How to manage centrally local group policy of PC belonging..

Hi everybody,
is there anyone who knows how I can manage the group policies of a number of
remote Internet PCs avoiding putting them into a domain for security reasons
?

Thanks in advance
Gianluca Pensavalle

One for the main reasons for putting a computer in a domain is to manage
that computer from a central location. You don't get that benefit from a
workgroup.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Gianluca Pensavalle" <gianluca.pensavalle@salvagnini.it> wrote in message
> Hi everybody,
> is there anyone who knows how I can manage the group policies of a number
of
> remote Internet PCs avoiding putting them into a domain for security
reasons
> ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Gianluca Pensavalle

How can I avoid a domain user to connect to the Internet PC if it belongs to
a domain ?

"Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
> One for the main reasons for putting a computer in a domain is to manage
> that computer from a central location. You don't get that benefit from a
> workgroup.
>
> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
> "Gianluca Pensavalle" <gianluca.pensavalle@salvagnini.it> wrote in message
> > Hi everybody,
> > is there anyone who knows how I can manage the group policies of a
number
> of
> > remote Internet PCs avoiding putting them into a domain for security
> reasons
> > ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Gianluca Pensavalle

What do you mean by "connect to the Internet PC"?

Are you trying to prevent the domain user from getting to the Internet or
are you trying to prevent a domain user from connecting to a PC that has
internet access?

DDS

> How can I avoid a domain user to connect to the Internet PC if it belongs
> a domain ?
>

> "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
> > One for the main reasons for putting a computer in a domain is to manage
> > that computer from a central location. You don't get that benefit from a
> > workgroup.
> >
> > hth
> > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
> >
> > "Gianluca Pensavalle" <gianluca.pensavalle@salvagnini.it> wrote in
message
> > > Hi everybody,
> > > is there anyone who knows how I can manage the group policies of a
> number
> > of
> > > remote Internet PCs avoiding putting them into a domain for security
> > reasons
> > > ?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> > > Gianluca Pensavalle

The second one. I have a number of W2k PC dedicated to browse internet and
downloads outside the domain. We defined a local user with autologin to
permit people to go to Internet. Also we defined a set of local group policy
to disable control panel and many other things. We need to find a solution
to manage centrally these policies.
If we are obliged to put into a domain these PCs, we don't want a domain
user to log in these PCs.

> What do you mean by "connect to the Internet PC"?
>
> Are you trying to prevent the domain user from getting to the Internet or
> are you trying to prevent a domain user from connecting to a PC that has
> internet access?
>
> DDS
>
> "Gianluca Pensavalle" <gianluca.pensavalle@salvagnini.it> wrote in message
> > How can I avoid a domain user to connect to the Internet PC if it
belongs
> > a domain ?
> >

> > "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
> > > One for the main reasons for putting a computer in a domain is to
manage
> > > that computer from a central location. You don't get that benefit from
> > > workgroup.
> > >
> > > hth
> > > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
> > >
> > > "Gianluca Pensavalle" <gianluca.pensavalle@salvagnini.it> wrote in
> message
> > number
> > > of
> > > reasons

If I'm following you correctly if you add these (Internet access) computers
to the domain you don't want domain users to log in to these computers?

This article describes how to allow users to log into a domain computer if
they receive the message "The local Policies of this system does not permit
you to log on interactively". You actually want your users to get this
message if they try to log in. (If I'm following you correctly)?

Modify the steps in this article to set "deny logon locally" on these
computers, for your domain users or authenticated users group, to get your
desired results.
See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285793&Product=win2000