thermal grease removal spray

bloodandsoil

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
What do you call the can of spray that you use to remove the thermal grease on a CPU? I'm trying to find the stuff on newegg but no luck so far. Thanks.

bloodandsoil

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Rubbing alcohol I presume?

This other stuff I'm talkin about is neat though because the liquid completely evaporates within a few seconds after it sprays off the thermal compound.

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I've used windolene as far back as i can remember and it's never been a problem. imo people get tooooo finicky with this side of things. Yes apply the paste sparingly and properly, yes try to ground yourself when handling esd sensitive devices if possible but lets be clear that cleaning it with pure alcohol distilled through the queens knickers is not necessary!

PS for those not aware windolene is a light clear cleaning product for glass. I'd be cautious of using a coloured or heavy cleaner.

CRC QD Electronic Cleaner

You can find it at any Auto Parts Store, CRC makes different cleaners just because the can says CRC you need to make sure its the electronics cleaner, its designed not to hurt substrates, and plastics, dries almost instantly, cleans whatever like brand new, CPUs, GPUs, heatsinks, Etc. I always keep a can on hand and use it all the time its a real time saver.

crualtortus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

You can find it at any Auto Parts Store, CRC makes different cleaners just because the can says CRC you need to make sure its the electronics cleaner, its designed not to hurt substrates, and plastics, dries almost instantly, cleans whatever like brand new, CPUs, GPUs, heatsinks, Etc. I always keep a can on hand and use it all the time its a real time saver.

can that be used on the cpu?

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
The differences in "cleaners" is what they actually do to the material. Alcohol will dilute the compound and make it easier to remove. Things like brake parts and carbureator cleaner will actually break down the material, e.g., it's an emulsifier. I would advise against using an emulsifier until almost all of the material is mechanically removed. In other words, clean the heck out of it first, and then - if you want, use an evaoprative emulsifier to remove the residue. Unless you get compound on the actual socket itself or on the cpu pins, a simple cleaning with alcohol should be sufficient.

Leth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Sorry for OT..

but is it necessary to clean the cpu with alcohol? I just clean with some paper and apply the new. Does it make a big difference?

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
There a quite a few threads on thermal compound so there are many opinions. My 2 cents worth is that if it's visually clean without foreign material, it should be just fine but you don't want lint or paper residue on any of the surfaces. The alcohol helps soften and dilute the old compound to make it easier to remove.

For most people, myself included, the CPU is such a major component that we want everything as clean and perfect as possible. Some say it's not necessary, while some even lap the heat sink surface. The opinions and reported results bounce all over the place so you just have to make your own decision.

can that be used on the cpu?

Isn't that what I posted?

Yes I'm quite sure it is in what I posted!

Try reading it again.

But just in case, YES IT CAN BE USED ON CPUs, and GPUs, and will not hurt the substrate or any plastics! GOT IT NOW !

CRC QD Electronic Cleaner is designed to clean electronic components and will not hurt them, if it wasn't completely safe I wouldn't tell any of you it was, or reccommend it to you to use, unlike some of the D/Fs here suggesting carbureator cleaner which will damage the hell out of the substrates of the components, CRC Electronic Cleaner will not.

I know what I'm talking about and have used it time after time and it has never damaged any component, including CPUs and GPUs.

Its an Electronic Cleaner, not carbureators, not brakes, not your F/ing tires or your kitchen sink, it cleans Electronic Components.

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Electronics cleaner like previously suggested or you can get the artic silver artic clean dual liquid remover cleaner. www.frozencpu.com carries it