Sign in with
Your question

Are The Celerons Discontinued

Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2007 5:17:31 AM

I will never buy a celeron again, although they had there place, but the question is :?: are the Celerons discontinued?

If they are discontinued, what will take there place if anything?

I was wondering as I have not seen or heard of any lately.

More about : celerons discontinued

January 13, 2007 5:20:44 AM

if I'm not mistaken, core solo has taken it's place.
January 13, 2007 5:29:46 AM

Quote:

"Core Solo" so I guess they will be single core CPU's on a type of C2D manufacturing process.

They should be quite powerful I assume to some degree.

Equal to the old P4 netburst around the P4 3.2 GHZ level in the old language.

What do you think?
Related resources
January 13, 2007 5:39:16 AM

Quote:

"Core Solo" so I guess they will be single core CPU's on a type of C2D manufacturing process.

They should be quite powerful I assume to some degree.

Equal to the old P4 netburst around the P4 3.2 GHZ level in the old language.

What do you think?

If it's anything like the current C2Ds, except on a single core, I'd say they'd be more powerful than any P4 ever built. Then again C2S would not have HT, so it probably won't multitask as well.
January 13, 2007 6:43:35 AM

Quote:
I will never buy a celeron again, although they had there place, but the question is are the Celerons discontinued?

No.

Quote:
If they are discontinued, what will take there place if anything?

No they are not discontinued. The current cores on Netburst architectures will be discontinued after Core microarchitecture based ones are out, but they are still not here.

Quote:

You are mistaken, and Celeron is not discontinued, and Core Solo is the single core version of Core Duo, which is a mobile processor.

There will be Celeron based on Core microarchitecture sometime this year.
January 13, 2007 12:55:35 PM

Who still buys celerons and semprons?, the price diffrence between those and a regular cpu is so small
January 13, 2007 1:31:12 PM

Quote:
Who still buys celerons and semprons?, the price diffrence between those and a regular cpu is so small

Celies? Nobody. Semprons? There still decent cpus for low budget rigs, there great for file servers and stuff like that.
January 13, 2007 11:50:42 PM

Quote:
... Semprons? There still decent cpus for low budget rigs, there great for file servers and stuff like that.

Especially when you can get one for $10 or $20 AR.
January 14, 2007 1:26:36 AM

Well, it all depends on the way you look at it. On the one side, escalation would give us a better chance to succeed in that theater, but would be ultimately costly. It seems that we do not want to lose particularly, but that we do not want expend the effort necessary to win this conflict. If the leadership doesn't make a strong decision one way or the other in this case, then we may be consigned to a long, drawn-out siege. The issue is partly that people from competing areas do not want our success to continue and are trying to stop any progress we might make. The major issue lies in our vacillation as a people and our inability to fly under a unified banner.
-cm
January 14, 2007 11:21:51 AM

Quote:
Celies? Nobody. Semprons? There still decent cpus for low budget rigs, there great for file servers and stuff like that.

I have a Celeron... :lol: 
No seriously, though it does sell, but anyone who even knows the brand name probably won't buy it.

Semprons are quite close per clock to the A64's because A64's are virtually insensitive to the cache sizes. Though to cripple it even further there is no dual core version and is clocked significantly slower.

The Celeron 400 line based on the Conroe-L core should outperform the current Netburst based Celerons quite nicely.
Celeron 400:
-800MHz FSB
-1MB L2 cache
-Single core
-Sometime later this year with 1.6/1.8/2.0
January 14, 2007 12:37:23 PM

Quote:

Scale up that purchase over several thousand PC's in a corporate environment and it soon adds up..
January 14, 2007 1:15:57 PM

I have a laptop with a celeron 410@1.46ghz
Its well... faster than i expected... much faster
oh and the laptop NEVER gets hot
Runs vista RC2 (with aero enabled) with 512MB of ram, and GMA 950 graphics and its very smooth

Picked this thing up at bestbuy for $449.99
Keep an eye out and you may see one in stock.
It was an excellent deal

The current one they sell
Compaq
Celeron 420 or 430
512mb of DDR2 533
60 or 80GB Sata hard drive
GMA 950 graphics
17in Widescreen display 1280x800
Wifi B/G
100mb ethernet
2USB ports
DVD-Rom, CDRW (new ones might have a DVDRW... i forget)
Svideo and VGA connector
Total= 499.99 (no rebates required)
I can get about 2.5 hours of dvd playback, and 3 of internet surfing.
GREAT GREAT DEAL IMO
January 14, 2007 3:26:14 PM

I'm UK but we do get similar deals. For general computing they do fine. As you also point out power saving can be an added bonus.
!