User Group Policy not applying after uninstall of Novell C..

I have an interesting problem. Here's what we have:

1. A Windows 2000 domain with several OU's.
2. One department (OU) has a group policy applied to it
3. Sixteen PC's in this department are all running Windows 2000 SP4, and
have Novell client installed (some applications, and user folders were on
the Novell server).

We are trying to get rid of the Novell server, in fact all user folders are
moved and most applications are moved. We have been experimenting with
removing the Novell client to see what happens. All the applications, and
drive mappings work great without Novell. The only thing is that once we
remove the Novell Client, the User settings of Group Policy do not apply.
The Computer settings are applying just fine.

All users are a member of the OU where the group policy is applied. I have
experimented with changing some of the security settings in GPMC to apply to
users individually, or to a group within that OU. I have tried removing the
computer from the domain, and rejoining and even renaming the PC (although
that shouldn't matter for User Policies). I have selected to enforce the
policy link in GPMC. I can't figure what else we need to do to get this
working.

I don't want to have to reinstall windows 2000 on all these machines,
although I am going to experiment to see if they apply to a windows 2000
machine that never had a Novell client on it.

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave P
2 answers Last reply
More about user group policy applying uninstall novell

    Have you tried to delete the users profile off the machine
    and see if the settings withing the GPO apply? I have had
    problems with old profiles not fully getting all of
    novells setting out of the cracks. The only problem is if
    you have settings with in the profile you might need to
    keep. just ensure you save the profile saved before you
    try this.

    Hope this helps.

    Rich

    Rich,
    You know, I never thought of this. Luckily, the group that I need this for
    uses a mandatory profile, and it's the same for all 20-30 employees. So, I
    recreated the profile on a Windows 2000 machine without Novell on it, and
    tested it out. That did the trick. I was able to successfully remove the
    Novell client from the 16 call center PC's and still have the group policies
    apply. We can finally turn off our last Novell Server.

    Thanks,

    Dave P

Novell Policy Windows 2000 Windows