Sign in with
Your question

Good OC so far, but i have a few questions

Last response: in Overclocking
January 13, 2007 4:27:23 AM

First things first here are my system specs

Abit AB9
E6400
1 GB G.skill 4-4-4-12 800Mhz DDR2 at 1.9 volts (i think, i'll go check)
X1900GT
Arctic freezer 7 pro

ok, so right now I have my E6400 at 3.2Ghz without any voltage increase (it is at 1.213v according to CPU-Z), its running 1:1.

ok So here are my questions. *Ahem*

1) I remember using uGuru (temp utility that came with mobo) I was getting about 35C idle and 45C. uGuru for some reason stopped working (it says that it is open and when i double click the tray icon the little bar maximizes like its opening but I cannot see it and when i minimize it it minimizes like it was open. Its like its acting normal its just invisible. If anyone knows any fixes for this that would be great!) Anyway, so now I am using core temp beta 0.94. It is showing my temps as more like 40C Idle and 52-53C Load. I have moved since uGuru was working and i am wondering if maybe how i have it set up here has worse air flow or maybe its just a warmer room or if Core Temp reads temps higher (I've heard some programs do this).

2) Everything is working great and it is completely stable under Prime95 Stress test, so my voltage at 1.213 is fine right? You want it to be as low as it can be without causing any problems correct? Is it normal to be able to go to 3.2 without any voltage incrase?

3) Lets say hypothetically that my temps are the same as they used to be with uGuru (Idle 35 load 45), Does this give me a lot of room for more overclocking?

4) Will it be worth it to take it out of 1:1 for a few more hundred mhz? lets say I can take the bus to 450 which would put me at 3.6, would this give me much better real world performance seeing as how I would have to take it out of 1:1 and I would also probably have to lower my memory timings right?

Sorry this is kind of long but i really appreciate any answers to any and/or all of these questions.

Thanks everyone! You guys have always been so helpful!

If you need more info about my setup or a CPU-Z Screenshot or anything let me know!

More about : good questions

January 13, 2007 4:41:44 AM

you got a 50% overclock on STOCK voltages?! insane...

I'm guessing you bought your chip from JESUS?!
January 13, 2007 4:46:46 AM

Yeah i know, it seems really strange, but I didn't change voltages in bios and CPU-z is showing that voltage. Here is a screenshot

And I bought it from Newegg... although many people get the two confused
Related resources
January 13, 2007 6:12:41 PM

hmmm, thats interesting. I wish my uGuru was working. But would these voltages automatically inrease without me changing them in bios? What is another good Voltage monitoring program?

Does anyone else have any insight into my other questions?

Edit:
Quote:
Put a load on the cpu while watching cpuz and it should rise to what asusprobe lists.

this makes it sound like CPU-Z would slowly increase under load until it broke the 1.45 barrier and then revert back to the 1.213. It doesnt do this, it is at 1.213 as soon as i enter windows and stays at 1.213 the entire time Prime95 is running.
January 13, 2007 9:04:42 PM

-bump-

Anyone plz? I'll give you hugs?
January 16, 2007 8:57:13 PM

Ok, So I have figured out using Everest and Core Temp that my voltage is @ 1.3250. I don't believe that I changed any voltage settings. Did this get changed Automatically somehow?

And I am still wondering about my questions #1, #3, and #4.

Thanks everyone!

ps. Coretemp is giving me a load temp of about 53-55C and Everest is giving me about 50-53C. Does anyone know if these programs record temps high or low? I think I have heard that Coretemp reports kind of high temps.
!