Sign in with
Your question

x1950 xt or 8800GTS?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2007 2:21:44 PM

ok i know the GTS is better card. its about 100 bucks more here is my qustion how much more electricity does it use? I am trying to make a very energy efficient computer so that matters to me

thanks in adveance

More about : x1950 8800gts

a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2007 2:56:59 PM

they are probably about the same.

though i would imagine the 88gts uses a little more.
January 13, 2007 3:03:18 PM

lol, the difference of power consumption in either of those cards shouldn't be significant enough for you to care at this point. These are highend cards which require alot of power. It is very ironic that you are trying to make an energy efficient computer with this cards.
i highly suggest you dont get either of these cards if the power consumtion concerns you.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2007 3:38:59 PM

what?

i think the op is palnning on buying just one of the cards
and is dieciding which one to get.

2 1950,s wont smoke an 88gts.
January 13, 2007 3:39:05 PM

ha, I guess I wasnt clear. my computer will run nearly 24/7 with like BF 2142 and games of that caliber. so especially if the ati card is more power hungry I would get the GTS cuz it is like 100 more but in the computers life span I would use way more then 100 less. got it? do you have any idea when the second revision of the GTS is coming out because I need the computer pretty quick?
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2007 3:44:15 PM

Quote:

meh, I know that you are a smart person and trust your judgement, but seriously. Get two x1950xt's in crossfire for the same price as the gts and that will smoke the gts hands down. Then only problem is the dx9 capability, so my advice is to wait for the second revision of the gts to come out at only $300 and then decide
http://www.techpowerup.com/?23435

You are out of your freaking mind! show me how two X1950XT's in crossfire comes out to be the same price as one 8800GTS :roll:

Also do you realize that the 8800GTS are performing on the same level as the GTX's once overclocked to GTX speeds?! And btw they have all been overclocking fairly easily to GTX speeds so its not really a concern as to rather or not you will reach that speed.

A single 8800GTS in that case would perform better than Xfired X1950XT's as a single GTX has already been shown to beat the Xfired setup.

You would have to be an idiot to choose 2 x1950xt's over a single 8800GTS which has DX10 support plus outperforms the higher power consuming Xfired setup. :roll:

lol. yeah isnt an x1950 about the same price as a 8800gts.
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2007 3:57:08 PM

i remember that level1505 thing.

that was where they had an r600 but they didnt :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2007 3:59:14 PM

Quote:
Also I forgot to add that those are not even the 512mb X1950xt's and they still cost more. LMAO.

Taco I hate to have to burn you yet again but when you say such foolish things its kinda hard not too.

I still love you though. :wink:

yeah his post usually seem pretty good and informative.
but when he posted to me,

well it had me thinking maybee he has been huffin gas or whatever
teenagers do nowa-days :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2007 4:13:38 PM

i just dont understand how he figures that the 2 ati cards are cheaper and faster than the g80 card.

i know he is young but always thought he was fairly smart.

maybe he has sniffed some compressed air 8O heard that was big with
the teenagers for a cheap high.
January 13, 2007 4:29:52 PM

lol. This tickles my belly. These cards while crossfired put them close to the gtx price range. And any person here knows that the xt's dont even compare. Also, when going the crossfire route theres the possibility of having to upgrade the power supply to handle the 2 cards that aren't even as fast. So lets say "for the sake of the story" $200 on top of the $500 plus for the 2 cards. That just doesnt sound like good advice to me. Anyway, i was just bored.
January 13, 2007 4:30:10 PM

hmm, is the power consumtion really an issue for you? or is it because you are going to be running your system 24/7, and that is why you want the most power efficient comp?
January 13, 2007 4:33:12 PM

He can look at it like this. The gts is much more power efficent for the performance delivered.
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2007 4:38:02 PM

i like both ati and nvidia.

i will probably get that new 88gts that is coming out soon for 300$

i am currently using a 68gt was using 2 for sli.
but built another s939 computer as i had a s939 mobo sitting around
and wanted to go to x2 so i put my old 3700 and my other 68gt
in the new computer.

and the x24400 that i upgraded to is workin fine.
just ran an overnight prime95 test with it oc,ed to 2.6
and it passed and the temp was at 38c woohoo :lol: 
January 13, 2007 7:53:07 PM

LOL! Well I am going with the GTS but does anyone know when the new revision for 300 comes out? I would like to wait but I cant wait long.

I am an ati fan, BUT I am not realy an ati fan, they were just better tech till now, same with amd ALL of my computers were amd, but now getting core 2 duo cuz they pown the shit outa amd.
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2007 9:27:03 PM

Quote:
Who writes the toms reviews anyway (user names if you know them)?

cleeve. for gpu,s

if you have questions pm him.
January 13, 2007 10:09:29 PM

also isnt the 8800GTS really freakin long? like over and around a foot long
and doesnt fit into some cases?
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2007 11:26:50 PM

is that the coolermaster cent 5?
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2007 11:29:03 PM

cool. that means if i get an 8800gtx it will fit in mine. :D 
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2007 11:33:47 PM

i have the same case and love it.

i also have the sonataII and it is nice.

the cent 5 is a lot heavier built though.
January 14, 2007 12:00:07 AM

Quote:
ok i know the GTS is better card. its about 100 bucks more here is my qustion how much more electricity does it use? I am trying to make a very energy efficient computer so that matters to me

thanks in adveance

A fully stressed 8800GTS will consume about 225W without overclock.

With overclock it can consume as much as 400W with 3Dmark06.(Slizone.com) Though when you think about it, there are two 75W - 6 pin connectors and an additional 75W PCIe... that totals 225W.

