Secondary HDD works fine but cannot be Disk Cleanup or Defrag

parsimony

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hello everyone!

I have a two HDD setup with a newer Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB as my secondary drive. It stores all my bigger files such as video games, videos, and so on. Whenever I try to optimize that hard drive using Disk Cleanup or Disk Defragmenter, it doesn't seem to execute the program. The hard drive is running and DC and DD have it on their list but when I use DC it would just come up with 0 mb to clean every time and DD always run a lot faster than the smaller primary drive which is also Western Digital. Is there somewhere in Windows 7 configuration that I need to change to enable the disk to be optimized?

I am running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

Thanks,
Pars.

Disk cleanup will not run (the wizard won't find any files to clean) on a secondary drive under Windows 7. It will only run on the drive the OS is installed on. Defrag is another story though... it should run on any drive connected to the computer (provided it is not a solid state drive).

"Is there somewhere in Windows 7 configuration that I need to change to enable the disk to be optimized? "

Yes. Install Disk Defrag. It is much better in optimizing and faster(Disk Defrag is FREE for home users, yet supplied with advanced disk optimization techniques that only paid analogs have.)

But better yet, u can select to move system files (most used files) to the front of the disc so they are closer to the read/write heads, so it will react faster.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

One of the best ones out there.

parsimony

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks for all the response guys. I'll be downloading some of the files that were recommended as the default DD program just won't configure the secondary HDD that does not have Windows 7.