Laptop graphics cards

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Laptops
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
January 13, 2007 5:25:01 PM

I'm doing some research before buying a laptop computer and there's one thing I can't seem to find a lot of info on: the graphics cards. Computer will be used to replace my venerable desktop (an elderly PII/450 with Matrox G200 gfx, seems like almost antique these days but it still serves me well).

I'll use my computer for office applications, email, surfing, IM, programming and a casual game now and then(*). I'm looking for a graphics card that should be at least on par with my wifes ATI X800PRO (256MB).

(*) HL2 (and even the original HL now and then), GTA-SA, Oblivion would be nice but not a must-have

Easily available options are:
* integrated graphics (Intel GMA950)
* ATI X1400 mobility
* ATI X1600 mobility
* ATI X1800 mobility
* nVidia GeForce 7600 Go
* nVidia GeForce 7900 GS Go may be an option if someone could suggest a budget friendly laptop that uses it and is available in Europe

Comments please ?

More about : laptop graphics cards

January 13, 2007 6:06:06 PM

I would go for the X1800 Mobility. I have the X1600 Mobility in my laptop and the thing runs everything that I through at it, so im sure that it would be very close to par if not better than you X800Pro.

Best,

3Ball
January 13, 2007 6:42:24 PM

I don't remember where, but I saw an article saying that the GeForce 7900 GS outperforms the ATI X1800s. Then I also read somewhere else that ATI will be releasing their ATI X1900s for laptops, but I don't see why. Around summer time, nVidia will be releasing DX 10 graphics cards for laptops which will be great since they'll mostly have Windows Vista on them by then.

If you can, wait it out. I just sold my laptop to my parents and am impatiently waiting for DX 10 cards to come to laptops.
Related resources
January 13, 2007 7:24:54 PM

if you want to do any real gaming stay away from the integrated graphics from intel (gma 950 ).i have that in my laptop and its only realy good for older games and kid's games (101 dalmations ).i mainly got this for the wife to surf the net and to keep her from using my primary rig so i can do my thing(gaming, videos etc).laptop has 1.66 core duo cpu and 2 gigs memory with gma 950,i wanted to get a graphics card in it but when i ordered it they didnt offer 1
January 13, 2007 8:06:59 PM

If my memory is correct, asus is launching an outside gpu box for laptops. I have no more details. Perhaps one of our fellow forum members can further enlighten us.
January 13, 2007 11:58:09 PM

I would not suggest any of ATI's graphics solutions at this time. Unless there is a significant price savings, the Nvidia cards are somewhat better. In the middle price range (X1600/7600), there is very little difference. However, at the high end the 7900 is vastly superior. The X1800 was made to compete with Nvidia's 7800, a now obsolete chip. When Nvidia made the 7900 they actually lowered power consumption, thus increasing battery life.

I have a Dell XPS M1710 that has a 7900 Gs, and it will run any game that is out today. Oblivion will run (almost) all the way up. Its a great computer, albeit a little heavy. Its not budget friendly, although through an academic discount, it was about 35% off.

If the 7900 is too expensive, I highly suggest the 7600, which would also run Oblivion at a playable frame rate.

Best of Luck
January 14, 2007 3:42:56 AM

for what's available to you RIGHT NOW, mobility x1800 is your best bet.
January 14, 2007 4:04:21 AM

Quote:
If my memory is correct, asus is launching an outside gpu box for laptops. I have no more details. Perhaps one of our fellow forum members can further enlighten us.

how many gigs you have?! :p  if your right then i guess 2 :p 
January 14, 2007 5:08:05 AM

For a ATI cards look Here.

For a Nvidia Cards look here

I also happen to be in the market for a notebook. I am looking into a ASUS F3JP (best for my budget... in Australia). It looks fairly good, the mobility x1700 as i understand is just a die shrink of the x1600 variant, so it would help the battery life a bit. However you could also try over clocking it to the desktop versions of these cards, as it uses strained silicon (think that means it can operate 35% more effecently, see the wiki site here)

remember, if you are planning on using a 64bit os, you can't get a core duo/solo proc.

