    > Every time I have run into this I have found that the ports were not
    > connected or some jumpering was not done right.

    Yes check carefully. I don't think this is the problem because it at least
    detects the device, however ....

    I've seen at least two different pin-outs for the connector on the
    motherboard. The mobo connector looks the same but the pin allocation might
    be different to the one the case manufacturer assumed. If this is the
    problem you may need to rewire the cable!

    One pin layout I've seen has "rotational symmetry" so that it doesn't matter
    which way around you connect a dual USB cable.

    12345
    54321

    The other pin layout has mirror symmetry..

    12345
    12345

    The manual for the motherboard should have the details.

    Other possibilities may exist!

Connection Computers USB Devices Windows XP