start up w/o selecting a user name

Somehow I had XP Pro starting w/o having to select a 'user'. The other day I
booted up and was forced to select "myself" to log on . . . and I'm the only
user. I hate this extra step! How can I get back to an uninterrupted start up?
3 answers Last reply
More about start selecting user name

    You can use the following steps to enable automatic logon:

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type: control userpasswords2 , and then click OK.
    3. In the dialog box that appears, clear the "Users must enter a user name
    and password to use this computer" check box, and then click OK.

    How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "stumped" wrote:

    | Somehow I had XP Pro starting w/o having to select a 'user'. The other day I
    | booted up and was forced to select "myself" to log on . . . and I'm the only
    | user. I hate this extra step! How can I get back to an uninterrupted start up?

    Hi,

    My guess is that you installed the .net framework from the Windows Update
    site, it adds a user account and causes this behavior. You can safely delete
    the account, which should resolve the problem. If not, follow these steps:
    Click start/run, type "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and
    click ok. Uncheck the box requiring a username and password, click apply/ok
    and follow the prompts to set up a default logon.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "stumped" <stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Somehow I had XP Pro starting w/o having to select a 'user'. The other day
    > booted up and was forced to select "myself" to log on . . . and I'm the
    > only
    > user. I hate this extra step! How can I get back to an uninterrupted start
    > up?

    As Rick said. Here is some more info:

    Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After You
    Install the .NET Framework 1.1:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827072

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "stumped" <stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Somehow I had XP Pro starting w/o having to select a 'user'. The other day
    > booted up and was forced to select "myself" to log on . . . and I'm the
    > only
    > user. I hate this extra step! How can I get back to an uninterrupted start
    > up?

Microsoft Windows XP