Every thing is installed to c:\ program files(x86)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I'm trying to cut back on programs installed to my SSD boot drive. However, almost everything is installed there. Even if I download and install from my HHD storage drive. (Google Chrome, Picasa, Java, Steam etc.). Am I dong something wrong?

WIN 7 OS - Corsair 115GB SSD - WD 1TB HDD Storage

Thanks all

Solution
The magic of Junctions!

The following solution can be a bit mucky, but is should, indeed, work.

I'll explain the gist of it: What you're basically gonna do is use a "junction". A junction is a symbolic file link, meaning, you're gonna make something that looks like a folder on the C drive where Chrome normally should be installed, but it really points to an entirely different location -- in this case, your D drive.

Go to the Microsoft website "SysInternals", and download the "Junction" file on this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx. Junction is a command-line program used to make "junctions" in Windows. I'll show you how to use it.

After the .zip file is downloaded, extract "junction.exe" in to...

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

I know how to remove them. I want to know how to get them installed to the storage drive instead. Chrome, Google earth etc. all default to C:, and you can't change the drive? Any ideas?

Thanks

The magic of Junctions!

The following solution can be a bit mucky, but is should, indeed, work.

I'll explain the gist of it: What you're basically gonna do is use a "junction". A junction is a symbolic file link, meaning, you're gonna make something that looks like a folder on the C drive where Chrome normally should be installed, but it really points to an entirely different location -- in this case, your D drive.

Go to the Microsoft website "SysInternals", and download the "Junction" file on this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx. Junction is a command-line program used to make "junctions" in Windows. I'll show you how to use it.

After the .zip file is downloaded, extract "junction.exe" in to system32 (C:\Windows\System32). Do it! Don't let the word "system32" scare you :]

Once that is done, open up a console window by pressing the Windows Key + R, and then typing in "cmd.exe".

You should now see a black terminal awaiting your input. I will give you example of how to use it. I will map Chrome's installation/data directory to a location in the D drive. But first, an example of its usage:

junction.exe <name_of_file_or_folder> <the_location_you_want_to_point_to

I would type this in to the console, with quotation marks included. Also, keep in mind this is for my operating system, and username. Substitute yours as needed :

junction.exe "C:\Users\Bapa\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome" "D:\Data\temp\chrome"

This will effectively map the Chrome home directory to another location. Chrome will continue to function normally, but it won't know it's really on another drive.

Hell, you can even do this without uninstalling Chrome. Just close Chrome, and cut and paste the "Chrome" directory I mentioned anywhere you want on the D drive. Then use the Junction program to make a junction labeled "Chrome" that maps to where you just cut/pasted the Chrome directory.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.