2k boot - LONG delay at "Applying Security Policy"

Hello-

Some W2K workstations in our domain are experiencing very
long delays during boot. The screen will say "Applying
Security Policy" and just sit and sit for a good 5 minutes
before moving along.

Can anyone suggest a reason this might be happening?

The domain is still a very simple NT 4.0 domain with two
DCs, a backup and primary.

TIA.

-Shannon

This is usually a DNS configuration issue.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"sjohnson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello-
>
> Some W2K workstations in our domain are experiencing very
> long delays during boot. The screen will say "Applying
> Security Policy" and just sit and sit for a good 5 minutes
> before moving along.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reason this might be happening?
>
> The domain is still a very simple NT 4.0 domain with two
> DCs, a backup and primary.
>
> TIA.
>
> -Shannon

It could also be related to file or registry security. Are you doing any
extensive file system or registry security changes in your GPOs. These are
pretty expensive operations.

"Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message
> This is usually a DNS configuration issue.
>
> --
> Derek Melber
> BrainCore.Net
> derekm@braincore.net
> "sjohnson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello-
> >
> > Some W2K workstations in our domain are experiencing very
> > long delays during boot. The screen will say "Applying
> > Security Policy" and just sit and sit for a good 5 minutes
> > before moving along.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a reason this might be happening?
> >
> > The domain is still a very simple NT 4.0 domain with two
> > DCs, a backup and primary.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > -Shannon

DNS is possible. Not doing much policy stuff except for
when we tried SUS - to deploy the automatic update
config - but that was only per-machine on a few IT
computers. This is happening to laptops primarily. My
boss may have fixed it by renaming some security database
in %systemroot%\security (???) and having it recreated?
Not real clear on that...

If you are on an NT4 domain, you are only running a local GPO. That narrows
it down quite a bit, and also makes your boss' solution sound reasonable -
especially if it worked ;-). Did you check the event log for associated
errors?

Regards,

Eric

> DNS is possible. Not doing much policy stuff except for
> when we tried SUS - to deploy the automatic update
> config - but that was only per-machine on a few IT
> computers. This is happening to laptops primarily. My
> boss may have fixed it by renaming some security database
> in %systemroot%\security (???) and having it recreated?
> Not real clear on that...

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Having the same problem here... what should we look for in DNS??

"Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message
> This is usually a DNS configuration issue.
>
> --
> Derek Melber
> BrainCore.Net
> derekm@braincore.net
> "sjohnson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello-
> >
> > Some W2K workstations in our domain are experiencing very
> > long delays during boot. The screen will say "Applying
> > Security Policy" and just sit and sit for a good 5 minutes
> > before moving along.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a reason this might be happening?
> >
> > The domain is still a very simple NT 4.0 domain with two
> > DCs, a backup and primary.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > -Shannon

1) make sure the client computer has the correct DNS IP address (type
ipconfig /all)
2) make sure that the DCs are correctly updated in DNS, for A and SRV
records
3) make sure the the DCs have the correct DNS IP address configured
4) make sure the DNS server can be reached by the client

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net