GPO take a day before it applies

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 21, 2004 7:47:47 PM

Our AD is Win2K3. Looking at event logs in all DC/GCs I see no error.
However when I create a GPO and link it and even do a GPUPDATE the GP is not
applied but if I wait a day it will. Does anyone have any idea why?

Thanks

More about : gpo day applies

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 12:09:27 PM

David,

My guess is that you have a convergence problem? This would be about the
only way this would happen. How many DCs and sites do you have?

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"David Mah" <david@m2web.com> wrote in message
> Our AD is Win2K3. Looking at event logs in all DC/GCs I see no error.
> However when I create a GPO and link it and even do a GPUPDATE the GP is
not
> applied but if I wait a day it will. Does anyone have any idea why?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 1:50:08 PM

It's quite strange. GP always apply every 1,5 hours. And if you use GPUPDATE
then immediately. And when a computer restarts...

Check Application Log on your clients. There must be event 1704 (source
SceCli) every time when GP applies.

And check GPO -> User (and Computer!) Configurations -> Administrative
Templates -> System -> Group Policy. There are some options that can slow
down applying of GP. May be you'll find somethibg there.

Best regards!

"David Mah" <david@m2web.com> wrote in message
> Our AD is Win2K3. Looking at event logs in all DC/GCs I see no error.
> However when I create a GPO and link it and even do a GPUPDATE the GP is
not
> applied but if I wait a day it will. Does anyone have any idea why?
>
> Thanks

April 22, 2004 5:47:29 PM

The problem was where it was being applied. My Co-Admin had created a sub-OU
and was always applying GPOs to that sub_OU but the parent OU had settings
which prevented the sub-OUs GPO. I had not checked that because of my
negligence on finding exactly where it was being applied and how.

Thanks for all replies.

"Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message
> David,
>
> My guess is that you have a convergence problem? This would be about the
> only way this would happen. How many DCs and sites do you have?
>
> --
> Derek Melber
> BrainCore.Net
> derekm@braincore.net
> "David Mah" <david@m2web.com> wrote in message
> > Our AD is Win2K3. Looking at event logs in all DC/GCs I see no error.
> > However when I create a GPO and link it and even do a GPUPDATE the GP is
> not
> > applied but if I wait a day it will. Does anyone have any idea why?
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 6:44:10 PM

David,

Thanks for the info!

However, if the GPO above restricted it from even applying, how did it apply
a day later then?

--
news:o KLgIsKKEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

!