why can I copy and paste hd-dvd's

sresener

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I recently picked up a hd-dvd rom for my xbox 360 and Im really happy with how that looks on my 1080p lcd tv and how it works with my pc on my 1080p projector. I picked up the eagles farewell in hd just to see how it would sound, but my point was I was bored and wanted to see if It would copy. It did and the funny thing is once its on the hardrive all my other computers in my network can play it at full hd resolution with powerdvd for hd-dvd. I thought it may be a fluke but Superman Returns and The Last Samuri copied the exact same way. And there is no loss in quality either.
Just wondering how is this possible I wouldnt think since I have Any DvD running that it would allow this to work. And all i am doing is litterally copy and pasting in windows

sresener

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I dont know why its working personally. I am doing nothing special just I explore the hd-dvd drive select all the boxes then click copy then I go to my computer make a new folder and then past about 80 minutes later its done and it works. only progam running is any dvd version 5.9.4.1. I tried this cause I was bored and was shocked when it worked and even more shocked when the file worked also

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I doubt you have an HD-DVD burner but if you do try burning them to see if it still works.

The only hack for HD-DVD DRM/anti-copy measures thus far seems a little complex, and involves extracting some obscure number from deep within the bowels of the disc. It also apparently only works with the Xbox HD-DVD drive too, so there may be a pattern emerging here.

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Obviously the studios did think it was nessesary to protect the titles. Not all DVD's are CSS protected, so why should every HD-DVD be protected?
But as HD-DVD writers are becoming availible, count on the studios encrypting their new releases.