Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ads that cover screen

Last response: in Site Feedback
Share
August 24, 2012 6:02:05 PM

I don't have adblockers on some of the machines I use at work so when I read articles I occasionally run into ads that expand to take up a large chunk of the screen. When I hit the X they reduce to normal banner size for a second, then go back to taking up the entire screen. I mention this for a few reasons:

1) It makes the site look bad/cheap. Nobody likes invasive advertising that they can't get rid of. Think of porn sites with their hundreds of popups.
2) It makes the advertiser seem irritating, and decreases my interest in their product. In fact, when ever I'm hit with this type of advertising I make it a point to try and avoid that retailer, regardless of who (the site or the product being advertised) is to blame.

Just my opinion.

More about : ads cover screen

August 30, 2012 5:48:45 AM

Install adblock on those machines?
August 30, 2012 12:21:18 PM

I never see the ads, i have a little secret that prevents me from seeing all ads, its on Amuffin's post.

Install it and say good bye to ads, its free and is easy to find.

I am not trying to advertise them but people never seem to google anything.
Related resources
September 1, 2012 5:21:23 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
I never see the ads, i have a little secret that prevents me from seeing all ads, its on Amuffin's post.

Install it and say good bye to ads, its free and is easy to find.

I am not trying to advertise them but people never seem to google anything.


On the contrary, amuffins post contains a link to an advertiser's site selling Lenovo computers. Not nice.
September 1, 2012 5:36:23 PM

?

Google adblock and your internet browser name ( adblock internet explorer) and it should come up, its an extension for your browser.
September 1, 2012 7:24:39 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
?

Google adblock and your internet browser name ( adblock internet explorer) and it should come up, its an extension for your browser.


I already added adblock to my Chrome, but I shouldn't have to use it. Tom's Hardware needs to hear that we the user's of this site don't like that type of advertising. Normal advertising is acceptable. Now I/we will see no advertising at all. I imagine the people running adds on Tom's Hardware will stop doing so at some point. That will hurt the site. Tom's Hardware would be better off if they listen to their users and restrict the type of advertising on their site.
September 2, 2012 2:14:05 AM

GaryManis said:
On the contrary, amuffins post contains a link to an advertiser's site selling Lenovo computers. Not nice.

They did that on people's hyperlinks to products.....it was annoying!!
September 2, 2012 6:35:58 AM

GaryManis said:
I already added adblock to my Chrome, but I shouldn't have to use it. Tom's Hardware needs to hear that we the user's of this site don't like that type of advertising. Normal advertising is acceptable. Now I/we will see no advertising at all.




How large a subscription are you prepared to pay to keep Tom's Hardware going? Wold you care to pay monthly or in one big donation. I'm sure Joe would be pleased to see some PayPal cash rolling into his account. :D 

I only see an advert if my mouse accidentally hovers over a double underscored word but at that stage, I've ignored the warning that the ad is there. Fortunately, some advertisers are dumb enough to pay towards the upkeep of our site even though a majority of users are sufficiently savvy to avoid them.


September 2, 2012 11:35:05 AM

amuffin said:
They did that on people's hyperlinks to products.....it was annoying!!


The advertising hyperlinks are automatically generated by client-side JavaScript based on the content of the page. "They" didn't do anything. Strictly speaking your browser did it :kaola: 
September 3, 2012 9:49:22 PM

If that's the case, why do only certain sites show these advertisements? Most sites I visit don't have them. The double-underscore links mentioned appear to be specific to this site. If it was my browser doing it, I should see these everywhere.

As for the really annoying advertisements, they are apparently sponsors of this site. The page source spells it out clearly. Cheers!
September 4, 2012 9:26:17 AM

You are only going to see them on sites which have the scripts to generate them. This happens to be one of those sites.
September 5, 2012 1:26:55 AM

randomizer said:
You are only going to see them on sites which have the scripts to generate them. This happens to be one of those sites.