Also all new laptops should be coming with a vista express upgrade option, so you'd wanna make sure you where getting at lest 1 gig with it (if you want to move to vista when it comes out).

bLAKE
January 14, 2007 5:43:46 AM

Quote:

That was for display on another monitor though, not back to the notebook screen.
January 14, 2007 6:51:47 AM

Yeah, ASUS is releasing a product like that: the "XG Station"

As Abyss said it is for use on a external screen and sound system (has 5.1 capabilities). It arrives with a 7900GS inside and a price is yet to be decided, however it should have a price tag soon as it is due for a Q 2 release this year.

My guess for price is in the AUD300-400 area, or around 200 USD.

bLAKE
January 14, 2007 9:08:51 AM

Here, is another good site for laptop gfx cards - as long as you don't mind the german.

bLAKE
Anonymous
January 14, 2007 9:36:24 AM

Quote:
I don't remember where, but I saw an article saying that the GeForce 7900 GS outperforms the ATI X1800s. Then I also read somewhere else that ATI will be releasing their ATI X1900s for laptops, but I don't see why. Around summer time, nVidia will be releasing DX 10 graphics cards for laptops which will be great since they'll mostly have Windows Vista on them by then.

If you can, wait it out. I just sold my laptop to my parents and am impatiently waiting for DX 10 cards to come to laptops.

He said budget, not the latest and greatest.
January 15, 2007 3:51:35 AM

that's why the x1700 is a good bet, only marginaly more, but it can be overclocked, but if you don't want to do this or have the option of doing this, got with the 7600 or the x1600.
January 15, 2007 5:31:39 AM

Quote:

That was for display on another monitor though, not back to the notebook screen.

Is this correct?
January 15, 2007 5:35:19 AM

yes, as far as we can tell. Well have a better answer in a few weeks.
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2007 4:45:12 PM

Quote:
I don't remember where, but I saw an article saying that the GeForce 7900 GS outperforms the ATI X1800s.

Maybe at nVNews? I'd love to see that review.
For the games he mentioned the X1800 would be best of the selection he provided.

Something to consider depending on if he can find one is the GF7700 which has great performance and good battery useage, and is noticeably faster than the X1700.

Quote:
I also read somewhere else that ATI will be releasing their ATI X1900s for laptops, but I don't see why.

Well it's actually been out for a while already, but it's a question of suppliers selling them in some recent systems, like the Alienware. Just like nV's refresh of the GF7950 line for laptops, seems unnecessary, but people will buy if it's available, especially if the replacement isn't here for 4-6months. Also the GF8 and R6 series laptops will be slow in coming in vollume, and even the mid-range likely won't be cheap initially (expect there to also be a sell-off of the last generation too).

Quote:
He said budget, not the latest and greatest.

Yeah but then again he did include the X1800 and GF7900GS both of which are the top of some lines, and if a big vendor like DELL, then often a cheaper/better solution can be had from a smaller builder.

I think it's the worst time to buy a laptop (similar to last spring) as there's some new cores coming out, new HDs, new Graphics, and Vista Mobile is still an unknown quantity for the most part. Waiting for SantaRosa, Hybrid Drives, DX10 cards, and Vista Launch makes alot of sense IMO.
January 15, 2007 6:50:51 PM

To buy or not to buy. Is the ole aforementioned question. It is easy one for me. No Money. You use what you have untill you have money to buy a newer Laptop.
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2007 7:51:40 PM

Yes, thankfully the temptation of Boxing Day sales were out of reach while I was out of country. I might otherwise have been tempted to buy a new one.

A Friend at BestBuy/FutureShop in Canada said he'd order it directly from HP or Gateway if I know what I want, that way I can get it fitted with what I want not the normal kit. Win-win.

