Ati error

Peet

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Hi everyone,
Perhaps this is a software related problem but on the software forum nobody replied so I try to post it here.
Just before Christmas I bought my new HDD and installed Windows on it. Of course I installed my radeon 9600 xt's driver. I got the driver from ati's or AMD's site, the latest Catalyst driver(6.12). Everything works fine (games, windows) except one thing. Theres an error .: I can't open the graphics card's control panel, and it says something about cli exe error, and there are 2 options: debug and close. I usually press close, and after it the ATI icon disappears from the system tray. So What do you think, what could be the problem? I asked a friend of mine and he said that I should try the video card in another system too, maybe there's something wrong with it.
Thanks. I would insert an image of the error but I don't know to do it.
Peet

Peet

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
I have installed net framework because without it I can't install the Catalyst control center and it doesn't apper the ati icon in the system tray. I installed version 2.0 and still crashes.

Well here's the error: " CLi Application(Command Line Interface)n has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. " And there are two available buttons debug and close.

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
yes, close your anti virus program, install .NET 2.0 (might ask for a restart), then install the new drivers (restart).

Also there are newer drivers then the 6.12 that you stated in your OP. goto the ATI/AMD site and get the new 7.1 drivers.

bLAKE

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Try re-installing drivers.But first you need to disconnect from the internet,and then you need to disable your antivirus program.Then once you've done that,you can install the video drivers.For some reason there is a conflict with antivirus programs and video drivers.I'm sure if you look in the manual or on the website,it will tell you to disable antivirus before installing drivers.Once the drivers are installed,you reboot.when the machine boots up your anti virus will be running and you can connect back to the internet.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.533 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

Peet

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
First of all I removed the old(6.12) ati catalyst control center and the drivers, then net framework 2.0 After it I removed the antivirus too. I unplugged my internet cable and installed the new 7.1 ATI Catalyst control center and drivers. It was working fine until I reinstalled NOD32 2.5, and now does the same problem. Any other suggestions? I read that article that Vokofpolisiekar suggested but I don't know what is Imon?

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I browsed through the article - and it seems that like a firewall, NOD also has an exception parameter that allows certain files to operate that would normally not be allowed to run.

Imon seems to be that part of the program that allows this or not. More on this topic I can't help, as I've never heard of NOD nor used it.

Maybe some googling might show you how to use it, or maybe sum1 on the forum can help.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well obviously you need to find a different antivirus program.The one you currently have is interfering too much.Try avg free version,or just go and spend the few dollars it will cost for panda antivirus.I tried nod32 and was not impressed much by it.Panda has my vote.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.533 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

Peet

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
I managed to solve the problem. I installed Kaspersky 6 (trial version) to test it for a couple of days and it works fine, my catlyst control center as well. Thanks for the advices. Have a nice day.

G

Hmmm.. odd. I use ATI catalyst with my x800xt AIW with NOD (latest version) and my control panel works fine.

MikeGR7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
NO! I am an ATI use for about 6 years and never had problem with antivirus. I am pretty sure that your problem is Net Framework. You need to install BOTH 1.1 and 2.0 despite what ATI says in release notes. I had problems with only 2.0 installed. At least you should try and let us know. :eek:

Edit: i am happy you've fixed it. Odd that it was indeed antivirus... But that's pc world, always something new! :wink:

Peet

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
I'm running 32 bit XP Professional I think. I have Sempron 2600+ @1.83 GHz so I think it's 32 bit version.

I had the exact same problem when I installed my new X1950Pro and updated with latest drivers from the web site.
Everytime I tried to open the Catalyst control center, I got the same error message you are getting. I uninstalled ALL ATI software, did a fresh reinstall, and all works fine now. I did not have to disable or turn off any of my anti-virus software.