The 1950XT is at about 250W peak... or so i have read.
January 14, 2007 1:58:27 AM

THANK YOU, THAT IS SOO WHAT i WANTED TO HEAR!!!!!1 although I hear that the 8800's have trouble with some non nVidia mobo chipsets
January 14, 2007 2:24:14 AM

The 8800 GTS has some buggy drivers, but they're most assuredly going to get worked out. Just for clarification, an 8800 GTS oc'ed to GTX speeds still won't match its performance because of the smaller amount of shaders, amount of memory, etc.
January 14, 2007 1:02:49 PM

Use the ATI card.......save some money and you just can't beat the image quality with that card........
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2007 2:02:49 PM

Quote:
Use the ATI card.......save some money and you just can't beat the image quality with that card........

the gts beats the ati,s image quality and performance by 100%.
January 14, 2007 2:16:09 PM

The difference between the two cards power consumption amounts to a few dollars difference per year on your power bill. If you really care that much, get the more efficient of the two. Personally a difference of even $20 a year on my power bill doesn't make a difference. And yes that assumes 24/7 operation. THG has stated many times that even being on 24/7, a highend gaming computer uses maybe $5-7 of power per month.
January 14, 2007 2:48:27 PM

Nvidia is positioning themselves at all price points with the G80/G70. The same thing that Intel did with the Core2Duo. They made themselves the best processor for the price no matter which price point you were diving into. I'm curious as to what ATI is actually going to do in terms of an answer to Nvidia. AMD's current answer to Intel is energy efficient processors but are still lacking in the price performance range(I wont even mention AMD's "quad core" answer). Hopefully ATI won't do the same just to keep there current setup alive.
January 14, 2007 4:48:01 PM

Quote:
I'm curious as to what ATI is actually going to do in terms of an answer to Nvidia. AMD's current answer to Intel is energy efficient processors but are still lacking in the price performance range(I wont even mention AMD's "quad core" answer). Hopefully ATI won't do the same just to keep there current setup alive.

I don't think thats how it will work. I wish I could be more specific, as I have read a tremendous amount of articles regarding R600 release, but out of the combined efforts from diferent tech sites - Leaks as they say can be somewhat tallied together to form a Hypothesis.

From what I have gathered there doesn't seem to be any contradictions as to what ATI is building. To put it together the card will be 80nm, possibly 512 bit interface, a gig a onboard memory, matched shaders to G80, and more energy efficient.

The speculation prior to the G80 was very similar, and we all found most of the content to be fairly accurate... Keep hope Alive
January 14, 2007 9:45:50 PM

Quote:
is that the coolermaster cent 5?

Yes. The one with the mesh front. I love this case!
Nice. I got one too, great case. :) 
January 14, 2007 10:05:45 PM

Quote:

meh, I know that you are a smart person and trust your judgement, but seriously. Get two x1950xt's in crossfire for the same price as the gts and that will smoke the gts hands down. Then only problem is the dx9 capability, so my advice is to wait for the second revision of the gts to come out at only $300 and then decide

What are you talking about 2 x1900xt's could smoke an 8800?? I mean i love ATI too, but i can admit when a card is better then 2 of them lol
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2007 10:11:43 PM

Quote:

What are you talking about 2 x1900xt's could smoke an 8800?? I mean i love ATI too, but i can admit when a card is better then 2 of them lol

old news dude.

the 2 ati cards mentioned will sometimes, in certain benchies win.

but for double the price and double the heat, no.
not worth it.
January 14, 2007 10:33:48 PM

Lol ok i dont need 2 people to tell me that something posted yesterday is "Old News" :roll:
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2007 10:56:22 PM

Quote:
Lol ok i dont need 2 people to tell me that something posted yesterday is "Old News" :roll:

this is the computer/electronics world.

things go fast.
January 14, 2007 11:11:42 PM

Quote:
damn prozac. your post count just keeps going up doesn't it. over 9k posts, that's insane. I have the p180b, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Not really. :) 

I'm kind of in the Crashman stage, not posting often, too busy.

Most people go for cases that they like to look at. I like simple, good looking, tough cases.
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2007 11:16:24 PM

yeah the coolermaster cent 5 is a good solid case, for 50$
heavy sucker too.

its as heavy or more than my sonataII with psu. 8O
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2007 11:17:52 PM

Quote:
tell me about it. Am2 is released, almost only 2.5 months later, conroe is released and competely outdates am2. Conroe is released, very powerful, about 3 moths later, the qx6700 is released and completely outdates any previous processor. A very short time from now, the second revision of conroes are coming out, and I believe the first native quad core, everything up to date is completely outdated. For once I wish when I buy something high end like a motherboard, its still high-end for more than 3 months.

whats new tommorow is out of date today :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2007 11:23:07 PM

Quote:
yeah, its kinda sad how amd finally thought it would have a win with qfx, and its already outdated the moment its released, even before its released its outdated, which has got to be hard on a company when that happens

not hard on amd at all. intel has had the lead for only bearly a year now.

before that amd had it for around 3 years or so.

and thats the way it should be for us the consumer
and for both intel and amd.
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2007 12:07:17 AM

yeah dont compare a 10 sec. car to a 10.10 sec. car.

its just too close.
January 15, 2007 12:17:26 AM

Quote:
If you didn't hear... The Geforce 8 series beats the X1900 series across the board in image quality.
January 15, 2007 6:25:34 PM

as far as AMD getting hurt too much, I would say they would be just fine. Yes conroe spanks them, but companies can just shutdown some manufacturing or some needless managemen, and wait till they have a great product, next quarter or somthing even further along the line. also amd and ati are working togeather, right? they can probably do some crazy stuff togeather.

edit: btw I think fake quad core or unnatural or whatever are bad its lazy engineering for an infirior product, even if they are more powerfull. same with sli and crossfire, I think its lazy engineering.
!