Opteron Question

I feel sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it so...
How come Opterons have 1000HMz HyperTransport while Athlons have 2000MHz? I was under the impression that they were the same chip, aside from the fact that Opterons are subject to more stringent quality checks?
2 answers Last reply
More about opteron question
  1. Quote:
    How come Opterons have 1000HMz HyperTransport while Athlons have 2000MHz? I was under the impression that they were the same chip, aside from the fact that Opterons are subject to more stringent quality checks?

You are simply seeing two different ways of quoting the same spec. HT is bidirection full duplex, since send and recieve can occur concurrently, some spec sheets list the HT speed as 2000 MHz, but in actuality it is running at 1000 MHz with an effective 2000 MT/sec. It is misleading at times.

The truth is they are both running at the same speed.

Jack
    Thanks a lot. :)
    I wonder why they put it like that... are they intentionally trying to make the Opterons seem slower or something?
  2. Quote:

You are simply seeing two different ways of quoting the same spec. HT is bidirection full duplex, since send and recieve can occur concurrently, some spec sheets list the HT speed as 2000 MHz, but in actuality it is running at 1000 MHz with an effective 2000 MT/sec. It is misleading at times.

The truth is they are both running at the same speed.

Jack
    Thanks a lot. :)
    I wonder why they put it like that... are they intentionally trying to make the Opterons seem slower or something?
    more like fooling customers like the label systems of all new cpus,
    with weird numerical codes.

but in the entusiast or server market, you have to deliver correct information :o
    and cause opterons were targeted to that market... ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Chip Opteron