GPO take a day before it applies

Our AD is Win2K3. Looking at event logs in all DC/GCs I see no error.
However when I create a GPO and link it and even do a GPUPDATE the GP is not
applied but if I wait a day it will. Does anyone have any idea why?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about applies

    David,

    My guess is that you have a convergence problem? This would be about the
    only way this would happen. How many DCs and sites do you have?

    --
    Derek Melber
    BrainCore.Net
    "David Mah" <david@m2web.com> wrote in message
    > Our AD is Win2K3. Looking at event logs in all DC/GCs I see no error.
    > However when I create a GPO and link it and even do a GPUPDATE the GP is
    not
    > applied but if I wait a day it will. Does anyone have any idea why?
    >
    > Thanks

    It's quite strange. GP always apply every 1,5 hours. And if you use GPUPDATE
    then immediately. And when a computer restarts...

    Check Application Log on your clients. There must be event 1704 (source
    SceCli) every time when GP applies.

    And check GPO -> User (and Computer!) Configurations -> Administrative
    Templates -> System -> Group Policy. There are some options that can slow
    down applying of GP. May be you'll find somethibg there.

    Best regards!

    "David Mah" <david@m2web.com> wrote in message
    > Our AD is Win2K3. Looking at event logs in all DC/GCs I see no error.
    > However when I create a GPO and link it and even do a GPUPDATE the GP is
    not
    > applied but if I wait a day it will. Does anyone have any idea why?
    >
    > Thanks

    The problem was where it was being applied. My Co-Admin had created a sub-OU
    and was always applying GPOs to that sub_OU but the parent OU had settings
    which prevented the sub-OUs GPO. I had not checked that because of my
    negligence on finding exactly where it was being applied and how.

    Thanks for all replies.

    "Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message
    > David,
    >
    > My guess is that you have a convergence problem? This would be about the
    > only way this would happen. How many DCs and sites do you have?
    >
    > --
    > Derek Melber
    > BrainCore.Net
    > derekm@braincore.net
    > "David Mah" <david@m2web.com> wrote in message
    > > Our AD is Win2K3. Looking at event logs in all DC/GCs I see no error.
    > > However when I create a GPO and link it and even do a GPUPDATE the GP is
    > not
    > > applied but if I wait a day it will. Does anyone have any idea why?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    David,

    Thanks for the info!

    However, if the GPO above restricted it from even applying, how did it apply
    a day later then?

    --
    > The problem was where it was being applied. My Co-Admin had created a
    sub-OU
    > and was always applying GPOs to that sub_OU but the parent OU had settings
    > which prevented the sub-OUs GPO. I had not checked that because of my
    > negligence on finding exactly where it was being applied and how.
    >
    > Thanks for all replies.
    >

    > "Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message
    > > David,
    > >
    > > My guess is that you have a convergence problem? This would be about the
    > > only way this would happen. How many DCs and sites do you have?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Derek Melber
    > > BrainCore.Net
    > > derekm@braincore.net
    > > "David Mah" <david@m2web.com> wrote in message
    > > > Our AD is Win2K3. Looking at event logs in all DC/GCs I see no error.
    > > > However when I create a GPO and link it and even do a GPUPDATE the GP
    is
    > > not
    > > > applied but if I wait a day it will. Does anyone have any idea why?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

Policy Microsoft Windows