Best way to update Bios

Zoom77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
My Asus P5B-E has several ways for updating the Bios. (from a windows application, with EX Flash, from DOS, using internet etc)

Which method do you use?

Also, is the last BIOS the best, or should I get another one?

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
My Asus P5B-E has several ways for updating the Bios. (from a windows application, with EX Flash, from DOS, using internet etc)

Which method do you use?

I use DOS with afudos.exe and sometimes when i lazy use asus update.

It usualy is better then previous one.

pat

Expert

Which method do you use?

If you don't have issues, then don't upgrade. BIOS update are mostly for correcting compatibility problem, so, if you don't have problem, an update can create some.

so which one is the best? The one that work good.

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I used ASUS update which downloaded the the latest bios for my p5ld2 and loaded the new bios from windows then asked me to reboot for the new bios to activate, total time 10 minutes from start to finish including resetting the bios settings.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Its best to do it from dos, not windows.

Windows is an extra (big) layer to go wrong. Widows does crash/lock-up occasionally, and if it does it during a bios update it can screw your PC forever by leaving the bios half-written so making your pc unbootable.

Zoom77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I used the windows updater because it was the easiest and until that point nobody told me not to :oops:

But I had to download the file manually, since they automatic one didn't work.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Best way is via DOS.

But since now DOS is kinda old-school :) I like to do it via EZ-Flash.

Yeah I agree, I sorta grouped dos flash and EZ-flash as the same thing really as using either mean you avoid windows. Ez flash just means you avoid booting dos too :)
Anyway, I guess not everyone has EZ-flash, isn't it only on Asus boards?

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
You can also update from within the bios - alt something or other (look in the manual) to avoid even booting into DOS.

However, folks say that if you do it from the Asus BIOS utility, it does not zero out the BIOS RAM, it just writes over it. I have done it both ways, and from the BIOS the progress bar shows a darker color that just gets overwritten. When I have done it by booting from a USB key, the DOS proggy shows an empty line that fills up. Who knows for sure?

I now stick with the prevailing wisdom - do it from DOS. I have seen BIOSes do funny things, lock up, and act strangely from time to time, but DOS is always smooth as silk.

Really don't do it from Windows. A hard drive burp, your anti-virus deciding to do a scan, a sudden glitch from the onboard sound, anything could screw it up. Why take the chance? In DOS, only a loss of power or floppy/USB failure could screw things up.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
some deluxe asus boards comes with an automatic bios updater, just toss the programs you get fromthe website, into a CD,
then insert the cd , boot from the cd and the rest is automatic.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh, a lot of companies have the ability to update BIOS from a BIOS menu, but I don't think they support "all" media formats. Most "probably" rely on floppy or CD. Yet all current boards support booting from a USB "flash disk" so I can still use my bootable thumb drive.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Use DOS (bootable floopy) it is the safest, and it give you a option to save your current BIOS incase you need to back up. I have had several mb fail using the windows updater. Make sure you are on a UPS unit, the last thing you need is a power failure during the middle.

I had that happen to several friends. I have a programmer for recovering from crashes. :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, DOS bootable USB Thumb Drive is better, because floppies die much too easily.

I've had new floppies die on the FIRST WRITE. Remember that all "new" floppy disks are actually New Old Stock, they've been shelved for many years and have a limitted shelf life.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Yeh, a lot of companies have the ability to update BIOS from a BIOS menu, but I don't think they support "all" media formats. Most "probably" rely on floppy or CD. Yet all current boards support booting from a USB "flash disk" so I can still use my bootable thumb drive.

Exactly, most new boards support Removable devide booting which means it should be able to boot from the USB drive.

Crashman, that is not a worry, I dont think that when people get floppy drives, they use them for more than a month :p

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of BIOS is now written to treat a flash drive as a hard disk, so rather than selecting "USB removable device" as first boot, you have to select "hard disk drive" and then go to the "hard drive boot order" menu to select the USB thumbdrive.

That requires plugging in the USB thumbdrive before you boot.

Also, most boards have some USB connectors that are bootable and some that are not. The reason is probably that some are direct ports and others are on the chipset's internal hub.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Also, most boards have some USB connectors that are bootable and some that are not. The reason is probably that some are direct ports and others are on the chipset's internal hub.

Might it happen that some direct ports are not bootables?

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
The best method is to boot to a flash thumbdrive or FAT16/32 HDD, or at worst a CD as floppy is a less reliable media. I mean boot dos and use the bios manufacturer's flasher, or in asus case if that flasher won't work use the asus flasher.

Using internet is worst, from windows 2nd worst, but to me in windows is a close contest with flashing from floppy. I always use a USB thumbdrive on any system that can boot it, and my 2nd choice is really not a HDD but a Compact Flash card I've loaded with utils for legacy systems that uses a CF-IDE adapter, but most people don't have the CF-IDE adapter I suppose so if you don't wanna pick one up on ebay for $4, HDD is next choice if FAT(nn).

folkesson

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
if you do it from DOS, make sure you use a new diskette. They can go bad easily and leave you replacing a Bios chip in your motherboard eventually.

Hey! It's great that all you guys know about BIOS updates. since my last try kind of made my day a piece of cr*p.
Here's my problem: When I last updated my bios I used WinFlash, and erased my previously bios, but it didn't load the new one, so in fact, I have no bios at all on my CPU. So i can't use it at all. And now I will have to use a 3.5 disc to update but I don't know how. I have downloaded the bios file (p4xfcua05.bin) to my fathers cpu. And note that I can't use my keyboard. Can anyone write a command that will upload my new BIOS automaticly without any need to use keyboard or nothing.
I have the latest Win xp pro. and upgrades. email me at john.folkesson@hotmail.com

Ps. I've been looking for a way to solve this problem for about two days now.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could do a "hot flash" but I'm not going to tell anyone without years of experience and oversized cahones how to do that. My suggestion is to search the net for a company that offers pre-flashed replacement BIOS chips.

Replacing the BIOS chip requires your motherboard has a removable (socketed) BIOS chip, and you now have enough information to do your search.