Your question

Flickering/Garbled Screen on Start up with GeForce 6600

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2007 12:08:23 PM

Thought I fixed it...Same problem back with a vengence....Brief review of the problem/error, after turning my PC on the Gateway logo comes up fine and then my screen goes nuts flickering and being garbled....Must turn off my PC and then turn it on again...This has been happening almost on a daily basis....I guess updating my video driver for my GeForce 6600 was not the ticket....Could it be my new power source?...I then plugged my monitor directly into the wall socket...no help..same problem...What the hell is wrong?

Did some searching on the internet and did see something about "refresh rate"...mmmmmmm.....I changed my monitor's (ENVISION EN2028 LCD) refresh rate from 60 Hertz to 75 Hertz.....Guess what the problem/error has not happened for two days now.......Don't ask me how but, it has seemed to work and way over my head to give a simple explanation as to why this may have helped....I do know using my XP Media Live TV function there is some hesitation going to full screen view but, it does and I don't mind the slight delay.......

Thought anyone out there having a similar start up problem would like to know...I would like some "expert" to explain in the simpliest terms possible why the refresh rate was the culprit....Thanks.....

More about : flickering garbled screen start geforce 6600

January 14, 2007 12:47:55 AM

Not an expert,, but in simplest terms,,sometimes if the refresh rate is too low it will sync with something in the environment with various results, from migraines to equipment malfunctioning,generally speaking any monotor should be operated at it's highest and most comfortable rate for both you and your equipment,which is usually 75 htz plus......:) 
January 14, 2007 1:41:55 AM

ok...wish I knew that earlier...but, that is how you learn..I mean I was baffled as to why my screen was acting up as it did...

I literally had to restart EVERY time I tried to turn it on....Thanks again....
Related resources
January 15, 2007 10:17:40 AM

had the same issue this morning....go to turn on my pc and after the Gateway Logo the screen flickers and is garbled...bunch of hyphens, U, 1, 2, are all over the screen....NEED HELP!....and yes I did update the video driver.............
June 12, 2007 1:45:09 PM

I'm having a very similar problem with my Gainward FX 5600 Ultra. I guess you could call it garbled. I run it on 85 htz. Now I'll try with 75 htz. Resolution is 1280 1024.
I used the latest drivers which are 97.78_quadro_winxp2k_english_whql.exe. But had lots of problems with those so now I'm trying with 91.31_winxp2kmce_english_whql.exe. I'm having lots of problems finding any info on these versions and their history, instabilities and so on.
I thought maybe it could be the power supply but I don't know. I'm having the same problems when I detach my two DVD drives. So I don't know...
!