Old Prescott Help, Please!

Vecia

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I am new here so please bare with me...

I have an Abit IS7-E with a P4 3.0E Prescott. Here is my delima...Maybe not processor related but I have noticed alot of smart people here and this is my last try.

I built this system as my first over 3 years agao and it has ran like a champ until now. I recently purchased a ASUS N6800 512 DDR2 graphics card and installed it. I started having some strange problems. The card was upgarded from a ATI 9200SE 128 DDR. Anyway, before hand I could run Oblivion: Elder Scrolls IV fairly well (Not with all the eye candy but good enough for me) even after the graphics upgrade.

Then I purchased Neverwinter Nights 2... It wouldn't run over 1.6 Frames a Second (using Frapps) "Okay" I said figuring it was just too new of a game and my now aging computer couldn't handle it. So, I uninstalled the game and tried to go back to Oblivion...It wouldn't run or hardly at all.

Next I uninstalled my N6800 and went back to my 9200 thinking it might be the graphics card...(By the way, I have a Gig and a half of memory). The Game still would not run.

After reading a few forums, I tried everything from tuning my card to reseating components and my computer still runs worse than my old Dell Optiplex GX 110 (P3 400Mhz)

Finally here a few moments ago, I ran the Intel Processor Identification Utility. It states two operating stats: One is what is expected and one is reported. Expected was 3.0 GHZ and FSB of 800MHZ/ Reported was: .63 GHZ and 200MHZ FSB. Obviously this is not right. Even the Intel notation at the bottom states if there is a large difference then there is a problem (i.e. Contact your doctor imedietly)

I went into the BIOS and SoftMenue reports operating Frequency at 3000MHZ and FSB is set to 200\66\33. Everything looks normal although my temperature is out of control at 199 degrees.

Something is wrong. I don't have a lot of money to upgrade to a newer system but I could probobly fork over enough to buy a new P4 Processor if that is the issue.

Can someone please direct me? I will try anything to get this machine back to normal.