Aspect ratio problem - DVD on HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 27, 2004 9:47:09 PM

I have a Sony NS-715P DVD player hooked up to a Philips Widescreen 34" HDTV.
The picture is great when the source comes from my HD cable box, but
everything is stretched when playing a DVD.

The hookup is through one of the component video inputs.

The TV doesn't provide any means of switching video modes when using one of
the two component video inputs. Which makes sense, because it's my
understanding that when a source is hooked up through component input, the
TV really doesn't have any say as to how the picture is formatted.

The DVD player has a setting for "TV Type" in which the choices are 16:9,
4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 Pan and Scan. I have it normally set to 16:9, but in
trying to figure this out i've noticed that switching between these three
options makes no difference at all. Is my DVD player broken?

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

I have used a tape measure to physically measure the picture on the screen.
a 2.35:1 DVD shows up as a 29" by 10" picture (2.9:1)

4:3 DVDs play fullscreen. 1.85:1 aspect ratio DVDs play like 2.35:1 DVDs

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 9:47:10 PM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:47:09 GMT, in article
<x0xjc.51522$IW1.2972218@attbi_s52>, "SJP" <SJP@Virtuo.com> wrote:

>I have a Sony NS-715P DVD player hooked up to a Philips Widescreen 34" HDTV.
>The picture is great when the source comes from my HD cable box, but
>everything is stretched when playing a DVD.

You are probably using the wrong zoom mode on the TV. Look for an
"aspect", "zoom" or similar button on the remote.

>The TV doesn't provide any means of switching video modes when using one of
>the two component video inputs. Which makes sense, because it's my
>understanding that when a source is hooked up through component input, the
>TV really doesn't have any say as to how the picture is formatted.

This doesn't make sense. The TV should be able to access different zoom
modes on the component inputs. Now there are some older sets from a few
years ago that will lock into 16:9 mode when receiving 480p input. If
you really can't switch zoom modes, try setting the DVD player to 480i
output, or try using S-video. What model # is the TV?

>The DVD player has a setting for "TV Type" in which the choices are 16:9,
>4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 Pan and Scan. I have it normally set to 16:9, but in
>trying to figure this out i've noticed that switching between these three
>options makes no difference at all. Is my DVD player broken?

There won't be any difference between 4:3 modes, as there are near-zero
discs that use that feature. But you should see a difference between
16:9 & 4:3 letterbox on the vast bulk of discs, that are labeled as
"enhanced for 16:9" or "anamorphic widescreen". Which movies are you
trying? For some movies, the 4:3 letterboxed variety, there will be no
difference between the modes. As a rule you should leave this setting
on 16:9.
--
Stephen Tu
stephtu@surfbest.net

The TV is a Philips 34PW850H, and I'm noticing that it doesn't work quite as
the manual describes.

On page 38 of the online manual
(http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/34pw850h/34pw850h_df...) it says
that the format control isn't available with the AV4 inputss if 1080i signal
is detected. Now, my cable box is hooked up to AV4 and is 1080i, but my DVD
is hooked up to CVI and is 480p. Contrary to what the manual says, there is
no "Format" option available from the menu. Not sure what the deal is...

!