So, strictly speaking, it's the site that is responsible for those advertisements and not my browser. My complaint stands.
September 5, 2012 8:00:33 AM

Well you either have ads or have to pay for Tom's HW.
September 5, 2012 12:07:25 PM

GaryManis said:
So, strictly speaking, it's the site that is responsible for those advertisements and not my browser. My complaint stands.


Strictly speaking we are both correct. ;) 
September 6, 2012 1:23:35 AM

randomizer said:
Strictly speaking we are both correct. ;) 

No, sorry. I'm correct. The site is hosting scripts, which the user's browser is intended to run automatically without the user's authorization or input. If the user was presented with the option to skip advertisements or opt out for showing advertisements then you would be correct. Requiring the user to have a third-party plugin installed to prevent your unauthorized and unwanted scripts from running is not the same. Cheers! :non: 
September 6, 2012 6:28:30 AM



So going back to my original point, just how would Sir wish to pay for an ad-free Tom's? Personally, I'm happy to put a few pounds in every so often to avoid ads completely as I do in a small site I host on Yuku.com but only if I can't tolerate the ones that are left when Ad-block has done its job.

In a site like Tom's where a lot of posters will come in, post a question, get an answer and never come back so theey're unlikely to bother. Regulars would find the burden of sharing the cost of going ad-free too much spread among too few.

Tom's is a magnet for advertisers. Let them pay for us to have the benefit. Block what you can and put up with the rest - there's no alternative.


September 6, 2012 6:34:19 AM

If you removed all unauthorised scripts, most of the websites you frequent would be completely non-functional. However, if don't want buttons to work and images to be placed correctly, by all means disable Javascript in your browser settings. You don't need addons to do that :) 
September 6, 2012 6:43:32 AM



I added No-Script into Firefox and couldn't access any of my three favourite radio stations - BBC.co.uk, ClassicFM.com and Radio1.nl so I binned it. It blocked the double underscore ad here in Tom's but I decided I could avoid hovering over those without too much trouble.


September 6, 2012 6:55:14 AM

NoScript is very good, but it requires a bit of effort to set it up for each site that you visit. Not much, but it's still a little annoying.
September 7, 2012 1:30:45 AM

Saga Lout said:


So going back to my original point, just how would Sir wish to pay for an ad-free Tom's? Personally, I'm happy to put a few pounds in every so often to avoid ads completely as I do in a small site I host on Yuku.com but only if I can't tolerate the ones that are left when Ad-block has done its job.

In a site like Tom's where a lot of posters will come in, post a question, get an answer and never come back so theey're unlikely to bother. Regulars would find the burden of sharing the cost of going ad-free too much spread among too few.

Tom's is a magnet for advertisers. Let them pay for us to have the benefit. Block what you can and put up with the rest - there's no alternative.


If you read my post again you will see that I don't have a problem with advertisements, only with certain types. I'm suggesting that this site limit the type of advertisement. I think you know that, though. I think you are trying to defend the site by confusing the issue. Bye.
September 7, 2012 1:37:01 AM

randomizer said:
If you removed all unauthorised scripts, most of the websites you frequent would be completely non-functional. However, if don't want buttons to work and images to be placed correctly, by all means disable Javascript in your browser settings. You don't need addons to do that :) 

You can't possibly be this stupid. I do not appreciate your efforts to trivialize the issue and defend the use of this type of advertising on this site. I'm a web developer. I know quite a bit about Javascript and website construction. Don't patronize me.

Tom's Hardware used to be a great site to get assistance with overclocking and other technical issues. I used to answer questions and help people with their technical issues on this site and others. That was about 12 years ago. It seems that the site has gone down hill quite a bit since then. I think I'm wasting my time here. Bye.
September 7, 2012 6:55:03 AM

GaryManis said:
I do not appreciate your efforts to trivialize the issue and defend the use of this type of advertising on this site.


I have not defended the advertising on this website, nor am I required to. I'm fairly advertising-averse, so I don't generally defend advertising anywhere. My posts have been completely factual. I don't want to waste your time any further though, so feel free to take the advice in this thread or do whatever else you see fit :) 
!