start up w/o selecting a user name

Somehow I had XP Pro starting w/o having to select a 'user'. The other day I
booted up and was forced to select "myself" to log on . . . and I'm the only
user. I hate this extra step! How can I get back to an uninterrupted start up?

You can use the following steps to enable automatic logon:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type: control userpasswords2 , and then click OK.
3. In the dialog box that appears, clear the "Users must enter a user name
and password to use this computer" check box, and then click OK.

How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"stumped" wrote:

| Somehow I had XP Pro starting w/o having to select a 'user'. The other day I
| booted up and was forced to select "myself" to log on . . . and I'm the only
| user. I hate this extra step! How can I get back to an uninterrupted start up?

Hi,

My guess is that you installed the .net framework from the Windows Update
site, it adds a user account and causes this behavior. You can safely delete
the account, which should resolve the problem. If not, follow these steps:
Click start/run, type "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and
click ok. Uncheck the box requiring a username and password, click apply/ok
and follow the prompts to set up a default logon.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"stumped" <stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Somehow I had XP Pro starting w/o having to select a 'user'. The other day
> booted up and was forced to select "myself" to log on . . . and I'm the
> only
> user. I hate this extra step! How can I get back to an uninterrupted start
> up?

As Rick said. Here is some more info:

Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After You
Install the .NET Framework 1.1:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827072

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP