Domain user in local administrator group

If I put the domain user into their xp local administrator group, will
the gpo able to overwrite the local administrator rights?

I have users with scanner attach to their pc. I was told only power
user and higher local groups can run the scanner without any problem.
I want the user to use the scanner but still apply our gpo (like no
add/remove program; access registry etc.) All user accounts are
domain account.

Please help!!
2 answers Last reply
More about domain user local administrator group

    Hi,

    The GPO will only override the user's membership if there is a restricted
    group defined for local admins. If this is the case, add the user to the
    restricted group in the GPO.

    Brian Desmond
    Windows Server MVP
    desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

    Http://www.briandesmond.com

    "oscarmok" <oscarmok@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If I put the domain user into their xp local administrator group, will
    > the gpo able to overwrite the local administrator rights?
    >
    > I have users with scanner attach to their pc. I was told only power
    > user and higher local groups can run the scanner without any problem.
    > I want the user to use the scanner but still apply our gpo (like no
    > add/remove program; access registry etc.) All user accounts are
    > domain account.
    >
    > Please help!!

    All will be all right. Althoug they will be Local Administrators all the
    restrictions still will be apply to them. The other hand is that they will
    be able to do lots of restricted actions using other methods (command prompt
    tools and so on).

    You wrote that it will be enough to make them Power Users only? It's the
    best decision, I think... You can not select Power Users group when you edit
    Restricted Group in GPO, but you can just type "Power Users" there...

    "oscarmok" <oscarmok@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If I put the domain user into their xp local administrator group, will
    > the gpo able to overwrite the local administrator rights?
    >
    > I have users with scanner attach to their pc. I was told only power
    > user and higher local groups can run the scanner without any problem.
    > I want the user to use the scanner but still apply our gpo (like no
    > add/remove program; access registry etc.) All user accounts are
    > domain account.
    >
    > Please help!!

Domain Scanners Windows