How to supply Office 2000 Product Key through GPO

Hi
I'm using Windows 2000 GPO to deploy Office 2000 to all
clients in my domain. Office 2000 is ASSIGNED to computers
of our domain. The installation goes OK when the client
boots up and contacts the DC. Users can see all Office
2000 shorcuts/components on their clients.

I have the PRODUCT KEY for Office 2000 written on the back
of the original installation CD-ROM. Before deploying
Office 2000 using GPO, a technician used to go personally
to each client/user and install the product classically
through the setup process...etc during which the
technician is asked to insert the product key.

Now that Office 2000 is deployed through GPO, and
installed perfectly on each machine, Office prompts me to
insert the product key just as soon as I open for the
first time any Office 2000 document/application.

Question:
Is there a way to insert the Product Key automatically in
the GPO or a configuration file, so that users won't get
prompted to insert this key?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about supply office 2000 product

    "Ihab Abedrabbo" <ihab17@hotmail.com> said

    > Question:
    > Is there a way to insert the Product Key automatically in
    > the GPO or a configuration file, so that users won't get
    > prompted to insert this key?

    If you use the Custom Installation Wizard in the Office Resource Kit to make
    a tranform (.mst) file, it gives you the option to enter your product key
    there. Then you just provide the path to the .mst file within the GPO and
    away you go......

    Andy.

    Indeed there is, I have used to to roll out Outlook 2003 using GPO.

    The command is:

    msiexec /a [msi file] PIDKEY="[CD key]

    So for example....

    msiexec /a d:\outlook\outlook.msi PIDKEY="YOUR KEY WITH NO SPACES OR DASHES"

    You will be asked where you weant to install it, it wont actaully install
    out but create a new set of insatll files that you would then use to deploy
    via GPO.

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks,

    PC.

    "Ihab Abedrabbo" <ihab17@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Hi
    > I'm using Windows 2000 GPO to deploy Office 2000 to all
    > clients in my domain. Office 2000 is ASSIGNED to computers
    > of our domain. The installation goes OK when the client
    > boots up and contacts the DC. Users can see all Office
    > 2000 shorcuts/components on their clients.
    >
    > I have the PRODUCT KEY for Office 2000 written on the back
    > of the original installation CD-ROM. Before deploying
    > Office 2000 using GPO, a technician used to go personally
    > to each client/user and install the product classically
    > through the setup process...etc during which the
    > technician is asked to insert the product key.
    >
    > Now that Office 2000 is deployed through GPO, and
    > installed perfectly on each machine, Office prompts me to
    > insert the product key just as soon as I open for the
    > first time any Office 2000 document/application.
    >
    > Question:
    > Is there a way to insert the Product Key automatically in
    > the GPO or a configuration file, so that users won't get
    > prompted to insert this key?
    >
    > Appreciate your help.
    >
    > Thanks

    Andy,

    This may or may not work. I have never done it this way.

    The prescribed way is to initially do an Administrative installation of
    Office 2000 ( or XP or 2003 for that matter ) and use this as the source.
    You do an administrative installation by running setup.exe /a and using a
    shared network location as the 'destination'. When doing the administrative
    installation Ihab would be prompted once for the Product ID and never again.
    When creating the GPO package Ihab would simply point to the data1.msi file
    via the UNC format ( \\server\share\data1.msi ) and AD does the rest.

    Using a .mst file does not allow you to enter the Product ID ( IIRC ).
    Furthermore, I am not sure that you can make use of the .mst files after the
    fact. I am pretty sure that you have to do an Advanced Publish or Advanced
    Assign and stipulate the .mst files to be used at the time that you are
    creating the GPO. Either way, if Ihab did not specifically set up Advanced
    Publish or Advanced Assign then the .mst files are not available at all....

    HTH,

    Cary

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> said

    > Andy,
    >
    > This may or may not work. I have never done it this way.
    >
    > The prescribed way is to initially do an Administrative installation of
    > Office 2000 ( or XP or 2003 for that matter ) and use this as the
    > source. You do an administrative installation by running setup.exe /a
    > and using a shared network location as the 'destination'. When doing
    > the administrative installation Ihab would be prompted once for the
    > Product ID and never again. When creating the GPO package Ihab would
    > simply point to the data1.msi file via the UNC format (
    > \\server\share\data1.msi ) and AD does the rest.
    >
    > Using a .mst file does not allow you to enter the Product ID ( IIRC ).

    You may be correct there. In using the Custom Installation Wizard you first
    have to create the Admin Installation point, so it could have been there that
    I set the product ID. It was a long time ago.......

    Andy.

