Deploying SP4 via GPO.

I'm thinking of using update.msi to push out sp4 to my win2k boxes.

I have a few questions:

Does the gpo try to deploy to all win2k clients even if sp4 is alreay
installed?
Does anyone have any horror stories about using this method of depoloyment?
Would it be better suited to just update with a shutdown script?

Thanks,

Jared
6 answers Last reply
More about deploying

    Jared-

    You'd be better off using group policy as opposed to a shutdown script.

    I've used GP deployments without any hiccups, but, you should obviously test
    this before you try it.

    Brian Desmond
    Windows Server MVP
    desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

    Http://www.briandesmond.com

    "BoomStick" <jared_luker-remove this-@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of using update.msi to push out sp4 to my win2k boxes.
    >
    > I have a few questions:
    >
    > Does the gpo try to deploy to all win2k clients even if sp4 is alreay
    > installed?
    > Does anyone have any horror stories about using this method of
    depoloyment?
    > Would it be better suited to just update with a shutdown script?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jared

    Seems to be an easier option that would yield greater
    gains later--why not set up SUS, and let that handle it?
    SUS can be configured thru a GPO. That's how we pushed
    SP4 out to the 2k boxes here.

    Just an idea, HTH

    Ken

    I don't really want to deploy the service pack to all machines. Will it
    only do it to machines that are pre-sp3?

    thanks,

    Jared

    "Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> wrote in message
    > Jared-
    >
    > You'd be better off using group policy as opposed to a shutdown script.
    >
    > I've used GP deployments without any hiccups, but, you should obviously
    test
    > this before you try it.

    > Brian Desmond
    > Windows Server MVP
    > desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
    >
    > Http://www.briandesmond.com
    >

    > "BoomStick" <jared_luker-remove this-@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm thinking of using update.msi to push out sp4 to my win2k boxes.
    > >
    > > I have a few questions:
    > >
    > > Does the gpo try to deploy to all win2k clients even if sp4 is alreay
    > > installed?
    > > Does anyone have any horror stories about using this method of
    > depoloyment?
    > > Would it be better suited to just update with a shutdown script?
    > >

    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jared

    To add a note about using SUS to push SP4 to W2K clients. There has been a
    lot of message that users have posted saying deploying SP4 using SUS causes
    constant reboots on the systems it was installed on. I ran into the same
    issue having SUS deploy SP4 to my clients. On several occassions it made
    the computers constantly reboot. I would think twice about depoly sp4 this
    way unless the find and fix the problem. check out this newsgroup for the
    info. "microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs"

    Philip Nunn

    "Philip Nunn" <bigphil@newsgroups.nospam> said

    > To add a note about using SUS to push SP4 to W2K clients. There has been a
    > lot of message that users have posted saying deploying SP4 using SUS causes
    > constant reboots on the systems it was installed on. I ran into the same
    > issue having SUS deploy SP4 to my clients. On several occassions it made
    > the computers constantly reboot. I would think twice about depoly sp4 this
    > way unless the find and fix the problem. check out this newsgroup for the
    > info. "microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs"

    I've had the same issue using a GPO to deploy SP4.

    The other problem is that users think the machine is locked up when it sits
    on the "Installing managed application - Windows 2000 Service Pack 4" screen
    for 5-10 minutes at boot up and power-off the machine mid-install.
    Service pack installations don't like to be powered off half way through :-(

    Andy.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Jared-

    I don't have a domain I can test this on, but, I believe it will only
    install on machines which need it. I'd test this in a lab beforehand, if I
    were you.

    > I don't really want to deploy the service pack to all machines. Will it
    > only do it to machines that are pre-sp3?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Jared
    >
    > "Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> wrote in message
    > > Jared-
    > >
    > > You'd be better off using group policy as opposed to a shutdown script.
    > >
    > > I've used GP deployments without any hiccups, but, you should obviously
    > test
    > > this before you try it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > --
    > > Brian Desmond
    > > Windows Server MVP
    > > desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
    > >
    > > Http://www.briandesmond.com
    > >

    > > "BoomStick" <jared_luker-remove this-@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm thinking of using update.msi to push out sp4 to my win2k boxes.
    > > >
    > > > I have a few questions:
    > > >
    > > > Does the gpo try to deploy to all win2k clients even if sp4 is alreay
    > > > installed?
    > > > Does anyone have any horror stories about using this method of
    > > depoloyment?
    > > > Would it be better suited to just update with a shutdown script?
    > > >

    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Jared

Shutdown Script Microsoft Windows