Sign in with
Your question

Razer Diamondback mouse driver causing BSOD

Last response: in Windows 7
July 1, 2011 10:44:48 PM

I own an older Razer Diamondback mouse back from my 2005 build. It has always behaved a little strangely in that it would sometimes not power on when the computer boots up, forcing me to replug it into its USB slot. This behavior persisted through my May 2010 build. Just the other day, however, I noticed that I got a BSOD after replugging the mouse. The culprit was razerlow.sys, a reference to a Razer Diamondback driver. And just this morning, it happened again. (I am including the full error below.)

I have not updated my Diamondback driver before this BSOD occurred. Since the BSOD, I uninstalled the driver/software and installed the latest driver from May of this year, but this BSOD occurred again this morning after this update. The only other times I've experienced BSODs are with ATI drivers 10.5-10.11 (I've been on 10.4 until this year), so maybe my recent update to 11.6 has something to do with this? I have made no changes to my hardware, drivers (except ATI), etc. between the last replugging that did not cause a BSOD and the one that did.

This error only happens when replugging the mouse when it doesn't boot up. If the mouse boots up and I replug it, the error does not occur. I also just switched USB slots and for whatever reason a Windows pop-up stated that the device is being installed, when it must have been installed the whole time.

Windows 7 64-bit
Asus P7P-55D-E LX
i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz
XFX Radeon 5870

ERROR:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\062811-29983-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7601.17592.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`02e4b000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`03090650
Debug session time: Tue Jun 28 08:32:07.136 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:28:09.416
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff800031aeb8a, fffff88007c2b220, 0}

Unable to load image Razerlow.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Razerlow.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Razerlow.sys
Probably caused by : Razerlow.sys ( Razerlow+2986 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2011 2:06:42 AM

Hello,

Maximum PC had an interesting article about the Stop Error 3B, and thought it can be due to a recent Video driver upgrade. Report was, if you recently updated your Video Driver, consider rolling it back to the previous version.
July 3, 2011 4:30:27 AM

I thought it might have been the new drivers. Honestly, ATI has been my only source of BSODs since I built this computer, through once I get the right driver, it works.

Very strange that graphics drivers are causing my mouse to give BSODs.
a b $ Windows 7
July 3, 2011 3:29:47 PM

booseek said:
I thought it might have been the new drivers. Honestly, ATI has been my only source of BSODs since I built this computer, through once I get the right driver, it works.

Very strange that graphics drivers are causing my mouse to give BSODs.

The stop error codes are usually driver or hardware related, and some of them very hard to ID. Usually when they occur after a driver update, or hardware addition, that's going to be the cause. Fixing them can come from updating to a newer driver version, or rolling one back to a previous version.

The lowly mouse actually doesn't do too much comparatively! The only problem I've had with the varmit recently is switching to a new MS combo wireless keyboard/mouse. The latest MS download version of Intellipoint didn't permit connecting the 'favorite keys' to my favorite URL's, so I just used the older CD version instead.
!