At least now I don't have as much temptation, but come February when all the launching is going on that'swhen I'll have to be strong and resist the temptation to jump at the first slightly good option.
January 15, 2007 8:26:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, thankfully the temptation of Boxing

Welcome back :wink:
January 17, 2007 7:36:18 PM

Stay the corse. Yoy want to wait till all the bugs are fixed in Vista and 10X. So 6 to 9 months from now who the heck knows whats going to be out. I know Seagate has a new 15,000 HD 2.5. Now if they can fit one in a Lappy. That does not throw out to much heat to fry egggs on. But at only 72 gigs for now. We need more HD space. I Tera. or more.
Anonymous
January 17, 2007 8:23:06 PM

Quote:
Stay the coarse. You want to wait till all the bugs are fixed in Vista and 10X. So 6 to 9 months from now who the heck knows whats going to be out. I know Seagate has a new 15,000 HD 2.5. Now if they can fit one in a Lappy. That does not throw out to much heat to fry eggs on. But at only 72 gigs for now. We need more HD space. I Tera. or more.

Seriously you don't need a whole lot of space on a laptop since external storage is so mainstream and affordable now roughly 80G+ is plenty on a laptop.
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2007 9:40:59 PM

I think he was talking extemporaneously about it being 'NICE', who wants external if you don't have to? I have 3 external drives for my laptop, yet I'd prefer if they all fit nicely, efficently and cooly into my laptop, so that when I travel I'd have everything with me.

It's a nice dream, but of coure after 100GB it's about balance. Sure I want more but not a 20 times the price.
January 18, 2007 6:31:46 PM

More is better but not with the big price tag. Me I don't want external HDs for my lappy. If I did I would put the inside my main rig.
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2007 7:32:57 PM

Exactly.

I use external because I have 2 left over from my editing rig anyways, and then adding a networked one for my old HDD just made sense.

I really like the network drive and if wirless access were cheap and plentifu I wouldn't care the size of my local drive beyond the basic 80-120GB because I could host all the stuff I might ever need on the road.
Anonymous
January 26, 2007 5:33:13 PM

Quote:
...yet I'd prefer if they all fit nicely, efficently and cooly into my laptop, so that when I travel I'd have everything with me.

It's a nice dream...

Hahaha I totally agree, I would love to have 1TB in my lappy but in the near future I am thinking 80-120GB is still going to be the norm. mainly due to the obvious heat issues.

I was just stating that most people can take with them what they really need to on an 80-120GB laptop HD. An external NAS is great especially for people have have a Laptop and a PC or more.
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2007 9:53:12 PM

Yep, the biggest 'efficient' laptop drive I've seen sofar is the 160GB ones.

As for NAS, yeah I love it, and I may make them all NAS soon enough when I finally swap out my SMC for the D-link XtremeN I got. It support USB based external HDs I'll be able to add al of them to it, and I might even be able to add on of my external LG-Burners which would be cool.

Still prefer firewire, but until I get FireWire800 the difference will be minor, and the flexabilty will be more important than anything.

My dad got my sister a new MyBook from WD and it's sweet, although the st00pid thing is silver/white if you want F800 support! Perfect for MAc users like her, but not for sleek PCs! :roll:

Although of course it's not really about the looks, but I'd prefer black if it were an option, just doesn't show wear as much.
January 28, 2007 2:13:39 PM

external gfx cards the asus xg station lets u either display on moniter or notebook screen, and its jus a cse as well u put any pcie card in it, persoanlly i am waiting on this, so i wont hav to buy a desktop for gaming with my laptop, some ppl compalin that u cant take it on the road with u, well i dont expect to be gaming much when i was out anyways, but i guess u can stil buy a laptop with decent gfx integrated
February 15, 2007 2:37:03 AM

I have the X1400 and it is horrible. It barely runs art of war and the cinematic scenes are not viewable. What other card is this compared to? 7300gs or 9700 pro? My old notebook had the 9600 ati and I don't notice any performance gains with the X1400.

