USB Connection

February 3, 2005 11:32:26 AM

I have Win XP Pentium 4

The computer has 2 USB port at the rear which are working well en two at
front which always give me an error message
"USB Device not recognized" So the computer finds the new device via the
front USB port but it can never be used.

Who can assist me with this little nasty problems Thanks in advance Frank in
OZ

More about : usb connection

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:32:27 AM

Hi Frank,

A place to start:

General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Frank" <frank_sa59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have Win XP Pentium 4
>
> The computer has 2 USB port at the rear which are working well en two at
> front which always give me an error message
> "USB Device not recognized" So the computer finds the new device via the
> front USB port but it can never be used.
>
> Who can assist me with this little nasty problems Thanks in advance Frank
> in OZ

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:32:28 AM

Also, get the mobo manual and make sure that the wires to
the front USB ports are connected correctly.

| Hi Frank,
|
| A place to start:
|
| General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575
|
| --
| Best of Luck,
|
| Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
| Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
| www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
| Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
|
| "Frank" <frank_sa59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| >I have Win XP Pentium 4
| >
| > The computer has 2 USB port at the rear which are
working well en two at
| > front which always give me an error message
| > "USB Device not recognized" So the computer finds the
new device via the
| > front USB port but it can never be used.
| >
| > Who can assist me with this little nasty problems Thanks
in advance Frank
| > in OZ

February 3, 2005 11:32:29 AM

Every time I have run into this I have found that the ports were not
connected or some jumpering was not done right.

> Also, get the mobo manual and make sure that the wires to
> the front USB ports are connected correctly.

> | Hi Frank,
> |
> | A place to start:
> |
> | General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
> | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575
> |
> | --
> | Best of Luck,
> |
> | Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> | http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> | Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> | www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> | Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> |
> | "Frank" <frank_sa59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | >I have Win XP Pentium 4
> | >
> | > The computer has 2 USB port at the rear which are
> working well en two at
> | > front which always give me an error message
> | > "USB Device not recognized" So the computer finds the
> new device via the
> | > front USB port but it can never be used.
> | >
> | > Who can assist me with this little nasty problems Thanks
> in advance Frank
> | > in OZ

February 4, 2005 9:27:03 AM

Thank you all so much for your useful assistance, I have opened the computer
and check the cables
Find minus on plus and plus on minus changed it and now it's working fine

Thanks again

"Frank" <frank_sa59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have Win XP Pentium 4
>
> The computer has 2 USB port at the rear which are working well en two at
> front which always give me an error message
> "USB Device not recognized" So the computer finds the new device via the
> front USB port but it can never be used.
>
> Who can assist me with this little nasty problems Thanks in advance Frank
> in OZ

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:27:04 AM

yw

> Thank you all so much for your useful assistance, I have opened the
> computer and check the cables
> Find minus on plus and plus on minus changed it and now it's working fine
>
> Thanks again
>

> "Frank" <frank_sa59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have Win XP Pentium 4
>>
>> The computer has 2 USB port at the rear which are working well en two at
>> front which always give me an error message
>> "USB Device not recognized" So the computer finds the new device via the
>> front USB port but it can never be used.
>>
>> Who can assist me with this little nasty problems Thanks in advance Frank
>> in OZ

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:58:07 PM

> Every time I have run into this I have found that the ports were not
> connected or some jumpering was not done right.

Yes check carefully. I don't think this is the problem because it at least
detects the device, however ....

I've seen at least two different pin-outs for the connector on the
motherboard. The mobo connector looks the same but the pin allocation might
be different to the one the case manufacturer assumed. If this is the
problem you may need to rewire the cable!

One pin layout I've seen has "rotational symmetry" so that it doesn't matter
which way around you connect a dual USB cable.

12345
54321

The other pin layout has mirror symmetry..

12345
12345

The manual for the motherboard should have the details.

Other possibilities may exist!
!