Damage and continual flame spell

Moo

Hi!

Sorry to be asking such a noob question, but I never really got this. What
does the damage on an item/spell mean? eg: 1d6 , 1d8 , 3d10... what is good
what is bad?

Also I have acquired a 'continual flame' spell although when I select an
item through inventory and then select the spell and cast it, it doesn't
work? Some message comes up saying failure item is not suitable...or
something like that. Anyone help on this?

Moo wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Sorry to be asking such a noob question, but I never really got this. What
> does the damage on an item/spell mean? eg: 1d6 , 1d8 , 3d10... what is good
> what is bad?

1d6: One six-sided die. So one to six.
1d8: One eight-sided die. One to eight.
3d10: Three ten-sided dice. Three to thirty.
Etc.

Drax

On Wed, 26 May 2004 19:15:49 +1000, "Moo" <.@nospam.org> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Sorry to be asking such a noob question, but I never really got this. What
>does the damage on an item/spell mean? eg: 1d6 , 1d8 , 3d10... what is good
>what is bad?
>

>Also I have acquired a 'continual flame' spell although when I select an
>item through inventory and then select the spell and cast it, it doesn't
>work? Some message comes up saying failure item is not suitable...or
>something like that. Anyone help on this?

Continual Flame only works on helmets and armor

Drax

On Wed, 26 May 2004 19:15:49 +1000, "Moo" <.@nospam.org> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Sorry to be asking such a noob question, but I never really got this. What
>does the damage on an item/spell mean? eg: 1d6 , 1d8 , 3d10... what is good
>what is bad?
>

>Also I have acquired a 'continual flame' spell although when I select an
>item through inventory and then select the spell and cast it, it doesn't
>work? Some message comes up saying failure item is not suitable...or
>something like that. Anyone help on this?

Strange I just tryed to cast Continual Flame again and it works on
everything? Try to update your version of the game; they must have
fixed the problem.

"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Moo wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Sorry to be asking such a noob question, but I never really got this.
What
> > does the damage on an item/spell mean? eg: 1d6 , 1d8 , 3d10... what is
good
> > what is bad?
>
> 1d6: One six-sided die. So one to six.
> 1d8: One eight-sided die. One to eight.
> 3d10: Three ten-sided dice. Three to thirty.

So what does 1d8/1d8 mean on a double edged weapon ? is that effectively two
throws each time ?

Manky Badger wrote:

> So what does 1d8/1d8 mean on a double edged weapon ? is that effectively two
> throws each time ?

The simple answer is "yes," but it's a little more complicated than
that. A double weapon is a weapon you use in both hands which simulates
a medium weapon in your main hand and a light weapon in your off-hand.
So if you're using, say, a two-bladed sword which does 1d8/1d8 damage,
it's as if you had a medium sword which does 1d8 damage in your main
hand and a light sword which does 1d8 damage in your off-hand. All
normal feats and penalties that apply to dual-wielding are in effect.

On Wed, 26 May 2004 19:15:49 +1000, "Moo" <.@nospam.org> wrote:

>Sorry to be asking such a noob question, but I never really got this. What
>does the damage on an item/spell mean? eg: 1d6 , 1d8 , 3d10... what is good
>what is bad?

The higher the better.

>Also I have acquired a 'continual flame' spell although when I select an
>item through inventory and then select the spell and cast it, it doesn't
>work? Some message comes up saying failure item is not suitable...or
>something like that. Anyone help on this?

It can only be cast on equippable items.

> Manky Badger wrote:
>
> > So what does 1d8/1d8 mean on a double edged weapon ? is that effectively
two
> > throws each time ?
>
> The simple answer is "yes," but it's a little more complicated than
> that. A double weapon is a weapon you use in both hands which simulates
> a medium weapon in your main hand and a light weapon in your off-hand.
> So if you're using, say, a two-bladed sword which does 1d8/1d8 damage,
> it's as if you had a medium sword which does 1d8 damage in your main
> hand and a light sword which does 1d8 damage in your off-hand. All
> normal feats and penalties that apply to dual-wielding are in effect.

Forgive me for being thick......

So basically a 1d8/1d8 weapon will probably do more harm than a 1d12 weapon
?

MB

Vellu

Yes, but since the offhand strike is less likely (due to dual-wielding
penalties) to actually score a hit, not always. And being a dual-weapon even
the main hand attack has a lower "hit ratio", then a single-hand weapon.

So, if you score hits on both main and off-hand, you do more damage. But a
single hand weapon is more likely to score a hit. Especially againts
opponents with high AC, you need to have dual-weapon feats to increase your
hit propabilites with two-hand weapons.

> Forgive me for being thick......
>
> So basically a 1d8/1d8 weapon will probably do more harm than a 1d12
weapon
> ?
>
> MB

Moo

I just updated (very minor update) so I don't know if it helped. But it
seems that I have misunderstood the process of casting the spell. I now have
selected the spell in my quickslot and cast it on myself, it works! I have
been trying to cast it on items via the inventory, that doesn't work - even
on armour and helms.

Well thanks for all those who helped!

Moo

"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 19:15:49 +1000, "Moo" <.@nospam.org> wrote:
>
> >Sorry to be asking such a noob question, but I never really got this.
What
> >does the damage on an item/spell mean? eg: 1d6 , 1d8 , 3d10... what is
good
> >what is bad?
>
> The higher the better.
>
> >Also I have acquired a 'continual flame' spell although when I select an
> >item through inventory and then select the spell and cast it, it doesn't
> >work? Some message comes up saying failure item is not suitable...or
> >something like that. Anyone help on this?
>
> It can only be cast on equippable items.

Yeah