This is the best graphic card offed for this dell E1505. The reason i bought this laptop was because Slick deals had a special 30% code and thought this T7400cpu will be able to push these type of games but I was wrong :( 
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2007 5:01:29 AM

Quote:
I have the X1400 and it is horrible. It barely runs art of war and the cinematic scenes are not viewable. What other card is this compared to? 7300gs or 9700 pro? My old notebook had the 9600 ati and I don't notice any performance gains with the X1400.

Well they're all pretty close to the same. Remember the MR9700 is just an OC'ed MR9600, so little difference from you old card, same with the GF7300GS, and the X1400 isn't much more powerful either and may have prompted your games to enable feature automatically that before weren't enabled thus destroying any benefit you might have seen.

Quote:
This is the best graphic card offed for this dell E1505. The reason i bought this laptop was because Slick deals had a special 30% code and thought this T7400cpu will be able to push these type of games but I was wrong :( 

Ah DELL, seems attractive until you own one. I had the similar model prior to it (the 5150 was essetnially replaced by the 1505), and unless the game is CPU heavy you won't see much difference between a previous PM 1.73ghz like mine and you 2.16 ghz Merom.
I thought the P42.8ghzHT would help makeup for the FX5200 in games but it didn't. However I did like it's abilities with multimedia editing tasks.
So if the main rle of your computer is gaming you'll wanna look for an Mobility X1600, GFGO7600 or GFGO7700 at least. However they are supposed to launch the GGO8x series soon;
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/200702132259...

So I'd wait for them if I were you, or at least for them to push down the other solutions like the GF7900GS.
February 15, 2007 8:06:23 PM

I like the 7900gs that dell offers but wish they offer to all of their computers instead of their larger tank models.

It'll be nice if we can build laptop like we do with desktops.
February 16, 2007 9:38:28 AM

FYI, DELL = 5hit (not swearing i used a 5 instead of a s, aren't i clever?).

Here in Australia anyway. had a look for a uni laptop (plan on doing sum gaming during the lectures :p ), and if i wanted a lappy with any decent performance i'd have to spend around 2500, while i could goto the local internet store and buy a ASUS F3jp that comes with a x1700 (as opposed to a x1600). Plus with this model in a year or 2 (or when ever they stop producing the T7x00) i can drop in another chip, giving me a boost in performance.

Having never purchased a dell, i am blissfully unaware if you can do the same for a dell. The option for the 7900 and a 2gb stick of ram (max of 4), IMO is not worth the 500+ that you'll spend on the machine.

all i had to do is put up with the month it takes for the F3 to arrive from Malaysia :| *sigh*

bLAKE
February 16, 2007 11:32:34 AM

Just my 2 cents because my room mate has one....

My friend has an Inspiron 9400 with a 7900GS. The thing rocks, it's a beautiful machine. Displays all his games at max everything (WoW, CS Source)

My other friend also has one in his XPS 410 and he loves it as well.
February 16, 2007 11:40:28 AM

If you want to play Oblivion, scratch that X1400 from your list... I have that one and it does great with WoW, but that's about it. I'm happy I have it over the Intel, but I wish I'd have gotten a laptop with the 7900GS.
February 16, 2007 12:11:13 PM

The ASUS external card and housing sounds like a great idea but be aware that most laptops today with the expansion card slot only support PCI X1.
February 19, 2007 2:38:09 PM

Toshiba Satellite can be customized with 1gb ram Geforce go 7600 for under $900 dollars.--I used notebookcheck.net to check what cards could be used for gaming and on their score it is number 2...number 1 being the best.(also notebookcheck can be changed to english language if you get on the german page). It is the cheapest gaming laptop I could find right now. Dell comes in second with that x1400 gfx card...but according to your posts I wouldn't touch that. http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?seg=HHO...