Sign in with
Your question

D-Link DWL G520 wireless installation problems

Last response: in Components
January 13, 2007 3:50:16 PM

Anyone have any experience with this card hanging the pc upon installation ?

I have 2 of these cards and neither one will work in a new computer. The pc hangs when it loads the AR5211.sys file upon driver installation. I have tried disabling the on-board LAN and deleting the wireless driver , reboot clean again with the card removed. The only time it will complete the installation is in WIN XP SAFE mode. It shows no conflicts (no exclamation nor question marks) in system hardware settings for Ethernet. When I exit from SAFE mode it will hang at startup. It will hang as well if I boot into SAFE mode with Networking. The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. The only way the pc will boot normally is to delete the driver or remove the card. I have gone to the D-Link web site and downloaded and installed the most recent driver version however they appear to be same as I already have on the supplied disks for both of my cards.
> One card is H/W version A4 with F/W 2.42 and my other card is H/W version A2 with F/W version 2.23 . I have not mixed up the software for these cards as the CDs are clearly labelled as are the cards and I have gone back and tested both in 2 other computers (one is an IBM Netvista with Intel Pentium M running Windows XP Pro, the other a Athlon 64 system with Asus K7M Slot A MB running Windows 2000) and I had no problems. I am loading the driver first as the D-Link recommends then installing the card after. I have tried them in the 2 other pci slots I have. D-Link says that it should work fine with this mobo. Besides disabling the on-board Giga Lan on XP SP2 desktop and in the BIOS, is there something else I need to do in Windows. I have tried driver update in device settings as well as the card's own setup file.

More about : link dwl g520 wireless installation problems

January 13, 2007 4:38:05 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with this card hanging the pc upon installation ?

I have 2 of these cards and neither one will work in a new computer. The pc hangs when it loads the AR5211.sys file upon driver installation. I have tried disabling the on-board LAN and deleting the wireless driver , reboot clean again with the card removed. The only time it will complete the installation is in WIN XP SAFE mode. It shows no conflicts (no exclamation nor question marks) in system hardware settings for Ethernet. When I exit from SAFE mode it will hang at startup. It will hang as well if I boot into SAFE mode with Networking. The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. The only way the pc will boot normally is to delete the driver or remove the card. I have gone to the D-Link web site and downloaded and installed the most recent driver version however they appear to be same as I already have on the supplied disks for both of my cards.
> One card is H/W version A4 with F/W 2.42 and my other card is H/W version A2 with F/W version 2.23 . I have not mixed up the software for these cards as the CDs are clearly labelled as are the cards and I have gone back and tested both in 2 other computers (one is an IBM Netvista with Intel Pentium M running Windows XP Pro, the other a Athlon 64 system with Asus K7M Slot A MB running Windows 2000) and I had no problems. I am loading the driver first as the D-Link recommends then installing the card after. I have tried them in the 2 other pci slots I have. D-Link says that it should work fine with this mobo. Besides disabling the on-board Giga Lan on XP SP2 desktop and in the BIOS, is there something else I need to do in Windows. I have tried driver update in device settings as well as the card's own setup file.

by any chance.. do you have the SYGATE firewall?
January 13, 2007 4:40:23 PM

There's a G510 on my desk since it won't work in any computer I've tried it in so I'm instead using a much older DLink since it at least works. Maybe the G500's have issues?

Jo
Related resources
February 16, 2007 3:00:23 AM

I am having the same problem with the 965P-S3 mobo. I have updated the BIOS, installed the latest mobo drivers, nothing seems to help. I ended up getting a USB wireless adapter until I can find out how to get that one up and running. I would just stay with the USB adapter, but for some reason, windows keeps killing it after a few days of run time. I have to unplug it, reboot windows and then re plug it in again. It is getting on my nerves as it will cut out in a game. That is beside the point, I guess. I just would like to know what can be done about getting this card to work. BTW, I have the "B2" version of the G520.
January 22, 2010 9:05:34 PM

I have had the same with my Acer m5640 . It kept freezing with fresh installs of vista and windows 7. I thought I had memory issues or a bad hard drive or even a bad mother board. Once I figured it was the DWL-G520 version b wireless card and pulled it, removing all related software, I've had no problems. Now I just have to get a different card and I'm set. Thanks for all this info guys.
!