    PC,

    I would suggest that while this may work it might not be the best method in
    the long term. I would suggest using an Administrative Installation Point
    ( usually accomplished by running setup.exe /a and choosing a shared network
    location as the 'destination' ) and then using GPO to distribute this to the
    clients. Outlook - regardless if it is being installed alone or as a part
    of Office 2000/XP/2003 - can also benefit from the custom installation
    wizard as you can specify all of the 'Exchange' related information as well
    as from specific .adm files that allow you to make the changes at one
    location instead of having to manually enter them on each and every
    installation.

    Another benefit of the AIP/GPO approach is that you can apply Service Packs
    and 'hotfixes' ( probably the incorrect term ) to the AIP and then choose to
    'redeploy application' which will automagically deploy the 'updated' GPO
    software package again to the users or computers ( depending on how this was
    set up ) either at the next log off / log on or reboot. A very nice feature
    indeed!

    HTH,

    Cary

    PS. This is very useful information to have, though.

    "pc" <pc@pc.com> wrote in message
    > Indeed there is, I have used to to roll out Outlook 2003 using GPO.
    >
    > The command is:
    >
    > msiexec /a [msi file] PIDKEY="[CD key]
    >
    > So for example....
    >
    > msiexec /a d:\outlook\outlook.msi PIDKEY="YOUR KEY WITH NO SPACES OR
    DASHES"

    > You will be asked where you weant to install it, it wont actaully install
    > out but create a new set of insatll files that you would then use to
    deploy
    > via GPO.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > PC.
    >
    > "Ihab Abedrabbo" <ihab17@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hi
    > > I'm using Windows 2000 GPO to deploy Office 2000 to all
    > > clients in my domain. Office 2000 is ASSIGNED to computers
    > > of our domain. The installation goes OK when the client
    > > boots up and contacts the DC. Users can see all Office
    > > 2000 shorcuts/components on their clients.
    > >
    > > I have the PRODUCT KEY for Office 2000 written on the back
    > > of the original installation CD-ROM. Before deploying
    > > Office 2000 using GPO, a technician used to go personally
    > > to each client/user and install the product classically
    > > through the setup process...etc during which the
    > > technician is asked to insert the product key.
    > >
    > > Now that Office 2000 is deployed through GPO, and
    > > installed perfectly on each machine, Office prompts me to
    > > insert the product key just as soon as I open for the
    > > first time any Office 2000 document/application.
    > >
    > > Question:
    > > Is there a way to insert the Product Key automatically in
    > > the GPO or a configuration file, so that users won't get
    > > prompted to insert this key?
    > >
    > > Appreciate your help.
    > >
    > > Thanks

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    The command I mentioned creates a new set of install files which then can be
    used to distribute via GP. The command does not actually install the Office
    appilcation. If the install is an upgrade it will migrate the user
    'exchange' information.

    Maybe I didn't make it clear...sorry.

    Thanks,

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > > of our domain. The installation goes OK when the client
    > > > boots up and contacts the DC. Users can see all Office
    > > > 2000 shorcuts/components on their clients.
    > > >
    > > > I have the PRODUCT KEY for Office 2000 written on the back
    > > > of the original installation CD-ROM. Before deploying
    > > > Office 2000 using GPO, a technician used to go personally
    > > > to each client/user and install the product classically
    > > > through the setup process...etc during which the
    > > > technician is asked to insert the product key.
    > > >
    > > > Now that Office 2000 is deployed through GPO, and
    > > > installed perfectly on each machine, Office prompts me to
    > > > insert the product key just as soon as I open for the
    > > > first time any Office 2000 document/application.
    > > >
    > > > Question:
    > > > Is there a way to insert the Product Key automatically in
    > > > the GPO or a configuration file, so that users won't get

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Here's a link......

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;x223393&sd=tech

    "Ihab Abedrabbo" <ihab17@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Hi
    > I'm using Windows 2000 GPO to deploy Office 2000 to all
    > clients in my domain. Office 2000 is ASSIGNED to computers
    > of our domain. The installation goes OK when the client
    > boots up and contacts the DC. Users can see all Office
    > 2000 shorcuts/components on their clients.
    >
    > I have the PRODUCT KEY for Office 2000 written on the back
    > of the original installation CD-ROM. Before deploying
    > Office 2000 using GPO, a technician used to go personally
    > to each client/user and install the product classically
    > through the setup process...etc during which the
    > technician is asked to insert the product key.
    >
    > Now that Office 2000 is deployed through GPO, and
    > installed perfectly on each machine, Office prompts me to
    > insert the product key just as soon as I open for the
    > first time any Office 2000 document/application.
    >
    > Question:
    > Is there a way to insert the Product Key automatically in
    > the GPO or a configuration file, so that users won't get
    > prompted to insert this key?
    >
    > Appreciate your help.
    >
    > Thanks

Office Windows 2000 Windows