Lost Aspect-Ratio Control JVC HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 27, 2004 8:30:05 PM

New JVC 56" projection. Had aspect ratio control on satelite but when
new HD satelite receiver was istalled I lost the control of the aspect
ratio. Now when I push the aspect button I get a red circle with a
line through it. All Video inputs have aspect control except the one
I have the HD signal going to. I can move the HD signal aroundto
other video inputs and the problem moves with it.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Win
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 10:14:41 PM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:30:05 -0500, Win <winlyn@winlyn.us> wrote:

>New JVC 56" projection. Had aspect ratio control on satelite but when
>new HD satelite receiver was istalled I lost the control of the aspect
>ratio. Now when I push the aspect button I get a red circle with a
>line through it. All Video inputs have aspect control except the one
>I have the HD signal going to. I can move the HD signal aroundto
>other video inputs and the problem moves with it.
>
>Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
>
>Win

Well, as is frequently the case, I figured it all out after making my
post. The satelite receiver disabled the aspect-ratio button on the
JVC remote, but enabled the functions on the satelite remote, on a
button called "format".

Thanks everyone, anyway.

Win
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 10:16:23 PM

You can't change aspect on digital signal.

"Win" <winlyn@winlyn.us> wrote in message
> New JVC 56" projection. Had aspect ratio control on satelite but when
> new HD satelite receiver was istalled I lost the control of the aspect
> ratio. Now when I push the aspect button I get a red circle with a
> line through it. All Video inputs have aspect control except the one
> I have the HD signal going to. I can move the HD signal aroundto
> other video inputs and the problem moves with it.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
>
> Win

Related resources
April 28, 2004 3:12:32 AM

"Win" <winlyn@winlyn.us> wrote in message
> New JVC 56" projection. Had aspect ratio control on satelite but when
> new HD satelite receiver was istalled I lost the control of the aspect
> ratio. Now when I push the aspect button I get a red circle with a
> line through it. All Video inputs have aspect control except the one
> I have the HD signal going to. I can move the HD signal aroundto
> other video inputs and the problem moves with it.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
>
> Win

Most sets do not allow manipulation of HD signals. HD signals are supposed
to be the same aspect ratio as the TV. If a broadcaster upconverts and adds
black or gray areas, just go to a 480i signal. You aren't watching HD
anyway.

Pat
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 7:50:36 AM

"RobHolif" <robholif@cox.net> wrote in message
> You can't change aspect on digital signal.

If your HDTV can't, you'll be watching some programs through an effective
funhouse mirror. At least some ABC affiliates, such as WLS in Chicago,
broadcast 4:3 material directly upconverted to 720p, which is then displayed
in 16:9 as per the ATSC standard, resulting in a vertically scrunched
(horizontally stretched) picture. A good 4:3 HDTV like my Zenith C32V37 can
vertically stretch such a broadcast to its correct 4:3 aspect ratio; and I
assume that a good 16:9 HDTV can pillarbox such a broadcast in order to
reach that same correct 4:3.
!